Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Discouraged

Please don't be discouraged... I agree with others...simple squares or even rail fence would be a good starting place. Perhaps a small project to start with... to build confidence.

If you just want to start with a plain block quilt here is the instructions.
    1. decide what size blocks you want to use.
    2. cut blocks the finished size plus 1/2 inch.
    3. start sewing blocks in a row until the quilt is the width you want.
    4. from this row decide how long you want you first quilt to be.
    5. multiply the number of blocks across by the number of block down and then subtract the number of blocks you already have cut.
    6. cut the remaining blocks out.
    7. sew the blocks into rows like the first one you did.
    8. press the seams to the left on even rows and to the right on odd rows.
    9. sew the rows together in 2s ie 1+2 3+4 5+6. pin the seams so they line up and don't move.
    10. keep sewing and pressing rows until you have one finished top.
    Important points: Make sure all blocks are cut the exact same size. Make sure all seams are the same width. Most quilter's use 1/4 inch seams but I have seen larger. It is only important that all seams are equal so blocks line up when sewing into rows.
    I hope these simply instructions help you be less frustrated.

This is what I love about this site everyone is so helpful . I suck at quilting but what I read makes me say heck just keep going I'm bound to get it right. and the things I have done have a LOT off errors but I tell people it's to remind them no one is perfect we all have flaws... and my family agrees with that lol just hang in there keep going at it when you get fustrated stop and do something else then come back to it youl'll be showing your great quilts on this site real soon

Hi Susan I cound not agree more. I have sold Quilts I have made at craft shows and people don't understand that fact, so they thing i want too much money for my things

Yeah, you can get a lot of stuff from the internet for free, but not the real experience of seeing what's "out there". 15 minutes in any fabric/craft/quilting store will have you overloaded with simple patterns. Some people NEED to buy the pattern book and read and follow the printed directions. It really won't bankrupt you to buy just one quilting book. (Stopping with just one is the hard part.)Actually I get some of my best ideas by just browsing through the quilting books at JoAnns.

My first quilts were rag quilts for babies. Find some cute frog or princess cotton or flannel and go to about.com and search rag quilt. It's all simple square blocks and you don't have to worry about your corners lining up perfectly. I did a couple, then I found some fabric so beautiful that I just couldn't rag. I took a hands on class at my LQS and I haven't stopped since.

Blog Entries
    Please on't give up! When I get overwhelmed, I tell myself that I"ll do just one seam, and then I can quit if I want to. And, sometimes I do put it down & move on. BUT, sometimes I'll sew "just one more seam" ,and success breads
    sucess & self-confidence. Was it Charlie Chaplin who said that "The biggest factor to success in life is just showing up!" So show up at that machine and do it. The first part of learning anything is learning technique, and then you'll have the freedom to make artistic decisions. As someone told me in my early thirties, "You're just having growing pains!" It made me laugh, & helped put things in perspective.

try qnntv.com Mary Fons starts from the basics and I mean basics. Threading the machine and goes from there, filling bobbin and on. This seems to be a good site. I think one of the first quilts is an Irish Chain, which is square blocks. Good luck!

Oh my goodness, please don't be overwhelmed, once you start you won't be able to quit! You can buy some 5" or 10" pre-cut squares and put them together. Add 1 or 2 boarders and voila -a quilt is born.

Don't give up! HAVE FUN!!! And start small!!!

You seem to be making too much of it. My first pattern was turning twenty. Went quickly and made large squares. Stop researching it so much and just choose a pattern and go with it. It will be more rewarding and you won't be sorry.

Blog Entries
    Find a pretty panel and just sew 3" strips around it. It can be georgous. Keepsake qUILTING HAS SOME VERY CHEAP Whole small kits $20.00 Panel backing and batting. Call them they are in Nh and they will tell you which one one the web. Just go to keepsakequilting.com Have fun.

Don't give up! 9 Patch and 4 Patch only use squares and they make beautiful quilts. Once you are comfortable with them, you can make Disappearing 9 Patches and 4-to-9 Patches and still work with squares and rectangles!

Personally, I really LOVE working with squares :wink:

Power Poster
    Please don't be overwhelmed. Quilting is great therapy. There are several beginner patterns, log cabin, 4 patch, 9 patch, and rail fence to name a few. Besides I still really doing the above named patterns. Have been quilting for 11 years but will never be an expert quilter but it is still my passion.

Dmacc no one wakes up one day and knows how to make a quilt. We learn with one quilt at a time taking baby steps. Begin with a small project and then challenge yourself with a new technique on the next project. Ask a lot of questions. Someone will have the answer.

If you want to do simple patterns using only squares and rectangles, check out the free patterns available on the internet (at such sites as mentioned by other members). Then go to any store where you can purchase school supplies. Pick up one package of graph paper and one box of colored pencils. From there, you can create any number of beautiful designs you can think of. The simplicity of the simple square, perhaps combined with a simple rectangle, can create some of the most elegant quilts!

Don't get discouraged! All you have to do is just get started and everything will fall into place. Begin by making a baby quilt and go from there. If you don't know anybody who is going to have a baby, donate it to a charitable organization. They will accept it. If you make any mistakes, the baby won't care. They will just be warm.

Simple table runners are great for beginners. You get to learn new techniques and you don't have to make a lot of blocks or fret about perfection on your first projects. A little experience is better than a lot of planning and doing nothing or being discouraged.

It seems the general opinion is for you to try a 9 patch and I agree- it was my first quilt when I was a girl and still love making them- they are so simple but yet can look complicated - it's all in your fabric and layout - several people have suggested pillows or baby quilts which are both very good suggestions ut I'd like to throw in another - try a mini quilt - it would give you all the elements ofa full size quilt but allow you to coplete your quilt easier - there are so many quilt patterns thatI have moved to mini quilts so that I can try more patterns faster - About.com has several mini quilt patterns or you could simply reduce a regular size pattern to a smaller size - whatever you descide good luck - p.s. I've posted a picture of my most recent mini quilt on the pictures page (a nine patch) if you would like to see it

I decided I don`t have or want one of those fancy machines but want to quilt. They don`t want my offer of sqares quilted and tied for a soldier in Afganistan because it is different from the machine quilted. Well I like it so I will give it for a Christmas gift.My son in law built a quilting frame for me and that is great by me. You must follow your own path by taking the best of what you can learn and use it. I bought a video of a famous quilter and couldn`t listen to it. She was soooo strange. I`ll be ok without it.Try to draw your own ideas. Cut everything with a 1/2 inch extra for 1/4 seams on each side and you will be pleased at what you can do.

Please don't be discouraged...
    Know that once you do start... accurate cutting and consistency with sewing seams is important.
    You will find a lot of useful info here... and never be afraid to ask a question... quilters are very helpful people!

Blog Entries
    Why not try a 9 patch with sashing. Picture of 9 patch which is my favorite block and what I learned on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmacc502
    For weeks I have watched videos, read articles, searched forums, and I am more discouraged than ever. All you quilters make everything sound so easy. I can't find just a simple patch pattern. I don't want stars, diamonds, triangles, just squares. I am getting burned out on all the info and still not knowing anymore than I did when I started. I think I'll just buy a quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My sister and I each made a quilt cutting a 2and 1/2 inch block out of every fabric in our huge stash and sharing with one another. We didn't really us a pattern just sewed them in 4 patch blocks than sewed them together put prairie points around it and loved it. We fussy cut if we had small objects in the print, like a rose, butterfly, etc the others were just that block squares are easy to work with and you can do lots with them

Try googling Blooming 9 patch. Just simple squares. You do the design work with the fabrics. They are so neat.
    Robin in TX

Sometimes you just have to hop in and start....who knows where the journey will take you!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast