Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do any of you buy clothes or sheets at the thrift store to use in quilts? >

Do any of you buy clothes or sheets at the thrift store to use in quilts?

Do any of you buy clothes or sheets at the thrift store to use in quilts?

Old 03-27-2015, 05:34 AM

I just thought to add one of the best things about using sheets in quilts. When I want sashings or borders, I can simply rip a sheet the long way and I get long long pieces of fabric without any piecing. I love when I run into black sheets too, they are so versatile. I try to get 100% cotton, but I'll use blends too if the color is right.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:48 AM

Occasionally, I'll buy other items, s/a shirts and skirts at the GW, but they're way too expensive these days to make it worth while.

~ Cindy[/QUOTE]

Yes GW is too expensive! But...I did find two beautiful 100% cotton flat sheets fro them that were worth the price. They were from India and soft and look very nice in my latest quilt.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:15 AM

I bought a couple of sheets from the thrift store intending to use them for backings, but I made pillowcases and a elastic waist skirt instead. I think it's a good idea to use sheets as backings or buying shirts to cut up for tops.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:27 AM

I just watched a show that talked about using odd fabrics for quilts. So I headed off to the thrift store and looked in the tablecloth section and bought some not usually quilt fabrics. I also looked on the remnant table and bought some brocade and suede. We ll see how it sews up. Can you machine quilt with a sheet as the backing?
Old 03-27-2015, 06:40 AM

Don't forget that there are shirts that are made by fabric designers....Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren etc....I love buying these at thrift store knowing that I am getting designer fabric
Old 03-27-2015, 07:02 AM

I have mentioned this before, but I thought I would remind all of you to check out the curtain section of the thrift store. I have found some brand new cotton toile curtains there, along with many other cotton fabrics. Of course some are obviously faded, but others were lined and very useable, others new. Some people like to change their décor often. )
Old 03-27-2015, 07:15 AM

Here is a quilt I recently finished. The blocks were made using mens' shirts that I bought at the SA.
Attached Thumbnails rays-81st-2015.jpg  
Old 03-27-2015, 07:17 AM

I use sheets all the time for backings and sometimes even for blocks.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:04 AM

"Use the best quality quilting fabric that you can afford" By who's definition? I'm sure that the quilt I saw on The Antique Road show that was made out of cigar wrappers was the best quality quilt fabric she could find. It was appraised higher than any other quilt I've seen on the show. The antiques quilts we see today that hang in museums weren't washed as much as we wash and they aren't made with good quality quilting fabric. Again don't get me wrong I love designer fabric but to say only designer fabric quilts be the ones that last is simply Hogwash. I guess those Gee's Bend ladies worked with the top of the line fabrics also...HUH?
Old 03-27-2015, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
what makes some think that items purchased at a store are cleaner or more sanitary than items purchased at a yard sale or thrift store?

Especially items located at young children level?

( I do look around and consider the general condition of everything)

My point - if one is a germaphobe - perhaps EVERYTHING brought home should be sanitized -regardless of where it comes from?!
I wash everything I bring home that is washable, new or used (this includes cloth). All new items have sizing and who knows what else in it. Other countries do not have the laws against chemicals we do here. I wash everything used, not for dirt, but for bugs. Bed bugs cannot tolerate really hot or really cold. So somethings I put in the deep freeze for a few days. I only buy used furniture when the weather will be below freezing or really hot and clear, because nothing comes in before a sauna treatment, the longer the better.