Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do men design sewing machines?lol

Quote Originally Posted by scowlkat
    I suggested to a manufacturer rep about a year ago that they should just make a different path to run thread from a full spool through to the bobbin area and not even have bobbins. Yes two separate spools of thread. So far, no one has taken me up on my ingenious idea and I see I am not the only one who has thought of it. After all, a serger's lower loopers work that way!

As to a pink machine-YUCK! Pink is my least favorite color. But would love it if they could make "skins" like they do for laptops! How about a batik machine? Or my preference would be red, maybe turquoise, oh well, how about rainbow! Sorry for the rambling, had to take a pain pill and it makes me somewhat verbose!
    Bernina does make skins. Just not for my model. Maybe in the future though. But, I've got a sneaky suspicion the skins aren't cheap

:wink:

Candace...I LOVE that pink machine, it's like a piece of art

Quote Originally Posted by judylg
    Quote Originally Posted by Threadedneedle
    My Babylock has that!
    It does? Which BabyLock do you have? I like that idea.
    It is an Ellageo 2,about 10 years old.

Blog Entries
    Glad to know I'm not the only woman who does not like the cotton candy pink color that is used for breast cancer awareness. I won't buy anything with that color pink all over it. I like pink but not that shade of pink at all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    Quote Originally Posted by karen65ae
    So many having tension issues (including me) and I thought if more men used these machines I am sure the machines would be designed differently so you just flicked a switch to change the tension needs for the weight of the cotton or have 2 different tension disks on the machine... In an ideal world lol
    And the bobbin would hold an entire spool not just a small disk. They wouldn't be stopping and changing these things so often.
    AMEN SISTER !

Quote Originally Posted by lab fairy
    I can't wind a bobbin and sew at the same time on my Pfaff 7570 but I do like not having to rethread my machine every time I need a new bobbin (I wind 4 or 5 at a time to make sure I have a back up). I can wind my bobbin from the machine with the needle threaded and use the pressure foot, etc. but I prefer using the second spool holder over that.
    I just bought a new Viking Sapphire and you do not have to unthread the needle to wind a bobbin. Now if it would just learn to talk and tell me I have sewn an entire seam without any bobbin thread!

Quote Originally Posted by donnalynett
    I can't wind a bobbin and sew at the same time on my Pfaff 7570 but I do like not having to rethread my machine every time I need a new bobbin (I wind 4 or 5 at a time to make sure I have a back up). I can wind my bobbin from the machine with the needle threaded and use the pressure foot, etc. but I prefer using the second spool holder over that.
    I just bought a new Viking Sapphire and you do not have to unthread the needle to wind a bobbin. Now if it would just learn to talk and tell me I have sewn an entire seam without any bobbin thread!
    give it time.

Heck we may end up with sewing machines with no feet pedal in the future(and as I type this I bet someone will tell me they exist).

Or we can just set the material in, and say sew seam and it'll do that work. That though may take the fun out of it though

I just had a thought....

The sewing machine was designed by a MAN and he was RIGHT HANDED. All sewing machines are righthanded.

Quote Originally Posted by tweetee
    I just had a thought....

The sewing machine was designed by a MAN and he was RIGHT HANDED. All sewing machines are righthanded.
    I've never thought of this before. Whoa.

Hmnnnn....I have a very old Elna that I now use as a backup machine and it seems it was designed for a left hander and I had quite a time when I first started using it as everything seems to be opposite of every other machine I have used. I actually think it is about the best machine I have used but I may change my opinion after I get used to my new Viking.

Yes, go pink and please no tension issues. also a bobbin area that could just handle a spool. Oh and an arm area enough for a king size quilt to fit under for free motion quilting. LOL

this one is slanted to go to my soon to be daughter in law
    Name:  Attachment-100132.jpe
Views: 49
Size:  34.2 KB

That is so cute! There was a pink Brother here on CL, but he wanted $80-so I passed. What kind of machine is this!

So many having tension issues (including me) and I thought if more men used these machines I am sure the machines would be designed differently so you just flicked a switch to change the tension needs for the weight of the cotton or have 2 different tension disks on the machine... In an ideal world lol
    I would like to be able to pick the bits that I want, to make a customised machine. For example, the lights and buttonhole maker from Husqvarna, IDT from Pfaff, stitch regulator and large bobbin from Bernina, the photographic positioning/embroidery placement device from Brother, automatic tension from Babylock and the ability to sew through any weight of fabric without groaning...

Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    Quote Originally Posted by donnalynett

give it time.

Heck we may end up with sewing machines with no feet pedal in the future(and as I type this I bet someone will tell me they exist).

Or we can just set the material in, and say sew seam and it'll do that work. That though may take the fun out of it though
    Yes, as you type, I will tell you that one of my machines used to work with the pressure of my knee against a handle that was attached to the front of the machine...

Quote Originally Posted by msariano
    I'd like a machine that would fill a bobbin while you were sewing. Why can't they put an extra path way for the thread to be wound up on another bobbin while sewing?
    The 440 and 830 Bernina can do this , I dont stop embroidering to fill bobbins .

They do, sort of. My Janome has a seperate spindle so that I can wind the bobbin without removing the thread. Cool!

Blog Entries
    That is what is nice about Husqvarna Viking. Every once in a while they poll their users to see what they want in a sewing machine. When I got my Diamond a few months ago I was thrilled to see something on it that had been on my list of needed improvements. I said to my Dealer friend,"Hey, they listened to me!!" The higher end machines have auto sensors to detect thread size etc. You set what kind of fabric you are sewing with and it does the rest. It even adjusts when you go over a thick seam without bogging down. And I understand that they are starting to do these things on the lower end machines as well.

I have always wished I could use a spool of thread instead of a bobbin, should be some way of installing a spool and the thread that used to come from the bobbin would last longer and one would not have to stop and wind another bobbin.
    Perhaps one ofyour women could invent this and save us all the time we use up winding bobbins.
    Carol J.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    yes men design machines and I don't believe they listen to those who use the machines.
    Don't you find that in lots of things, though? If the people who design things had to use them for 6 months, they would be designed to work well with no messing, changing, tinkering! Hate the tension thing and oh, the little bobbins is so irritating!! When I'm doing a big quilt, I wind 2 or 3 bobbins to just pop in when one runs out! Usually happens an inch or two from the finish line!!

Quote Originally Posted by msariano
    I'd like a machine that would fill a bobbin while you were sewing. Why can't they put an extra path way for the thread to be wound up on another bobbin while sewing?
    my janome 6600 has that

I'm sure a man developed the mammography machine. I've always said that if a man had to put his testicles in that machine, they'd find a different way to do it.

Would love a wider and deeper gap so a whole quilt could fit in more easily,the bigger bobbin or whole whole spool, and a sensor who speaks to me in an understanding tone to let me know my triangles just wont fit so adjust them before I sew...no ripping out !!!

Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    I'm sure a man developed the mammography machine. I've always said that if a man had to put his testicles in that machine, they'd find a different way to do it.
    Still laughing here..although John has a quite different expression on his face ........

I don't think you should have to put thread in any more holes than the needle! I have a Tin Lizzie (long arm machine)and have to thread about 9 places that could be little hooks or not at all! I won't tell you what my MOM said when I was cussing the man that made all those little holes!!! I am 60+ and my eyes aren't as good and my hands shake and I am always in a hurry! I don't like pink either but my Liz winds bobbins while I am sewing! LOVE that!

Quote Originally Posted by Mar_ie
    Would love a wider and deeper gap so a whole quilt could fit in more easily,the bigger bobbin or whole whole spool, and a sensor who speaks to me in an understanding tone to let me know my triangles just wont fit so adjust them before I sew...no ripping out !!!
    Yup

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast