Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Discouraged

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Have you gone to

http://www.quilterscache.com/

This site ranks blocks on difficulty. I made my first quilt with blocks from this site and lots of help from the board.
    Yes! Highly recommend this site!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmacc502
    For weeks I have watched videos, read articles, searched forums, and I am more discouraged than ever. All you quilters make everything sound so easy. I can't find just a simple patch pattern. I don't want stars, diamonds, triangles, just squares. I am getting burned out on all the info and still not knowing anymore than I did when I started. I think I'll just buy a quilt.
    Here is a very simple and basic block to make.
    Beginner friendly and easy to make.
    Pick your own colors and background fabric and you're good to go.
    Here goes the link:

http://www.quilterscache.com/N/NinePatchBlock.html

Click on the above link and read the whole page and go on to the second page. Click on the links off the second page and it has step by step photos on how to make the block.

I hope this helps!

The problem is, some of the most talented quilters in the world are members of this forum and it's very easy to be intimidated by that. I also sometimes feel like the bar has been raised so high I can never achieve it!

But out there in the "real world" most people don't know a nine patch from an art quilt. They don't dwell on perfect seams and points. All they know about is the love and time you took to think of them and make their quilts.

Don't let the "honors class" scare you. I'm in the beginner/intermediate stage myself, so I ooh and aah at the pretty pretty, and then sit down and sew my squares together. My squares are better for my having been here and yours will be, too. :)

Go to allpeoplequilt.com and click on simple patterns. Lots of color choice ideas and all simple one patch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieR
    The problem is, some of the most talented quilters in the world are members of this forum and it's very easy to be intimidated by that. I also sometimes feel like the bar has been raised so high I can never achieve it!

But out there in the "real world" most people don't know a nine patch from an art quilt. They don't dwell on perfect seams and points. All they know about is the love and time you took to think of them and make their quilts.

Don't let the "honors class" scare you. I'm in the beginner/intermediate stage myself, so I ooh and aah at the pretty pretty, and then sit down and sew my squares together. My squares are better for my having been here and yours will be, too. :)
    With practice (lots of practice too) and determination, the fear will dissolve.
    I was intimidated in the beginning.....the horrors of not getting the perfect 1/4' seam, but with practice and repetition, seams will improve.
    You need to practice and experiment until you are satisfied with YOUR own work.

I sometimes make my seams a little larger than 1/4" for my purposes and if it's something that I am keeping or making for someone in the family.
    If the blocks are for a swap, then meticulously the process is engaged with the cutting, pressing and sewing.

Blog Entries
    Don't give up! There r easy patterns. Try paper
    Piecing.

Blog Entries
    There are quilters of ALL levels on this board and I can tell you that in the beginning, I was angsting over every step in my process. Easy? NOT! There are tons of patterns you can start with. Basic squares and snowballs, 4-patch, 9-patch, triple rail fence, roman stripe, log cabin. Trust me, take it one block and strip at a time, and before long you will chuckle when you re-read this post.

Don't be discouraged. I suggest the Warm Wishes (free) pattern .... it always turns out perfect. Yes I'm serious

http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/d...html?idx=5185_

For weeks I have watched videos, read articles, searched forums, and I am more discouraged than ever. All you quilters make everything sound so easy. I can't find just a simple patch pattern.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For weeks I have watched videos, read articles, searched forums, and I am more discouraged than ever. All you quilters make everything sound so easy. I can't find just a simple patch pattern. I don't want stars, diamonds, triangles, just squares. I am getting burned out on all the info and still not knowing anymore than I did when I started. I think I'll just buy a quilt.
    I felt the same way when I first started, actually I still do. Anyway, I would use the pattern scowlkat suggested. It's pretty simple but looks great.

Start cutting, YOU CAN DO IT!

Squares work for me. Don't over-think it. Just grab your fabric and start putting it together. Keep in mind the end goal. To have something warm to snuggle with. You don't need any other agenda.

Below is a picture of my first quilt. Just simple squares, laid out in a pattern. I didn't use any guides or patterns and totally just learned as I went. Don't get discouraged and give up...find some pretty fabric, cut it in squares and sew it together, DONE! You could even go the route of charm packs with a whole bunch of different fabrics, gives a "controlled scrappy" look -- many fabrics, different prints and looks, but all matching one another. If you make a simple one patch quilt and don't find yourself addicted...well, that's JUST FINE! Not every hobby/craft is for everyone and you will find your thing. But don't give up before you start!

Blog Entries

May I recommend BUY A BEGINNER'S BOOK?
    Pam Bono's "Your First Quilt Book (or it should be)" is a good one.

Blog Entries
    oK, Take a deep breath, pic three simple patterns. Close your eyes and pic one and don't look back. That first cut is scary, but just think of the end result. Ignore all of those question in your head,like what if I mess up? What if I don't have enough fabric?, what if I cut it wrong?etc. EVERBODY thinks that & makes those mistakes. Thats part of the learning curve. We will be here every step of the way for you , just ask , and someone will have an answer. Then sandwich that baby and quilt it. If your seams didn't match, ah well, turned a block wrong, been there done that , oh well. You will have made your first and you know what ? You will do the same thing that all of us did. You'll say "next time I will ..........." and then post a picture where we can oooh & aaahhh over it. See, thats easy. :thumbup:

kso

Kas
    I am going to suggest you take a class either at your local quilt shop, Joann or similar store. There really is no substitute for someone giving you hands on instruction. You won't be sorry.

http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...s/index.01.htm

I have used one pattern from this site. There are tons of every level in their gallery.
    What I liked about this site was it told me how much fabric to purchase of each color. I don't have a stash yet, so am purchasing new for each quilt.

I made the Bonnie Scotsman quilt twice now - it goes together well.

The secret to learning the process is overcoming your fear of starting. Quit taking in the information for right now. Grab your fabric, ruler and rotary cutter, and make strips or squares. Sew them together in a way that appeals to you. You will be working from a pattern later. Why push it?

The main idea is to start. Don't give in to the frustration of too much information. A purchased quilt may be as warm as one you make, but you will never have the feeling of accomplishment that making a quilt will give.

Ask lots of questions. There is ALWAYS someone here to answer your questions.

We are cheering for you!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes it's just intimidating to think about taking that first step, especially by yourself. Is there a quilt shop nearby? Maybe they offer beginner classes. If there's not a quilt shop, is there another fabric shop like a Hancock's or JoAnn's? Often they offer classes for quilters. If they don't, they might have names of people in the area who teach quilting.

I found this on You tube...it looked really easy, great fun and the end result looked beautiful...would also have everyone thinking you were an amazing quilter...really suggest you have a look.
    its called 10 minute blocks 3 seam blocks for quicker quilts...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbTHl...eature=related

hope this sends you to the right place...thought I'd definatly give this a try for a present for a friend...Good luck

My very favorite quilt is a simple 9 patch. Can't get a whole lot simpler then that. Please just keep moving on. You will be very surprised at how quickly you progress. Many many times a quilter will start a quilt and by time she finishes the blocks she will go back and remake the first block(s) because the last ones are so much better. Hang in there baby!!!

Here is an easy one to try, just a block, but you put multiple blocks together to make a quilt top. Surf this site, it has so much to offer a beginning quilter.

http://quilting.about.com/od/blockof...lt-pattern.htm

Don't get discouraged..and don't get too caught up in the rules either. Sounds like something FreeForm may be just what you need. Grab your rotary cutter and trust yourself to cut. Then take a picture..I wanna see what you come up with. =) Have fun and no sweating of the small stuff allowed!

I'm working my way through Quilter's Academy Volume 1: Freshman year by Harriet Hargrave & Carrie Hargrave and there are some wonderful patterns using squares/rectangles. No funny angles/triangles until you get to the Sophomore and Junior years.

Quilter's Cache is a great site too for blocks if you want to build a sampler.

Cheers, K

Oh please do not give up. I did three just plain blocks for my grandchildren for Christmas, then a tulip for my daughter-in-law.. my last one was a log cabin finished yesterday and that was so easy..and fun..and you can make several different designs out of making one block.

Here is the link to mine..or search log cabin and see all the other beautiful ways it can be done.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-104211-1.htm

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast