Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I stand for cutting on my cutting table, but cutting anything or way hurts my back. So it is such a labor of love to do any quilting for the pain is great. but I love it and will continue doing it as long as supplies are donated to me. God bless.

I can stand only so long and then I sit

I have an adjustable TV table (they call them a "personal table" in Walmart), so I put it on it's lowest height and sit when I want to do short cuts: Cut apart HST, trim off corners, most anything that is not across the WOF. I love my counter height cutting table for the big stuff. Tired back? I sit and sew a while.

I always stand to cut and dicovered a couple of days ago if I stand and cut on the dining table I have more control over the ruler and cutter and is easier on my left hand. My back hurt a little after 5-6 hours, stopped hurting when I quit cutting. This is what I'm doing from now on. Do what is easier for you and what works for you.

Blog Entries
    I sit on a tall stool so I can get my pieces right. I cant stand longer than 15 minutes. I have a time pinning my quilts and batting and backing. Have to do a little and sit for a while.
    Its h... to get old.

I also have back and neck problems and have often wished I could cut sitting down but I can not get the right pressure to do it. So I cut until I can't anymore then lay down until the pain eases. I still quilt though.

Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    Do any of you sit while cutting blocks? I have problems with my back from time to time, and was wondering if anyone cuts blocks, etc while sitting.
    Curious.
    I personally HAVE to stand to cut or my cuts are inaccurate but I've noticed that most of the ladies in my quilt chapter tend to sit while cutting with the rotary cutter and it amazes me so if you can do it, by all means do so. It is hard on the back to stand and cut for very long so I have to do it in short sessions but I'm not fond of rotary cutting and try to only do it for sashng or perhaps borders unless they are pieced borders and I normally do pieced borders by preference.

If I had a chair high enough (bar level) I would love to sit to cut. Otherwise I am on the floor.

I stand as well. My cutting table is fairly high, used to be a sorting table in a sock mill where they paired socks. Love the height.

Yes I sit, My back bothers me and since I am a tall person, sitting is the way to go for me. I have a stool by my table
    with my Ott light over it. Works perfect.

I have sat and cut but your have to make sure that your blade is sharp. Less pressure needed..

If rotary cutting, I stand. Much more safe that way. Better grip, cut, control.

If I hand cut (scissors) I sit. I am scissor cutting all my Farmers Wife blocks. I am enjoying the journey.

I have a bad back and an bad leg and I sit on a stool that I keep near my cutting table. The stool is just the right height for me and the table and I am in a perfect position for my cutting.

My cutting table is high, so I found a "high chair" so I can sit and cut. (Look at the furniture stores for chairs that are made high for bars.)

I put 4 big tins under the tables legs and cut away. It brings the table up to the right height for me to not hurt my back.

Blog Entries
    I sit and cut.

Quote Originally Posted by mlaceruby
    never been able to cut when sitting
    believe me I have tried!
    Nope, me either. And yes, I've had such bad back spasms I was in severe pain & could hardly stand straight again for awhile.
    You'd think I'd learn but nooooot.

I too have a bad back and find standing can be difficult, but I can't reach the table to cut if I sit. I have found a high stool that lets me just sit on the front edge and that is enough to take the pressure off the back, and still sits me high enough that cutting is comfortable.

I do sit most of the time when I am cutting, however I find I have much more leverage when I am standing. I guess I get my whole weight behind the cutter and that is a lot LOL. I do find it hurts my hand more (riddled with old Arthur) when I am sitting down.

Nope, not me. If I want it anywhere near to a straight cut I'd better stand.

I should, but I don't.

I sit too when I cut some things out

I cut on my kitchen island. We eat there so we have stools with backs around it so it's ideal for sitting and cutting.
    If only I'd spend more time cutting than eating there. lol

Blog Entries
    so long as you are sitting taller than a regualr chair and table, it should work. it just doesn't work for me at the kitchen table, the ruler tends to slip and the rotary cutter has been known to have a mind of its own..so i stand.
    i kitchen counter and a bar stool seems like it would be the perfect height..

I have unable to stand alone without support for thirteen years so I have to sit. It was hard at first but the secret is to have the table lower. Two years ago I fell and broke my right wrist. Now that has interfered more than anything, My wrist is not very strong. Have read about the Martinelli cutter on this site and ordered one recently. Hasn't arrived yet. Hope that helps.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast