Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do I Need It? - Yep!

Blog Entries

Do I Need It? - Yep!

Two weeks ago I purchased an HQ Sweet Sixteen machine and table. The table arrived today (minus the hardware for attaching the extra leaf I purchased -grrrr!) I am going next week for a training class and then I will bring that baby home. I beginning to get excited. It will make my life so much easier - no more trying to maneuver those lap and twin quilts through the harp of my domestic machine. Like so many of us - I have problems with my neck and shoulders and quilting on my domestic just kills me. Woo-Hoo!!!

Blog Entries
    You are so lucky! I wish I had the room. We are hoping to add a three car garage with a room above for a sewing retreat and large enough for a Long arm.

Congratulations! Let us all know how much you like it when you get it home and ready to sew....I will still be using my 301's and Featherweight....I can do it but I create the big quilts in 3 sections so I can comfortably work them around those great old machines.
    Busy in Ohio

congrats, sounds like you will have some fun
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
    Congratulations! Let us all know how much you like it when you get it home and ready to sew....I will still be using my 301's and Featherweight....I can do it but I create the big quilts in 3 sections so I can comfortably work them around those great old machines.
    I don't have beautiful old machines; just a newer model and I still can't fit large quilts under my harp. So I quilt in sections, or do the "Quilt as you go" method. Or if it's a really big quilt, I send it out to be quilted. We do what we have to, and honestly, it just makes quilting more fun! IMHO.
    MacThayer

You will love your Sweet 16. I got mine about 6 months ago. I still suck at FMQ but at least I'm improving with practice and most importantly, I'm getting some projects finished. I like the fact that even with one extension it doesn't take up a lot of space and I feel more in control of my quilting when I'm sitting down at the machine.
    Have fun and enjoy it--we're worth it!!
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Enjoy your new machine. I can appreciate how much work and what a struggle it is to do a very large quilt on a regular machine. It is not impossible, just a ton of work and lots of swearing.

Hi. I just bought one this spring too, but with holidays have only been home long enough to do a little bit with it. I am soooo looking forward to getting back at it and do some more. I suck at FMQ too, but it is getting better, so perseverance does pay off! I bought a couple of 2 ft x 4 ft folding tables from Costco and found I like the ability to move them where I need them to support the quilt and they were only $16.98 each. Have fun, I know I will...if I don't ley it frustrate me first :-| ��

Enjoy your new toy!!!

Congrats, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started looking at the HQ S16, and was ready to buy. Then, at the Houston Quilt Festival last November, I found a booth selling what was essentially the same machine for almost half the $$$. The company is in Tennessee, and the husband and wife manufacture the machine in TN. Even better, the machine comes with a clear table (kind of like the sew steady table for sewing machines), so can be put on any table. Also, it weighs only 35 lbs., so can be stored under the table until you need it.

I will take delivery of a Tiara when I get home from vacation. I'm a little intimidated because I'm new to quilting but an old timer to my sewing machines. I am a gadget person and stayed away from this machine for almost a year. Quilting has captured my heart and I am putting out quilt tops big time. Guess its time for the next step, quilting my own. Hope I'm up to it! Oh, and I'd like to thank you quilters on the Board for all of the awesome information and tips I receive every day that have helped me on this new journey,

Quote Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post
    I don't have beautiful old machines; just a newer model and I still can't fit large quilts under my harp. So I quilt in sections, or do the "Quilt as you go" method. Or if it's a really big quilt, I send it out to be quilted. We do what we have to, and honestly, it just makes quilting more fun! IMHO.
    I have just quilted my second quilt ever-FMQing with a high loft batting...it's queen size and although my shoulders did get tired, I manages to get it between the harp. (I have 10")
    I would just LOVE to have a mid or long arm, but for now....Congrats to you!!!

This table mounted machine will fit in the space of a card table so is really not a big space hog. I have mine set up with space for card tables to be open on either side of it when I am quilting so I have lots of space for the quilt. I have even done king size on it. I'm still learning but have gotten several tops quilted that would otherwise had to be sent out to be done. There is great joy in knowing you did it all by yourself!
    Maggie

Power Poster
    Good for you...Enjoy your new machine..

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post

Would you be interested in starting a new thread and telling us all how you do this? I would be interested. Thanks,Gina

I am so jealous!! I want one too one day. I got to play with one at a quilt show and I really liked it.

Blog Entries
    congrats, enjoy!
    dare to dream

mckwilter, could you please give me more info on the machine that is made in Tennessee.Thanks in advance!

Power Poster
    Congratulations, you are indeed very lucky. Even if I had the money for a long arm quilting machine, I would not have the space for it, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by msrosecooks View Post
    mckwilter, could you please give me more info on the machine that is made in Tennessee.Thanks in advance!
    Yes, more info. please!

Blog Entries
    I have had my Sweet Sixteen for a little over a year now and I love it. I don't get to use it as much as I wish but I have never regretted the purchase. I also have problems with my neck and shoulders and this is so much easier than the domestic machine. Have fun!

I tried out a Handi Quilting machine last Saturday and really liked it. I want one of the stand up versions. It was fun to use.

I have had my Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen for a few months now and am getting pretty good with it! Oh my, what a difference from trying to shove a quilt through on my DSM.

I bought the left hand extension table and think I am getting the right hand also. There is a lot of space beneath them for a pile of of junk (er, nice organized things, that is!). And the right hand will extend over the kitty litter box nicely!

The machine cost me about $5000 including tax and freight. When I read on here that high end sewing machines are going for way higher than that, it looks like a good bargain all the way around.

Oh and the Tennesse people make the Sunshine 16

http://www.sunshine16.com/Home_Page.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast