Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I need a Featherweight? >

Do I need a Featherweight?

Do I need a Featherweight?

Old 09-11-2012, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
Agreed. I don't think need has as much to do with it as want. That said, I really like my FW. (I wanted it so I got it.)
Same here. I have my Singer Golden Touch and Sew that I purchased in 1968. My Bernina 930. My mother's old Singer, that is a converted tredle, no idea what model it is for sure, but she bought it used in 1941, just know it uses the bullet type bobbin and I learned to sew on it in the 50's. Does that tell my age or what lol. I also have 2 FW's needed yes why, because I wanted both of them. Love my FW's and usually take them to quilting group once a month. Take my Bernina when I need to work on something very large. Haven't used my Golden Touch in years, guess I should sell it. I have made three fairly large quilts on it and do the largest part of piecing my tops on my FW.
The decision has to be yours, whatever you think is best for you. I love mine and they sew beautifully.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by vmhlake View Post
I own 4 sewing machines, a model 66 Singer treadle machine, an Elna Quilter's Dream, a 301A Singer and a Singer Touch n Sew.

I need to know what benefit it would be to purchase a FW? As you can probably tell I am trying to convince myself that I need to have one.

I have been sewing quilts for 12 years now, don't do my own quilting on larger pieces, don't have room for a long arm quilting machine, I use all my machines.

Any suggestions?
Just to add to the vote, I really like mine too![ATTACH=CONFIG]362195[/ATTACH]
Not the best photo, but I was practicing posting a photo!
Good luck in whatever you decide!
Attached Thumbnails 100-0030_imgcrop.jpg  
Old 09-11-2012, 09:58 PM

No you don't need one. If you want one, that's different....but don't confuse needs and wants. Someone who has 4 working machines probably doesn't actually need the other 3. Many women the world over only have one.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:59 PM

I love my featherweights, all three of them. I wouldn't trade them for anything. They are just so cute, and I hope to pass them on to my grand daughters in the future. I've got a little time to wait, as the girls are just 5 and three.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:00 PM

I have an FW but when I sew, I'd rather have my little BROTHER by my side.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:43 PM
QM
Power Poster

I sold my featherweight and got a light Janome for taking to class. I am happier now. At one point everyone in my guild seemed to have FWs for group projects. Almost all of them are now replaced with Janomes and one full sized multiple function Viking. What is best for you, you must decide. I only know one person who still has her FW. with a roll around case and buddies who will heft it for me, I take my Janome 1600P QC for retreats
Old 09-12-2012, 12:39 AM

LOL! This is a case of need vs. want. I think the one you have only weighs about 6 or 7 lbs. more than the featherweight, so if the only reason you need it is the weight factor--no. If you just want another machine, then go for it. You can't have too much money, too much fabric, or too many sewing machines!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:14 AM

Of course, you need one!! To fill your desire. I have one just because they are antique and just plain cute to look at.
Want one? Have the funds? Found an acceptable one with a price you would pay? Then what's to stop you?

I have 2 singer Red eye treadles, 1 featherweight from 1939, a Janome Jem, MemoryCraft 10001 & a Janome serger. Do I "need"
all of these? Well, no. But I just enjoy having them.

The only sewing machine police that I know of is MY Husband!!

Chris
Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 AM

I missed out on getting one today. I had found one on craigslist yesterday and had arranged to meet her today to look at it and buy it, and then she e-mailed me last night that someone else had offered her $25.00 more than she was asking for it and she had sold it to them. I wish she'd have called me so I could respond to the offer. I'd have paid the $25.00 extra if she had told me of the offer. Oh well, I guess it wasn't to be mine anyway.