Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I really need a "Scrap Therapy" Class??? >

Do I really need a "Scrap Therapy" Class???

Do I really need a "Scrap Therapy" Class???

Old 09-01-2009, 03:30 PM

LOL I don't know about you ladies but I don't need a therapy class I just simply need a scraps anonymous meeting! Along with an ironers anonymous, fabric buyers anonymous....oh this list could get big fast!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

I agree, Bonnie's site is great!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:07 PM

I thought Scrap Therepy was a way to organize your scraps to make them user friendly...
Like putting them in bins for strips, small squares, and larger patches...
Maybe I am mixed up...
But I have my scrap bin almost full.
Kirsten
Old 09-01-2009, 07:21 PM

I have been checking into Scrap Therapy. From my understanding, you will cut your scraps into 3 or 4 different sizes. They tell you what sizes. Then you organize them in this bin (it looks like a clear, plastic shoe box). Most of the quilt shops include one free bin with the Scrap Therapy cutting class. (I am sure we would all need several) You have to take the cutting class before you are allowed to take any of the project classes. One of the quilt shops that I spoke with would allow you to purchase the patterns without taking the project class, but you were required to take the Cutting Class before you could purchase any of the patterns.

Angie
Old 09-01-2009, 07:56 PM

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North

I actually took the Scrap Therapy class a few months ago with a friend who wanted company. We paid $20 for two plastic shoeboxes (with Scrap Therapy labels to attach, ohhhhh....) and instructions to cut all scraps into 2 inch, 3-1/2 inch or 5 inch squares. Anything that didn't fit into these three sizes we were told "it's o.k. to throw away". Personally, I don't throw anything away so I let that slide and played along. The whole jist of it is that once you take the initial "cutting" class then you're "eligible" to pay for additional classes to buy their patterns to make the quilts that use the sizes you've already cut and amassed in you darling little plastic bins. I would need a few gross of them for my scraps.
The patterns appear to be nice but very basic quiliting patterns. The classes would probably be good for a beginner quilter or someone who likes working with instruction and/or company.
Sorry to be so long winded but I hoped this answers your questions.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:02 PM

so if you were a beginner then you wouldn't really have that many scraps right?? I guess I just don't get it.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:10 PM

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North

I'd say you just got it!
Old 09-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Power Poster

baskets, Thanks for all the info ! I was wondering what it was about, but heck I don't need to spend 20.00 on a clear shoebox :? I can better spend it on fabric :lol:
Sharon
Old 09-02-2009, 08:34 AM

I just took the Scrap Therapy class a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it. But right off the bat, I did not adhere to their three sizes of scraps. I ended up cutting my scraps into the largest workable size because I hate to throw anything away! I also ended up with a lot of strips.

What the class did, however, was to get me to take care of the scraps right away rather than throw them in a box to do something with later. I found myself cutting blocks in sizes of patterns of quilts I enjoy doing, such as the Yellow Brick Road, etc. Then the scraps are sorted, not so much according to size, but rather according to type of project, if that makes any sense.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:50 AM

I took this class a few months ago. The nice thing is that it forces you to iron, cut and organize your scraps. I went with a couple of friends and it was nice because we all started sharing our scraps and pretty soon the rest of the class was into it too. We got a very nice box to store our scraps in and a pattern to start sewing. It was fun. . . AND amazing how many quilts we can probably make just using our scraps. These are going to be charity quilts for sure.