Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed in my Zigzag and Satin Stitch >

Disappointed in my Zigzag and Satin Stitch

Disappointed in my Zigzag and Satin Stitch

Old 03-10-2014, 02:36 PM

You have received many excellent suggestions...stabilizer, needles, presser foot, etc. One other thing you can try...Go around the item twice; first with a less dense and narrower zig zag, and then with the satin stitch zig zag. I used to do this when appliqueing my kids clothes years ago. Something about the first zig zag made the second time around look better. I heard someone say that on a sewing program once too, so decided I wasn't just me that needed to do that to get a nice satin stitch.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
A 1973 Elna 62C is my satin stitch go to machine. I can't speak for the newer machines. All my old metal machines that zigzag do a nice job but the Elna does a great job.
I have this same old machine that I inherited from my mom, and I'd have to agree that it's outstanding, but surely the Sapphire can do great satin stitch. The most likely causes would be the wrong foot or tension. Check the recommendations for you machine. It should be clearly explained in the manual.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by baywinds View Post
Are all of you that are recommending stabilizer, referring to the fusible products, such as WonderUnder, heat n bond,etc for better results? Or are you suggesting additional tear away or cutaway products with the fusible? Would love a few more details on the technique you are referring to.Thanks
No fusible but a good tear away can make a lot of difference.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
No fusible but a good tear away can make a lot of difference.
The web fusibiles you mention are to adhere the applique to the background so they don't lift up and ripple as you are stitching them. The stabilizer is a temporary piece put behind the background to add body to the piece while you are stitching then removed. I have a 40 year old singer U20 set up just for the satin stitch (it can also do a straight stitch). When I first bought it I burned out the motor and had to have a larger one installed. That was the last time my machine saw a repairman. I do the necessary cleaning and oil stuff. I just ordered 12 more rolls of non-woven wall liner paper. Some of my appliques are huge and I need a lot! It usually falls off as I stitch. The only weird thing is that my machines have dials with no numbers or markings!
Attached Thumbnails ready-blog-16.jpg  
Old 03-11-2014, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
also have a Featherweight, but that needs a new motor
Are you sure it needs a new motor? There are lots of things you can do to service one of those little motors - like changing the brushes, filling the grease tubes, cleaning the commutator, sometimes even just removing old oil that was put in that shouldn't have been. Even wiring can be addressed.

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Don't! I am a twit............................ I meant 'blanket'
I'd try the buttonhole stitch anyway... it's often a nice "satin" stitch if you can get it long enough. i.e. isn't programmed to only do "x" long, but will go until you change modes.

Originally Posted by MarthaT View Post
Go around the item twice; first with a less dense and narrower zig zag, and then with the satin stitch zig zag.
This is a trick lots of people do with the buttonholes as well. It just makes them look a lot nicer.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:09 PM

[QUOTE=ArchaicArcane;6621745]Are you sure it needs a new motor? There are lots of things you can do to service one of those little motors - like changing the brushes, filling the grease tubes, cleaning the commutator, sometimes even just removing old oil that was put in that shouldn't have been. Even wiring can be addressed.

I had it serviced last year and it helped a little, but it overheats very quickly whenever I use it. My service guy is good and I trust his judgement. He thought a new motor was the answer. I don't remember if all was rewired, but it does have a new foot pedal and wiring to the machine. I used that baby a lot and wouldn't be surprised if the previous owner did also. It's a sweet machine! It is 68 years old, it wouldn't surprise me to need a new motor. It's the original that's on there.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
I had it serviced last year and it helped a little, but it overheats very quickly whenever I use it. My service guy is good and I trust his judgement. He thought a new motor was the answer. I don't remember if all was rewired, but it does have a new foot pedal and wiring to the machine. I used that baby a lot and wouldn't be surprised if the previous owner did also. It's a sweet machine! It is 68 years old, it wouldn't surprise me to need a new motor. It's the original that's on there.
The motor overheats, or the pedal? Motor overheating is usually a belt too tight. If it's the original pedal and the pedal's overheating, the pedal required adjustment.

It's worth looking into either one since both fixes are free and a FW motor isn't cheap. I have directions on my site regarding the pedal, and sew-classic.com has a good article on how to tighten a belt properly. The last service guy (Singer Certified) who touched one of my vintage machines installed the belt way too tight. I loosened it when I got home and had no trouble at all.

Elizabeth did a great write up here too: http://mysewingmachineobsession.blog...221-motor.html