Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do I have to iron before I sew together?

Do I have to iron before I sew together?

I am making a quilt for DGD for Christmas. I have each of the horizontal rows sewn together.
    Do you think it would be ok to join the rows, matching the seams, (sewing seams going in alternate directions) then iron after joining?
    It seems I could ease the seams together more easily that way.
    Does this make any sense? Hope I wasn't too confusing.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

This a personal preference thing Most will say to press as you go. Then I had one teacher say she does not press until her quilt is together. As a clothing seamstress before a quilt goddess I am in the habit of pressing as I go

I would press my rows before joining them. I think my top turns out better if I do it that way.

i also found that pressing as i go helps me to catch mistakes in time to fix them before i have to seam rip an entire quilt to get to them.......:-)

I would definitely iron as you go. It honestly makes it easier to piece together when it's all flat.

You might try joining one row the way you described and see if it works for you. You never know, it might.
    I am in the habit and was taught to iron before joining any seams. It works for me so I'll stick with it. I think it might be difficult to get the seams going in opposite directions without ironing them. Just a thought.

Blog Entries
    the only time I don't press as I go, is if there are a lot of bias seams. I really like suern3's suggestion, however. try it both ways and see what works for you!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I have found that if I wait to press the top when it's completed, it's way too hard to actually iron all, going the right way. The iron is just too big to fit in the right places, with matching seams alternating going opposite ways.

As a result, I always press each row as I go, then sew the rows together.
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

I tried that once & wouldn't recommend it. Among other things, I ended up with some seams that had to later be either un-done or else pressed with a wrinkle in them & quilted down (I tried both & they take nearly equal amounts of time & aggravation). I actually like ironing, but didn't want to disrupt my "flow" to be constantly getting up & pressing seams. I had to learn the hard way that there is a reason our sewing teachers taught us to press as we go. You might get away with it once or twice or ten times, but if you're like me, eventually, over the course of 50 or so seams you will have one or two that get away from you ... and of course those will be the ones dead center in your quilt top.

It truly is, in my humbling experience, worthwhile to press every time you've joined a seam before you add another piece of fabric (even if that piece is on the opposite side).

Try each way and then you can decide which way is best.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I press as I go. But I also iron/press after pre-laundering the fabric to eliminate any wrinkles before I even start the project.

I starch and iron the fabric to death before I cut it. Get all the distortion out of the way. LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I am a flip flopper! Sometimes I press and sometimes I dont. If you don't, be vigilant about which way your seams go. I will put a pin in the top row pointing in the direction the seams are going from the last row. I am piecing a Carpenters star and actually decided not to do rows so sewing in sections. only one long row to piece in the whole top! (not counting borders of course!)

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Try each way and then you can decide which way is best.
    i agree w your thought onebyone. my "sewing teacher" didn't teach the currently popular iron as you go technique. ironing was not even part of the course. i iron blocks when completed ..that's when i find stitching errors .. so my method for full size quilts and miniatures too, is to press blocks as completed, sew entire top together then press the top. if it's a top w small pieces i use the clover iron to get in small places. i am known for my squared quilt tops & have been asked by members of my quilt group to help them with their tops.
    basically i don't believe there's a right or wrong method, it's what works for the individual. what gives the best results.
    we're quilters ...we do it our way!
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

My preference is to press very lightly just to get those seams going in the correct direction. It does make pinning a lot easier. This does NOT include anything with lots of small pieces.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I spray and press, not iron before and after piecing. Doing it before helps the fabric cling to each other better and also helps stabilize bias edges. Doing it after makes it lay and helps it nestle into the next block better. Try it for your self and see if it makes a difference to you, its as controveral as some are to pin or not to pin or to wash or not to wash. You deside what is good for you
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
    This a personal preference thing Most will say to press as you go. Then I had one teacher say she does not press until her quilt is together. As a clothing seamstress before a quilt goddess I am in the habit of pressing as I go

Ditto here. I almost always pretty before crossing two seams. Not 100%, but almost. Some finger press.

Blog Entries
    Hide From the quilt police! I finger press seams and pin seam allowances...sew the top together..and press the thing after it's done. I press flat..whatever way it seems to lie best. I haven't found any significant difference than press as I go..except that I get no distortion. It makes no difference in my quilting,and the seam allowances don't show after sandwiching. I don't make competition quilts...I make dragger quilts...the recipients love them. It saves time,too.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Blog Entries
    When I first started quilting I didn't press. But now, I do press and it makes my life so much easier.
    TwandasMom

I've never regretted pressing, but I have regretted NOT pressing.

I do a lot of finger pressing as I go. Whether I use the iron depends on my mood and the way the quilt is behaving. Lol!

I hate pressing because it's time consuming. However, if I don't do it I usually end up spending more time fixing mistakes I didn't catch earlier in the process.

Pressing gives you an opportunity to really look at what you're doing and make sure everything looks OK before taking the next step. I also like doing it because I'm obsessed with points being perfect and everything squared. I keep a grid ruler and rotary cutter nearby so when I see pieces that look "off" I can fix them, (or rip out and redo if I have to). It's easy to get caught up in the anticipation of seeing what your final quilt will look like, but I find taking it slower ends up saving me time in the long run.
    Happy Stitching!
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by zozee View Post
    I've never regretted pressing, but I have regretted NOT pressing.
    Same here!

RST
    Blog Entries
    Decide for yourself. Make two small quilts, one which you press, one which you don't. Time yourself, and also evaluate the end product. Then decide for yourself.

I personally do press, because I find that my finished blocks always look much better and I experience less frustration in piecing. If that's not the case for you, then don't.

I press as I go. It is much easier that way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast