Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discouraged >

Discouraged

Discouraged

Old 03-03-2011, 04:47 PM

Quit reading and start quilting! The more you read, the more confused you will get, and it's really quite simple. If you can sew a straight 1/4" seam, you can make a quilt. Cut a couple of squares the same size, sew them right sides together, press, and you're started! Don't worry about the size of the finished project, the binding, the backing, the quilting, etc. etc. . . . That will all come in time.

Just cut accurately (rotary cutter and mat is the easiest), sew on the 1/4' mark, and you're good to go!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Please don't get discouraged! There are many many one patch patterns. Why not try a simple four patch or nine patch? Try a two color quilt using squares. They are very pretty!
This is what start my newbies on....they have all made it and are doing great..just keep going..maby you just need to jump in with something small..like maby a table runner ......hugzzzz
Old 03-03-2011, 04:54 PM

Hi Furza Flyin, It may have already been mentioned in one of these 11 pages but can you tell me where to find the tutorial on using the Elmers glue? Thanx so much, in advance.

Esther
Old 03-03-2011, 04:56 PM

There are amazing quilters on here....don`t think i`ll ever get that good , but it doesn`t stop me because i find quilting very relaxing, and rewarding...start with simple squares...you will soon become addicted too....good luck!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:06 PM

I just did a D9P with the center block bright green and the other 8 are black and white. Cut horizontal and vertical and put together in random order. So cool and so easy. My first quilt top and I just love it. Not quilted yet. Just go for it!!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:17 PM

Hello. Please don't get discouraged. It is hard to take the first step doing anything new. Start small and simple. When I was teaching I usually gave the first block as the 9Patch. It is just 3 rows of blocks,any size that you want to use. I prefer 3 1/2 inch sq. They do not have to match. You will need 9 sqs for the block. Lay them in front of you and move them around untill it pleases you. Then sew the top row of 3 together side by side. Then sew the second 3 oieces the same way,and finally the 3rd row. Lay they down like you had them Lay the first row on top of the second row, Pin the seams,thensew. Spread what you have sewn out and lay the third row over the pieced section. Pin the seams and sew. Lay it face up. You have just made you first quilt block. That did not hurt
In a store that sells fabric, or even some grocery stores sell quilt books, They have a section of how to . Also you can check at the local library and find a lot of books on quilting. Good Luck.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:44 PM

Don't get discouraged. Buy a couple charm packs and then material for a border or two. It is very easy as they are 5" squares and just lay them out and sew them. It all takes time and we all started from the beginning. I have been quilting for about 5 years and still don't know everything or able to sew perfectly. Have fun and enjoy
Old 03-03-2011, 05:45 PM

Oh please, don't get discouraged! You are just having 'information overload', LOL.

Take time to breathe and relax.

If you only want to do squares, then do it... 4 patches, 9 patches, or even single blocks in a simple quilt, maybe 'I spy' quilt. Very easy, no fuss no muss.

Now, if you want to do a bunch of 4 patches, scrappy or otherwise, you can try Billie Lauder's 'Ultimate scrappy 4 patch' tecnique ... ala video tutorial ...

http://www.quilterstv.com/channel/video/0?video=1415

I love the quilts in her video and I've been cutting my scraps into 5" sqs for this technique or even the disappearing 9 patch.

I hope I'm not 'overloading' you again!

Just have FUN!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:48 PM

You can do this. Just cut the squares all the same size and start stitching. If you want a real design go with "A Trip Around the World." It is the same concept just placement is different using certain colors. Go for it!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:49 PM

Look up the quilt called potato chip. It is blocks with sashing around each block, very easy. Things seem overwelming however jump right in and give it a try. We learn as we go. A bought quilt will not give you the satisfaction of making your own. This board is here to help and boy are they right there to do so.