Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I HAVE TO...? >

Do I HAVE TO...?

Do I HAVE TO...?

Old 03-03-2015, 10:06 AM

Thanks, Ladies. The denim quilt pattern is "Brick Work or Windows Denim Quilt." You can find it on Craftsy or Etsy. It's a quilt as you go thing, and works up pretty fast. I've made them with flannel instead of denim, and put minky in the center squares, and they make a soft, snuggly baby quilt.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

I have a friend who makes T-shirt quilts, using interesting designs from the front or back of T-shirts, and this is the tip she gave me - fuse lightweight fusible interfacing onto the back of the T-shirt fabric to stabilize it, otherwise it will give you all kinds of hissy fits.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:15 AM

For sure the stabilizing would be most helpful, but.... the t shirts were made without it... Having made a LOT of t shirts in my time, just knowing you have to be very gentle when you sew them, it is very doable to just sew the blocks. Put the t short on the down side of the seam with the cotton and you will have good luck.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:47 AM

I also like the jeans idea. Makes a nice looking backing too
Old 03-03-2015, 12:58 PM

I know what you mean! These directions for making a t-shirt quilt are very very different than any others. This was the second only quilt I ever made, and it was so easy even for a novice as me. There is no batting at all, it isn't needed. You use fleece for the back, but you have to read this pattern carefully to see how it is done one square at a time. It is so fast and easy, and looks great. Needs no starch, no foundation piece, just read it over and see what you think.

I say all of this because I posted it once before and I got flamed somewhat when someone said, "t-shirt quilts have been around for a long time, and everyone already knows this!"

Well, I knew that too, but honestly, I don't think you have seen one as easy as this.

http://tinyurl.com/lm6nhxt

Originally Posted by dsch View Post
I have made 5 memory quilts of shirts that belonged to my deceased cousin. There were so many t-shirts that I refused to throw away and lots of scraps, so I made LOTS of string blocks. I STILL had lots of t-shirt parts left over so I cut them into 6 1/2" squares. I appliqued hearts on some of the squares, but I have over 100 squares to deal with. Do I HAVE to put some kind of backing on the squares before sewing them together? Since they will be interspersed with the string blocks, won't that provide enough stability to make a lap quilt? I don't know if I can afford the backing for all the squares!

Thanks for any and all advice.

Last edited by RosaSharon; 03-03-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:51 PM

I have found that when I don't put something behind the knit fabric, it is very helpful to pin a little more to help keep the stretch to a minimum. I also find adjusting the presser foot to a lighter pressure works great as it puts less drag on the fabric, thus causing less stretch.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:09 PM

Thin fusible interfacing doesn't cost much, and makes a huge difference when you are sewing the squares together.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
What about freezer paper, at least until they are sewn together????? Just a thought?
Yes, that will work. I made a t-shirt quilt for my granddaughter and didn't have any fusible interfacing. I just ironed freezer paper to the back of my shirts before I cut them out and left it on until I sewed borders of regular cotton all around. After that I removed the paper and had no problems with the t-shirt material stretching.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Off the top of my head, I would say you need stabilizer. You might be able to get away without if you use regular cotton quilting fabric as sashing to control the edges of the blocks. However, since it sounds like you have extra, why not piece a small sample without it & quilt it and see how it goes.
Before I learned the 'proper way" to stabilize tee shirts for quilts, I cut tee shirt logos and used cotton for sashing. In sewing the sashing to the tee shirt block, I placed the sashing on top and the tee shirt on the bottom close to the feed dogs. This was a good way of keeping the stretching down to a minimum. The first quilt, I hand quilted around the sashing (SITD) and did some tying within the blocks. That quilt is still going strong after 17 years. This last quilt I did (a UFO from about that same time) was done all tied. It's the softest most comfy quilt around! One tee shirt quilt that I stabilized had to be quilted by a LAer because of the size and weight.