Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Discouraged

Vat
    You might try the 4 patch or a 9 patch with lots of success. Really simple with the right directions. Just don't give up, it's too much fun.

I am a brand new quilter (working on my first quilt as we speak). I signed up at a local quilt shop for a beginning class using the 9 patch pattern. I was the only one signed up, so they didn't hold the class. Since I had purchased everything for the quilt, I jumped into it and am having a blast, amazed at how easy it is. I picked out 6 fabrics, cut them into strips 4 1/2 inches wide, sewed three long strips together and then the other three long strips together, cut them across at 4 1/2 inches and made two sets of blocks. It sounds a bit confusing, but it was VERY easy. Try to find a 9 patch pattern and just jump in. You will be having a blast before you know it!! Good luck

I bought the book "Quilt with Confidence" by Nancy Zeiman at JoAnns. She starts you out with a simple 4 patch and goes on with easy directions and diagrams to 9 patch and some other patterns. I've been quilting for a long time and some of her tips made things easier for me. Please go look at this book and see if you like it before you give up. I'd hate for you to miss out on the fun.

Is there any way you can take a beginners quilting class? I started with one at a quilt shop and found it so helpful. I know I am a hands-on learner who needs someone to actually show me what to do. From there as was able to take off on my own, although, I am one who needs a pattern. Hang in there and try to find what works for you. It is worth it!

hang in there girl..if blocks are your thing..so be it..eventually you;ll come around and try something else...

You can,t get much easier than a four or nine patch. And they are really fun if they are scrappy.

Do you have a rotary cutter and ruler? Has anyone shown you how to use them? You need to start with the basics.

:wink: Hang in there! Start with inexpensive fabric and just cut and stitch and learn by doing! If it turns out 'wrong' who is to know?!

Don't be discouraged. Go to quilterscache.com. There are
    several patterns with just squares. I love this site with so many
    patterns. You can choose your own difficulty or simple pattern.

Don't be discouraged. The pattern Yellow Brick Road is an easy, but looks complicated, pattern. Also Rail Fence is a good pattern for new quilters. Just don't give up. Quilting is so much fun and so enjoyable.

Quit reading and start quilting! The more you read, the more confused you will get, and it's really quite simple. If you can sew a straight 1/4" seam, you can make a quilt. Cut a couple of squares the same size, sew them right sides together, press, and you're started! Don't worry about the size of the finished project, the binding, the backing, the quilting, etc. etc. . . . That will all come in time.

Just cut accurately (rotary cutter and mat is the easiest), sew on the 1/4' mark, and you're good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by scowlkat
    Please don't get discouraged! There are many many one patch patterns. Why not try a simple four patch or nine patch? Try a two color quilt using squares. They are very pretty!
    This is what start my newbies on....they have all made it and are doing great..just keep going..maby you just need to jump in with something small..like maby a table runner ......hugzzzz

Hi Furza Flyin, It may have already been mentioned in one of these 11 pages but can you tell me where to find the tutorial on using the Elmers glue? Thanx so much, in advance.

Esther

There are amazing quilters on here....don`t think i`ll ever get that good , but it doesn`t stop me because i find quilting very relaxing, and rewarding...start with simple squares...you will soon become addicted too....good luck!!!

Blog Entries
    I just did a D9P with the center block bright green and the other 8 are black and white. Cut horizontal and vertical and put together in random order. So cool and so easy. My first quilt top and I just love it. Not quilted yet. Just go for it!!

Hello. Please don't get discouraged. It is hard to take the first step doing anything new. Start small and simple. When I was teaching I usually gave the first block as the 9Patch. It is just 3 rows of blocks,any size that you want to use. I prefer 3 1/2 inch sq. They do not have to match. You will need 9 sqs for the block. Lay them in front of you and move them around untill it pleases you. Then sew the top row of 3 together side by side. Then sew the second 3 oieces the same way,and finally the 3rd row. Lay they down like you had them Lay the first row on top of the second row, Pin the seams,thensew. Spread what you have sewn out and lay the third row over the pieced section. Pin the seams and sew. Lay it face up. You have just made you first quilt block. That did not hurt
    In a store that sells fabric, or even some grocery stores sell quilt books, They have a section of how to . Also you can check at the local library and find a lot of books on quilting. Good Luck.

Don't get discouraged. Buy a couple charm packs and then material for a border or two. It is very easy as they are 5" squares and just lay them out and sew them. It all takes time and we all started from the beginning. I have been quilting for about 5 years and still don't know everything or able to sew perfectly. Have fun and enjoy

Oh please, don't get discouraged! You are just having 'information overload', LOL.

Take time to breathe and relax.

If you only want to do squares, then do it... 4 patches, 9 patches, or even single blocks in a simple quilt, maybe 'I spy' quilt. Very easy, no fuss no muss.

Now, if you want to do a bunch of 4 patches, scrappy or otherwise, you can try Billie Lauder's 'Ultimate scrappy 4 patch' tecnique ... ala video tutorial ...

http://www.quilterstv.com/channel/video/0?video=1415

I love the quilts in her video and I've been cutting my scraps into 5" sqs for this technique or even the disappearing 9 patch.

I hope I'm not 'overloading' you again!

Just have FUN!

Blog Entries
    You can do this. Just cut the squares all the same size and start stitching. If you want a real design go with "A Trip Around the World." It is the same concept just placement is different using certain colors. Go for it!

Look up the quilt called potato chip. It is blocks with sashing around each block, very easy. Things seem overwelming however jump right in and give it a try. We learn as we go. A bought quilt will not give you the satisfaction of making your own. This board is here to help and boy are they right there to do so.

nothing comes easily to me...i gripe very often and feel discouraged, but things have a way of working out and i do learn from my mistakes...i read somewhere that most quilts can be broken down into the basic patterns that you're bored with, it's just a matter of how they are put together..i think if you focus more on the pattern (end goal) and the beautiful fabric you're working with, you may enjoy it or you can make a quilt that uses applique if you know how to do that...hope i contributed something :-) good luck either way..

Please don't give up!!!! The following link will take you to a tutorial that is really easy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Missouri...25/dEjZOXxPazg

Quote Originally Posted by wraez
    Oh please, don't get discouraged! You are just having 'information overload', LOL.

Take time to breathe and relax.

If you only want to do squares, then do it... 4 patches, 9 patches, or even single blocks in a simple quilt, maybe 'I spy' quilt. Very easy, no fuss no muss.

Now, if you want to do a bunch of 4 patches, scrappy or otherwise, you can try Billie Lauder's 'Ultimate scrappy 4 patch' tecnique ... ala video tutorial ...

http://www.quilterstv.com/channel/video/0?video=1415

I love the quilts in her video and I've been cutting my scraps into 5" sqs for this technique or even the disappearing 9 patch.

I hope I'm not 'overloading' you again!

Just have FUN!
    I just love Billie Lauder. I have ever since I saw her on Simply Quilts. Her video looks like a great one but I can't get it to play right. It stops and starts over and over again. What I did see, looks like something I'd like to try.

GailG, sorry the Billie Lauder video is giving you problems, maybe it is a 'computer' thing ... I can view it straight thru with no problems at all.

Maybe give it a try another time?

It is a wonderful tutorial, I'm working on making lots of scrappy sqs to use her technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmacc502
    For weeks I have watched videos, read articles, searched forums, and I am more discouraged than ever. All you quilters make everything sound so easy. I can't find just a simple patch pattern. I don't want stars, diamonds, triangles, just squares. I am getting burned out on all the info and still not knowing anymore than I did when I started. I think I'll just buy a quilt.
    Simply pick a size block you would like to use; cut several; sew them together and you have a quilt. If you like add strips between the blocks (sashing) and a border. Example: cut 20 block size 5 1/2" square; sew 1" sashing strips to two sides (ie: top and left) using 1/4" seams with the end squares getting the extra side sashed; sew all these rectangles together and you have a quilt top. Good luck

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast