Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I need to pull up my bobbin thread? >

Do I need to pull up my bobbin thread?

Do I need to pull up my bobbin thread?

Old 03-09-2017, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by PatPitter View Post
I would suggest you practice on some muslin and scrap batting first. Then you can get a feel of feeding a quilt sandwich through the machine and check your stitch length and tension.
Agree. If you have already practiced I suggest piecing a small wall quilt and go for it. I recall how nervous I got when I FMQ on a nice quilt top
It got real and it took me out of my comfort zone

Result was not perfect but it got me to the next step of FMQ confidence.

Happy Quilting
Old 03-09-2017, 08:26 AM

I also am an advocate of practicing first! Use a muslin sandwich or sew some scrap blocks together to practice with. I am starting to learn to long arm (rent time) and find the learning curve steep. So, I will go next week with a couple of sandwiches to practice on first because I don't want to mess up the quilt I made for a wedding. First step is to define your concept of 'quilting' your quilt. Free motion quilting means many different things to different people. Is the use of stencils free motion quilting? What if you do feathers? You can draw them; use stencils; or just use the machine needle and your imagination. This is purely personal, but, I do not like overall quilting that looks like a mattress pad and don't want to use that technique. So, as others have said, practice, practice and decide what your definition of quilted is. Then, with each project, grow your skills from that point. But, most of all, enjoy the process.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:40 AM

I like OnebyOne's idea and will use it myself on an upcoming quilt.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:20 PM

Thank you for all of your helpful advice. I have practiced on a small sample quilt sandwich and feel that that I can jump in and do the straight line quilting with my walking foot. I watched a couple of good video tutorials by Leah Day that were very helpful in pulling up my bobbin thread. I know I need to remember it's my first one and I'm sure that I will have mistakes. Hopefully, I'll have time this weekend to start quilting it. Wish my luck Thanks again!
Old 03-10-2017, 05:35 PM

Confidence will come with practice, and just keeping telling yourself "the next one will be better, but I'm doing my best on this one."

A few other things to remember:

1. As was mentioned above, make sure your sandwich has no puckers , regardless your basting method. You can't fake that. Iron it all super flat and smooth from the middle outward.

2. You might "hit a wall" or get frustrated when you're quilting. Stop. Take a break. It doesn't have to be finished all in one sitting.

3. Use gloves. If you don't, you won't get a good grip on the fabric. I use cheapie garden gloves from Lowe's. Rubber palms provide some "grip" to the fabric.

4. You might have your doubts about how your quilt looks before it's done. Even those of us who've been doing this a have a moment in the quilting process when we say to ourselves, "What was I thinking?" Or "this doesn't look good" or "I hate this thing!" But after you've quilted it, something magical happens--you fall in love with it again. Sometimes you love it so much that, if you are making it for someone else, you might really be tempted to keep it for yourself. That's a great feeling!

And then, after your binding is on and you have finished your first quilt ever? That's a proud moment, mistakes and all! And you will be so eager to start your next one!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:19 AM

Thank you zozee for your comments. Yes, I've already thought to myself, what did I get myself into? I began quilting it yesterday with my walking foot and had to rip out a few times. I can't believe how heavy the quilt is and how hard it is to maneuver on my sewing machine. I had no idea! I have a Singer Confidence Quilter and there isn't much room even with it rolled up on the sides. But, I am committed to doing the entire quilt by myself including the quilting. For me personally, I wouldn't be able to say that I made it myself if I had someone else quilt it. I already know that some of my lines are not the same distance apart, but I know the next one will be better