Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do any of you....

double sew your seams when making your blocks? I know it would be alot of extra work but was wondering if any of you do it to reinforce seams. Would they really stay together longer by doing this?

I don't, and have never had any problems.

Blog Entries
    Yes I do sometimes. I don't do every one but I do straighten seams by going over them again when I think the seam is crooked or I have dipped in a place or two.
    It is stronger and can be worth doing but I don't generally do it for that reason. I do on somethings that will get a lot of wear and tear tho.
    I think it is a good prevention technique if you know the item will get dragged around alot. I don't do big quits tho

I don't do this, as the machine quilting is close enough together to prevent them from separating. If I were to tie a quilt, I might consider doble sewing.

I don't , I think once is enough.

Banned
    when i work with non-traditional quilt fabric i will use the triple stitch on my sewing machine.

i prefer to use the triple stitch program because i just have to make one pass with the fabric instead of doing a single stitch and then having to run the fabric piece thru again.

i find that it is a much stronger stitch that prevents distortion and stretch

klue, what machine do you have? I never thought of doing seams twice.

Banned
    i have a singer ce200

Blog Entries
    I might back stitch at the beginning and end of the seams in quilts that I know will get very rough use, but not the whole seam.

If I sew a 'scant' then, yes! I sometimes do for that extra hold:)So far, no threads have snapped over that:)Yet...:)Skeat

I have never done that. Interesting topic though. I wonder if it would make the seams stronger.

I have run myself out of bobbins from time to time and the pieces I was doing, I redid, but as a rule I do not worry about it.

I don't double my seams, but I will re-enforce the ends of the seams piecing blocks.
    Just because with all the handling, setting, making rows, sometimes the seam start to unravel a bit.
    I have quilts that have been lovingly used daily for several years and the seams are holding, the cheap flannel is getting thin though, and the dog is chewing on it... :( but it has been loved...
    Kirsten

I've never double sewn my seams,,,,even on ones I have tied.

I've never double sewn seams in quilts before either. However, it might be a good idea to use the triple stitch when doing bias (like making HSTs) to keep the seams from distorting. I'll have to try it out...

Blog Entries
    I use a short stitch length. I would never be able to sew a second seam straight as the first. I can see a lot of problems with distorted seams if I had to double sew them. My machine, a Singer Quantum has the triple stitch. I used it once for decorative sewing. I love my Singer!

Blog Entries
    I have never double-sewn a block and most of mine are stitch-in-the-ditch quilted. None of my quilts have ever come apart. Some of them have been washed to oblivion and they are still together.

Since proper pressing is such an important part of quilt construction, double-sewn seams can interfere with the pressing.