Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do machine needles get too old to use? >

Do machine needles get too old to use?

Do machine needles get too old to use?

Old 09-05-2013, 05:46 PM

I actually keep my organ needles in my old Schmetz plastic cases as soon as I open a new paper envelope !
Old 09-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

Sounds to me like you just happened on a package of bad needles.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 PM

I wish we were allowed to alert each other, of companies to avoid!
Old 09-06-2013, 11:53 PM

There was a store that gave me a lot of frustration. Other people were bashing that store. I wanted to join them, but believed that wouldn't help the situation. Eventually it went out of business and no one has any word of where the owners are. Even though I disagreed with their policies, they are still valuable people with feelings.

We can be very quick to criticize and the word spreds fast. And there's always 2 sides to every story. On the other hand, praise is seldom given and rarely spreds. We only have our own experience and it's filtered through our own set of values. So I'm glad this site doesn't allow negativity. It doesn't cheer anyone up. I've gotten caught when having a bad day, had threads deleted and been the better for the accountability.

Instead, I like when people are specific why they like a product or don't like a product. Then I can check it out and choose for myself.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 PM

On the needle issue: I've used older needles many times and had no problems. I can't imagine a metal needle growing old in the package. I don't automatically change the needle every _____ (fill in the blank with whatever criteria you want). I change it when it breaks. I check it for snags if there is any unusual sound when stitching. And when it goes "tap tap" I think about how long it's been in the machine and check for sharpness.

It's kind of like the "use by" "sell by" dates. It's not good one day and then bad the next. It's a gradual process.

But I do probably need to change the rotary cutter blades.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I ask this because I was sewing last night, and broke a needle. It was a needle that had been in the machine and used for quite a long time. I went back to the same package , and two needles broke within 20 stitches of use and on test fabrics of only two layers. I know they were placed properly . I then went to a package that was newer and no issues.
So... is it possible that machine needles get fragile with age? I have never had this happen till now .
Strange.
When your machine sewed properly with the needles from a second package, that seems to eliminate a problem with the machine.
It does seem to be "a bad batch"
Old 09-07-2013, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post

My local Bernina dealer.......................... is trying to get Organ needles to package their needles more like Schmetz does for customer convenience rather than in the little paper envelopes. Organ needles are English.
Organ needles are actually Japanese - you can see the company history here.

As far as I'm aware, they're still manufactured there and they're imported to the UK and elsewhere for distribution.

Interestingly, most Organ needles here are packed in plastic boxes, same as Schmetz or Klasse, although I have seen paper packets for bulk buying on eBay.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:19 AM

I use Organ needles all the time and they come in a paper pkge. However saying that, I also buy Janome needles #14 to do my emb. and they are wonderful
Old 09-07-2013, 02:23 AM

it's possible that if you write a letter (not a complaint) to the company they may send you a free pack with their apologies, a LOT of companies do or sometimes they send several good coupons.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:54 AM

Hi,Nope rarely have that problem,my needles don't get the chance to ' age', I usually break them long before that !!! So often I forget that I have a 1/4 inch foot on when I want to do a fancy stitch-- then my poor machine beeps and shudders as the needle breaks---so do I.The old grey cell are sometimes a little slow when I'm on a roll with a new idea. Oh well It means my needles are always sharp,even if I'm not ! Letty.