Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Discouraged

how about just a 9 patch block.......

Blocks 3 across and 3 down.......

for a 9"finished square, you would use nine 3 1'2"x3 1/2" squares......

Nothing easier than a rail fence. Grab three fabrics, cut strips 3 inches wide, sew the strips together, iron them, cut the strips into 8 inch sections, and assemble your quilt. Or do a simple 9 patch and square. When/if you run into a snag come to the board, or take your project to a local quilt shop, and ask for the next step.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try a Double Irish Chain quilt. It's classic, and looks much harder than it is. Eleanor Burns has a wonderful book on this type of quilt called "Irish Chain in a Day." Her directions are very easy to follow. Check your local library. I'm sure they'd have a copy.

just cut out 9 squares whatever size you want, sew them together in strips of three, press then sew the 3 strips together and press you have a simple nine patch square

just cut out 9 squares whatever size you want, sew them together in strips of three, press then sew the 3 strips together and press you have a simple nine patch square

Well, I will put in my 2 cents. I also am less than a year quilting. So here is my suggestion: Start by making a few different table hot pads. One block at a time...finish it off, so you get many phases of the entire process. Start small. Then maybe do a small table runner or a small quilt. That is how I started. By the way...the rail fence is the easiest in my opinion. Just go for it. You will be so proud when you do your first hot pad and then go from there.

Blog Entries
    Hi There please don't get discouraged with making quilts. I am kind of new to this as well, I have made several quilts, but if you just want to do squares there are a lot of free patterns on quilterscache.com, from really easy to difficult. Go on that website and see what you can find. If you need anymore help please feel free to PM me at anytime and I will be glad to help you if I can. Don't give up ok. I am sure that you can find something that you like there ok. Sending you HUGS.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmacc502
    For weeks I have watched videos, read articles, searched forums, and I am more discouraged than ever. All you quilters make everything sound so easy. I can't find just a simple patch pattern. I don't want stars, diamonds, triangles, just squares. I am getting burned out on all the info and still not knowing anymore than I did when I started. I think I'll just buy a quilt.
    Don't get discouraged. there are so many simple quilts that you can make using blocks. One is the Rail Fence. Another one is just a simple nine patch. Then there is the Journey to Arkansas. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be doing the more complicated patterns before you know it. If you can't find these patterns and would like to have them, just PM me. I'll be glad to share and lend a helping hand if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    My first quilt was a Log Cabin. Easy and very forgiving. I would suggest using a Jelly Roll or Honey Bun pre cuts to make the log cabin blocks. You get to jump right to the fun part and not have to cut the strips. If you don't have fun with first quilts you will be discouraged fast.
    Fabulous idea. I hope you get to have fun with it and get some confidence. Good luck from across the water.

Sending you a pm

We all started with something more simple than what we are doing now. Don't give up. I just checked out the quilt done in all squares and it is very pretty. Squares are a good place to start. If you aren't sure about cutting, try a charm square pack. they are more expensive than yardage, but they have a good variety of patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by pattilynn
    Turning Twenty is a very easy pattern. you should try it
    I agree...try Turning Twenty...You get to pick out 20 great fat quarters and then cut and sew it together in a weekend.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I think this is a "nine-patch" quilt. That is what I started with and found it quite easy. I think maybe start out with a lap quilt or twin quilt. Just jump and do it. We all make mistakes--sometimes our points don't match, our seams aren't straight and our border bow out. It's o.k.--just quilt for the joy of it and the satisfaction that you DID it. I would encourage you!

Blog Entries
    Maybe you are looking to much.I know I get all undecided when the choices are to many.....I tell myself, "pick one and go with it". Always happy with the results

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmacc502
    For weeks I have watched videos, read articles, searched forums, and I am more discouraged than ever. All you quilters make everything sound so easy. I can't find just a simple patch pattern. I don't want stars, diamonds, triangles, just squares. I am getting burned out on all the info and still not knowing anymore than I did when I started. I think I'll just buy a quilt.
    I made this quilt with just squares.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't get discouraged! I bought my first quilt all cut out and with directions on eBay. It was a simple block baby quilt with a border, binding , & backing all included. All I needed to supply was the batting. If you know the basics of sewing from your mother, Home Ec. class, etc. it will be quite easy. Good luck!

One of the prettiest quilts I ever saw was a simple 9-patch using white muslin as the light squares and the plain squares separating the 9-patch blocks. Every block seemed to be different because the maker was determined to blast through her stash the fastest way possible - the 9-patch blocks were assembly line fast and what could be simpler (or cheaper) than white muslin to offset the colors?

My husband's most favorite quilt that I've made for him is a simple 16-patch of medium & dark Civil War reproduction fabrics paired with cream or light beige Civil War repro fabrics. All the blocks go together beautifully. After seeing that first quilt and making this second one, I've never underestimates simple squares and simple 9- and 16-patch quilts ever again!

THAT SAID, if you want to try your hand at rectangles, my favorite pattern is Yellow Brick Road - it can be done with any color palette, the layout is very forgiving, and the size of the units is very comfortable to work with for beginners. I've made every size offered in the pattern at least four times.

Good luck and stay encouraged!

I haven't read all ten pages so maybe somebody already said this --- the main things to know are (1) just make sure your seam allowances are 1/4" and (2) ENJOY!!!! Once you've done one quilt (do a small one, lap size or baby size) you'll be enthusiastic about going forward.

I understand how you feel, like I could never make a quilt as good as some of the ones I see here. So I decided to just make what made me happy and some day when I feel up to it I will try something harded. Quilt for yourself not to compete with others. Quilting is a journey not a race enjoy the trip, it's your trip don't miss the fun on the way. (HUGS)

go to Utube and check out Missouri Star Quilt tutorials. They have some simple ones. The baby quilt one is simple squares. So is the dissappearing 9 patch.

Cheer up - the more you read the more confused you can get. Don't be intimidated by the experts. If you can cut in a straight line and sew in a straight line, well-begun is half done!

Grab an easy pattern - here's the one I chose for my first and it is very forgiving - http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=13453 -

and start cutting stuff up and sewing it back together! Before you know it you will be having great fun sewing and ripping out and cutting and pressing and quilting that you will get confidence. Take chances, make mistakes! It's how to learn :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandybuttons
    I understand how you feel, like I could never make a quilt as good as some of the ones I see here. So I decided to just make what made me happy and some day when I feel up to it I will try something harded. Quilt for yourself not to compete with others. Quilting is a journey not a race enjoy the trip, it's your trip don't miss the fun on the way. (HUGS)
    I like that - a journey not a race - describes it perfectly!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scowlkat
    Just saw this quilt on here and it is a simple pattern:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-104337-1.htm
    Hey scowlkat! I love that quilt. Thanks!

Dear Discouraged. I think you could master this pattern very well. You can make your squares any size you want! Don't give up before you've even started.

just do a 9 patch quilt it is very easy that was my first one get a chart so you can find out how maney squares you have to make. then cut them out the size you want then sew them together put a boarded on it the filling and the backing
    have fun
    Diztoy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RhondaKay
    Oh and too ... just to let you know, I have not tried the simple pattern I sent to you because after I started making the star patterns with the short cuts I found to make them, then it was so simple for me, and, so I have just stuck with that so far. It makes so many different looks to a quilt.

I can share all the short cuts I have found if you want. Like sewing long strips together and then cutting them to get a half triangle square. Or, the one where you sew three pieces of fabric together and then use a square ruler to lay on it and cut out a great block piece... I am still getting use to terms too so please forgive me all you professional quilters :-)...

I would adopt you if I were a quilter with years of experience... I know how you feel but don't give up after you make a few little blocks you will feel comfrotable enough to make a whole quilt. And, I found that I got discouraged along the way because it just wasn't looking right but after I layed it out all the with the blocks together Wow it looked good....
    I would love some shortcuts, too, Rhonda, if you are willing to share. I get bits and pieces of shortcuts from reading this board, but never start to finish instructions. I shy away from triangles because to cut them separately I end up with a miss measure or something! You can PM me or e-mail. Thank you!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast