Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do any of you buy clothes or sheets at the thrift store to use in quilts? >

Do any of you buy clothes or sheets at the thrift store to use in quilts?

Do any of you buy clothes or sheets at the thrift store to use in quilts?

Old 03-27-2015, 10:07 PM

Sorry, no. I understand there a people who cannot afford LQS fabrics. But don't complain if you are making 5 quilts a week and can't afford good fabric. Don't complain if you have three rooms of stash. Slow down. It's an art form. I use fabrics I found in LQS all over the country. I don't buy a lot of fabric anymore, I don't like the selections that are available. I have enough to outlive me. I suspect you do too. Buy what you need to complete a quilt, use good quality fabric because your time is much more valuable than your fabric costs. Of course, if your goal is to produce as many quilts as possible, no matter what, use whatever you think will work. tim in san jose

And just_the_scraps_m'am... please refrain from the use of the word "Ladies". I am not, I never will be. This is a pan sexual forum..

Last edited by k_jupiter; 03-27-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:21 AM

Just a reminder that our grandmothers used whatever they had to make quilts. That included good parts of worn out clothing, flour and feed sacks, and sewing scraps of all kinds. Those quilts actually lasted for a very long time if decently cared for. I am 81 years old and I can tell you my mom used the best she had but didn't buy much and those quilts were all we had and they got USED. Don't be afraid to use whatever comes your way, just check to make sure there are no thin or worn spots and you will be fine. I make quilts for family and friends and they don't go to shows, nor do they have to last forever. I want them to be used and enjoyed now.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

I see your point k_jupiter. However, sometimes it's not about money, but about creativity, thinking outside the square, recycling, the joy in 'rummaging' for items that can be created into something different, or even an element of 'quilt/er anarchy'. It is also a respectful nod to those who quilted before us.....people who quilted beautiful quilts out of what essentially were offcuts/scraps.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:03 AM

Another use: I buy sheets & tear them into 2" strips fold in half stitch then crochet them in to hot mats, rectangle or round. I crochet for casserole baskets etc. I took 2 to a church dinner about 12X20 to use for pans out of the oven. Guess what! Now I'm teaching several gals basic crochet! They work great. Holes in fabric no problem.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:20 AM

If you go to Etsy or Ebay you will find people selling fat quarters of old sheets for quilting. Where do you think they get them from. I have purchased some old sheets and things from the SA and have had no problems with them. The older designs are usually nicer than the new stuff and the fabrics are better.
There are so many "designer" fabrics out there today that are just not as good a quality as they were 10+ years ago.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:30 AM

I agree with earthwalker. It's more about creativity than about what you can afford. For me it's an adventure to repurpose, recycle and create something new and useful from something no longer used, not to mention good stewardship.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:15 AM

I too purchase used shirts at thrift stores. I like some stores more than others because of pricing. I have two bins plus full of cut up shirts awaiting being made into a quilt. Sometimes I feel bad about buying such good quality shirts knowing that someone else could be buying them and have a nice shirt to wear when all i am doing is cutting it up. LOL I appreciate a bargain when I see one.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:19 AM

Just a FYI, if you use a longarmer to quilt for you, check with her before you buy sheets for backing. Many longarmers refuse to do them as the higher count fabrics are hard on their machines.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:30 AM

I have been collecting men's Hawaiian shirts for my next quilt. My local thrift store, Savers, sells them for only $1-2 each. I buy XXL and get lots of fabric for very little cash.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:34 AM

Only when I'm at Goodwill.