Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Discouraged

We are all here to help you so don't be afraid to ask any question at all.

I just love Billie Lauder. I have ever since I saw her on Simply Quilts. Her video looks like a great one but I can't get it to play right. It stops and starts over and over again. What I did see, looks like something I'd like to try.[/quote]

I had problems with quilters tv yesterday too. A box kept popping up and I had to delete it if I wanted to see the video.

Don't be discouraged. There is so many patterns out there that it is hard to choose. If you don't want just one type of squares, make a "sampler quilt". This is a quilt that you can use all different types of blocks and then put them in one quilt. You can find block patterns on the sites mentioned. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    I understand just how you feel. I am new to quilting (less than a year) and was overwhelmed at all the information.

I found a group of wonderful ladies who make charity quilts. The patterned they use is called "Wicked Easy Quilts". You sew 6 pieces (square or rectangle) together and you have a very large block. We make the crib size and it only takes 6 blocks (2x3).

Then they only use the the large border and not the smaller.

I used this pattern to help a someone make a quilt that had not sewed a stitch.

This is a link to the pattern.

http://www.orgsites.com/il/projectli...s_patterns.pdf

I hope this helps.

I have a ton of books , magazines, etc but I think the internet is the best place to find patterns. Search for 4 patch blocks or 9 patch blocks. Both are simple and will get you started. Will also get you used to lots of the terminology which can be frightening for someone trying to learn about quilting.

Please don't be discouraged. This is my first reply. Turning Twenty and Turning Twenty again are great and simple. Also when my friend started me in my journey to quilt the first thing she told me was to look at it 1 block at a time not the whole quilt. I still do this. I enjoy it so much, you will too.

boo bear
    Name:  Attachment-142145.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  816.4 KB

Most of us started with patches. Beware, though, once you sew a few simple patches together and see how beautiful they are, you're hooked for life. Quilters TV has a video by Billie Lauder on making four patches. Also on you tube Missouri Quilt Company gives tutorials for beginners. Don't worry too much about everything being perfect, just start sewing and the more you do, the easier it gets!! Good luck. You can even buy the patches all cut out already in a charm pack if you're too nervous about cutting them. That would be an easy way to start too!!

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by scowlkat
    Just saw this quilt on here and it is a simple pattern:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-104337-1.htm
    I took a look at this one and agree. This would be the perfect one for you to start with. Just cut out your squares of fabric and sew them together according to the pictures. It is lovely, and as simple as it gets. Don't worry yourself thinking about all the other stuff. Just start off real easy. Soon you'll be ready for a few more steps like the four patch and nine patch. It's a building process. Don't allow yourself to be discouraged! If the ladies from times long ago could do it with only a pair of scissors and a needle & thread, think of what you can do!! If the thought of quilting it scares you, simply tie it, nothing could be easier. Best of luck!!

8-)

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    Don't give up..I will be happy to talk you thru every step...Lets do squares...If you don't have enough, I will send you some...Start with a 4 or 5 inch square...It will be fun...Lets get started...

I feel discouraged just like you ....I don't know how to set colors to make it attractive and don't know much fabric to buy. I want to make
    a full size easy peasy quilt..well two of them by Christmas for granddaughters...ugh..I am feeling pressures.
    One of them needs to be b/w with a touch of red and the other needs to be red, black and tan.
    I have looked at kits but the size and colors do not coordinate.
    So, here I sit...looking through books and magazines to get something to grab me.
    Time is getting shorter and shorter...I need to buy and get started. I know how to hand quilt, but have never put one together. I love hand quilting..it is so relaxing to me.
    Good luck hon.
    Hugs, Dee

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    D don't get discouraged...is there anywhere close to you where you can take a class or a quilt guild? they will be a great help. I did my 1st quilt out of the rail fence pattern. It was so easy. Don't give up!! If I can be of any help send me a PM and I will try and help you in anyway I can..
    Happy Stitchin' Linda B.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmacc502
    For weeks I have watched videos, read articles, searched forums, and I am more discouraged than ever. All you quilters make everything sound so easy. I can't find just a simple patch pattern. I don't want stars, diamonds, triangles, just squares. I am getting burned out on all the info and still not knowing anymore than I did when I started. I think I'll just buy a quilt.

Hang in there. A simple pattern is a 4 patch or a rail fence.

I have been quilting for a long time, but I don't do elaborate in intricate patterns. My favorite is the dnp (which was explained earlier). I have just found one that has pieces that are rectangular (3x6, 4x7 maybe). Sew them into a strips. Off set the strips so that you aren't matching seams. That's the one I'm going to try next.

Also, don't get stuck thinking big. I make placemats and hot pads. I make table toppers and runners and wall hangings. It's easier to try something new if it's not huge. Good luck and hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle
    I kinda feel like you do sometimes. I'm pretty new too. I have done a Rail Fence, D9P, Bow Ties, Jacobs Ladder, and a few with triangles. All have been pretty easy. Still don't feel comfortable enough to do a block with lots of piecing. Everyone says a Pin Wheel is easy, but I just can't do it. The one quilt I did which I really like and was super easy was the Jacobs Ladder. I only used 2 colors and it turned out great. I used a darker blue pattern fabric for the ladder part and and white with a light blue pattern for the back ground. You should try this one. Really easy and all squares. :thumbup:
    Pinwheels are really easy if you use the two square process. Take one light and one dark square right sides together. Sew a quarter inch seam all around the four outer edges. Now cut on both diagonals. Lay them out to form pinwheels and sew them together. No sewing little triangles.

Blog Entries
    Sure hope you don't quit. there have been some very good ones named here that use only squares.

There is a tutorial in the tute section of this board. Just look for "Easiest Pinwheels" and you will find it.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieR
    The problem is, some of the most talented quilters in the world are members of this forum and it's very easy to be intimidated by that. I also sometimes feel like the bar has been raised so high I can never achieve it!

But out there in the "real world" most people don't know a nine patch from an art quilt. They don't dwell on perfect seams and points. All they know about is the love and time you took to think of them and make their quilts.

Don't let the "honors class" scare you. I'm in the beginner/intermediate stage myself, so I ooh and aah at the pretty pretty, and then sit down and sew my squares together. My squares are better for my having been here and yours will be, too. :)

Julie...I loved your response and thought it said it all!!!

I am cutting my 1st quilt tonight. Like you I didn't know where to start. I have a family occasion coming up, I picked a pattern & material for that. Even though I sewed extensively, it was 30yrs ago. This is so different! because of a surgery, my right hand is numb & weak, so I couldn,t feel the ruler thing moving. My 1st cuts look like I was drunk.LOL. I decided to use a marking pencil on the wrong side of the fabric to help me keep straight, it worked! The point is , you don't have to be conventional. You have to laugh @ yourself & HAVE FUN. You didn,t ride a bike the !st time you got on, & didn,t read the 1st book you held. It,s a new skill have fun .Do it for you! LUV D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmacc502
    For weeks I have watched videos, read articles, searched forums, and I am more discouraged than ever. All you quilters make everything sound so easy. I can't find just a simple patch pattern. I don't want stars, diamonds, triangles, just squares. I am getting burned out on all the info and still not knowing anymore than I did when I started. I think I'll just buy a quilt.
    You must not give up. Start small like the one below. If you use the search here and elsewhere, you can see how many varieties can be made with this simple pattern, called Irish Chain. Eleanor Burns wrote my first pattern book about Irish Chain quilts. Try ebay to find a copy?
    Here is one I made recently. Good luck.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-73306-1.htm

Blog Entries
    Don't get discouraged my dear, don't look no more, just
    look for a simple block and start. The more you search ,the more doubt. I bet once you get started you will make bunches.

How about just sewing some squares together? No pattern, just cut and sew. You'll be surprised what you can come up with! Take a deep breath and begin. :thumbup:

like an irish chain maybe.........

quilt in a day has a scrappy 9 patch...............

My first quilt a rail fence which looks difficult but is only some strips sewn together then arranged in steps. I would send you the info if you are interested. Don't get discouraged, we all had to start somewhere. I was 58 when I took up quilting, add quickly, 11 years of quilting or sewing. lol

a regular here
    Please dont give up I did`nt start to patch until I was 66. . my work is NEVER perfect but that dos`nt worry me at all . I get the greatest pleasure from simlpy having a go.If it isint perfect the world wont end . Enjoy the challenge.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast