Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I Need to Snip the Corners on Fabric Before Washing?  Never Washed Fabric Before--Don't Want a Big Tangle Ball >

Do I Need to Snip the Corners on Fabric Before Washing? Never Washed Fabric Before--Don't Want a Big Tangle Ball

Do I Need to Snip the Corners on Fabric Before Washing? Never Washed Fabric Before--Don't Want a Big Tangle Ball

Old 09-28-2011, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

i wash my fabrics the same way i wash anything else- a normal cycle- with detergent- i want to remove any chemicals/oils, soil from the fabric before i use it. i do not add fabric softener-
then i take it out of the hot dryer before it is completely dry and iron it- comes out great. if i have smaller pieces/stips or scraps i am worried about tangling/fraying i put them into a mesh laundry bag- but still wash/dry them the same way-
been doing it this way for 45 years...very seldom do i get anything tangled---when i take the fabric out of the washer i do give it a good shake before putting it into the dryer.
once in a while i will have some stringy/tangled edges come out- i just snip them off before putting into the dryer.
it's worked for me all these years of sewing.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:21 AM

I wash on a slow, gentle cycle and don't have much trouble. I do not clip the corners.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:24 AM

I clip the corners when I wash fabric because then I know for sure that I have washed it.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by spartan quilter
I don't actually wash the material. I fill the machine with the temp of water that I would use normally to wash the finished quilt. I put the fabric into the water, and let it sit for an hour or so. Then I spin the water out. I decided that I only need to go for shrinkage, and not remove soil that isn't there. By removing the agitation process, the material doesn't get so tangled. I just hang the material on a clothes horse to dry. That works for me.
remember it is not just "soil", which is there in the form of dirty hands, dirty floors, germy hands..you know..BUT there are chemicals sprayed on that fabric as well! at least put some lysol concentrate if you don't want to use soap!
I agree with you, "stuff" we can 't see, one reason I sneeze around new fabric.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

I have a front loader and I get a lot less fraying with it. My old top loader did allow more control, but was much rougher on everything. Lots of strings. I don't clip the corners any more.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:12 AM

I don't clip and sometimes just use the rinse cycle to get the fabric 'washed'.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i wash my fabrics the same way i wash anything else- a normal cycle- with detergent- i want to remove any chemicals/oils, soil from the fabric before i use it. i do not add fabric softener-
then i take it out of the hot dryer before it is completely dry and iron it- comes out great. if i have smaller pieces/stips or scraps i am worried about tangling/fraying i put them into a mesh laundry bag- but still wash/dry them the same way-
been doing it this way for 45 years...very seldom do i get anything tangled---when i take the fabric out of the washer i do give it a good shake before putting it into the dryer.
once in a while i will have some stringy/tangled edges come out- i just snip them off before putting into the dryer.
it's worked for me all these years of sewing.
this is the way i've always done it as well.