Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discard UFOs? >

Discard UFOs?

Discard UFOs?

Old 03-24-2016, 10:46 AM

They're done! I'm going to write a new post...
Old 03-24-2016, 10:48 AM

Default Discard UFOs? Done!

Following my earlier post: my pile of unfinished quilts is sorted! And it was easy and didn't take long: I looked at the first one, felt no joy at all and put it aside. Half a dozen still sparked enthusiasm - I loved colours, pattern, design, so I kept those. The rest can go to someone or a charity who will appreciate them more than I can, and hopefully finish and make use of them. I'm sure the job was so easy because I'd spent a few days letting my mind work on it and discussing it here and on a Marie Kondo decluttering group- I was clear about what reaction I was looking for and the need to dispose of the ones that were weighing me down. A very interesting exercise - many thanks to all those whose comments have been so helpful.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

A thought that might help with dealing with the money spent on them -

If one goes to a play or concert - or on a trip - or eating out - after the experience, one has the memories of the experience and the expense was part of having the experience.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
A thought that might help with dealing with the money spent on them -

If one goes to a play or concert - or on a trip - or eating out - after the experience, one has the memories of the experience and the expense was part of having the experience.
Yes, that's very true. I was looking at the largest of them, a Storm at Sea cleverly used to make a Christmas bauble design, but for which I now don't like my fabric choices and which was too big for my wall anyway. I began to think about the time and money wasted - but I got lots of practice at paper piecing and at least learned something about how not to choose fabrics! So it wasn't wasted.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:04 AM

I came back to check in on your progress. I am pleased for you that you've been able to sort and plan your donations. I need to do the same on a smaller scale. I've taken classes in the past and then not cared for the what was accomplished in the class time. A quilting friend told me that if you learn at least one thing from a class, it has been a success. And if you've learned that you don't like the technique, that counts! I bet you feel a lot lighter and ready to accomplish other more joy inspiring things!
Old 03-25-2016, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

check with churches alot of women make quilts and would be glad to do them
Old 03-25-2016, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
I came back to check in on your progress. I am pleased for you that you've been able to sort and plan your donations. I need to do the same on a smaller scale. I've taken classes in the past and then not cared for the what was accomplished in the class time. A quilting friend told me that if you learn at least one thing from a class, it has been a success. And if you've learned that you don't like the technique, that counts! I bet you feel a lot lighter and ready to accomplish other more joy inspiring things!
Thanks for coming back! By the end of yesterday, a sack of UFOs, another of fabric and 2 of scraps had left my sewing room. I could feel the room sigh with relief! I do feel much lighter and very relieved, that ive dealt with a situation that was really oppressing my creativity.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:41 AM

That is great. Enjoy your hard work!
Old 03-28-2016, 08:41 AM

When I moved my shop, I donated some of the unquilted tops to the local senior center. They were so appreciative. The folks there would quilt them and raffle the off. They use the money for their trips to Amish country, etc.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:56 AM

I am in the process of down-sizing. My husband and I are looking to sell our 4 bedroom house and move into an apartment. As I declutter and decide on stuff I'm taking with us, I've had to look at my "bursting at the seams" quilt studio. I am a scrap quilter and besides all the fabric I purchase myself, people give me their scraps to use. To organize them, I took a "scrap therapy" workshop and embarked on cutting the scraps into useable strips and squares....but now I have a room full of useable scraps that I would have to live to be 100 to use. I am so lucky that I belong to a quilt guild. Every month, I sort through a different category and bring in stuff to put on our "free" table. Members of the guild are thrilled with my squares, strips, partially finished blocks.....and I get rid of stuff. I found I do have to step up my pace....next on the list is to go through my fabric yardage and decide if I think I'll be using it in this lifetime....and if not, it'll go to the free table as well.