Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disposing old quilting magazines >

Disposing old quilting magazines

Disposing old quilting magazines

Old 09-05-2014, 03:26 AM

Give them away. Lots of eye candy to enjoy, not all readers need patterns.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:53 AM

I was completely taken by surprise by some of the reactions to taking patterns out of magazines that you purchased. New magazines are pricey, and I'm thrilled to pay a minimal amount at a flea market for used magazines.....with or without patterns. They are an invaluable source of information: tips & tricks & ideas in each of them. I then share the magazines with my quilting friends. We all enjoy looking through them. Please donate and share them.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:44 AM

I work at the book sale at the library in our town. We get donations of magazines, I especially love the quilting ones. Truthfully if pages are removed from any of the magazines, they go right into trash or recycle. If you remove patterns, you should just recycle!! Although quiltstringz has a good idea about donating to a senior center.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
If I tore pages out I'd just put them in my recycle bin.
I agree.....I bought a stack of gardening magazines the other day and someone had gone crazy with the scissors.....most were rendered useless. Silly me for not checking, but I have never had this problem before.

It's like clothing, if it is damaged or unwearable/worn....I wouldn't donate...just cut it for quilts or rags/recycle.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
I have piles of quilting magazines from years of subscribing to them. My question is....is it okay to donate the magazines if I have taken pages out of them for quilts I want to make someday? Only one or two from each magazine. It seems criminal to me to just throw them away even though I don't know who would want them. Before moving to our new house I had them all in cabinets in the sewing/laundry room but in my new sewing room there is no space for them.
Nothing is more irritating than to pay even a dime, now a quarter in most of the consignment shops I frequent, and find patterns, recipes torn out. Donate them to a school. They use them for pictures and colors in art classes. Otherwise, recycle them.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:51 AM

I donate used quilting magazines to members of my quilt guild. We nave a free table at each meeting and someone always takes them.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:48 AM

If I buy anything in the form of a magazine, even if it's from Goodwill or other thrift stores I expect it to be intact. If it's a gift or free in a store, maybe not. But if money is exchanged the buyer has a right to expect it will be complete.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I like your idea of adding a note to the front. Certainly good info left inside even with some pages missing.
I like this idea as well....it's easy to print labels up on the computer and stick one on the outside of each magazine.
I bought some at a Goodwill and was disappointed it had a missing a pattern I wanted. But as others have said there is so much still intact, I would still donate...and I would prefer to look at a quilting book at the hair-dressers or doctors office even with patterns gone.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Why not donate them to the thrift shop? After removing the pattern you want, just highlight the index with a yellow marker and write pattern removed. Then they know it is gone when they buy it. There are often really nice ones left in the magazine, so why waste those? Especially when individual patterns are so expensive.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:19 AM

I don't mind if someone gave the magazine to me. I wouldn't buy one with patterns missing unless it was for .75 -.50 cents.