Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Do men design sewing machines?lol

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    Quote Originally Posted by donnalynett
    Quote Originally Posted by lab fairy
    I can't wind a bobbin and sew at the same time on my Pfaff 7570 but I do like not having to rethread my machine every time I need a new bobbin (I wind 4 or 5 at a time to make sure I have a back up). I can wind my bobbin from the machine with the needle threaded and use the pressure foot, etc. but I prefer using the second spool holder over that.
    I just bought a new Viking Sapphire and you do not have to unthread the needle to wind a bobbin. Now if it would just learn to talk and tell me I have sewn an entire seam without any bobbin thread!
    give it time.

Heck we may end up with sewing machines with no feet pedal in the future(and as I type this I bet someone will tell me they exist).

Or we can just set the material in, and say sew seam and it'll do that work. That though may take the fun out of it though
    Ha ha, my babylock has a push button sew feature.. Don't have to use the foot pedal.. lol

Personally I want a purple machine. :o)

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I would definitely make pink machines. I think the market place is missing a new, pink machine.

whant a pink featherweight [email protected] suzie Q

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    I'm sure a man developed the mammography machine. I've always said that if a man had to put his testicles in that machine, they'd find a different way to do it.
    Absolutely!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by msariano
    I'd like a machine that would fill a bobbin while you were sewing. Why can't they put an extra path way for the thread to be wound up on another bobbin while sewing?
    My White had that. I really miss it. Wish my Viking did,.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-6
    The Brother that's like one I have, now comes with a choice of decals to put across the top front in pink and two other choices.
    No, no pink decals. A NICE PINK MACHINE!! For breast cancer or something...Like my old Morse but new:>
    wow, looks like the controls of an aircraft...shes a beauty

I've been thinking, and this at times leads to trouble, you are all right. Men design, men repair and men sell sewing machines, BUT not enough men quilt, which is why the research and development of more effective machines is so slow.

Now I wonder, if so many designers are men, who is doing all that sewing and what kinds of machines are they using?

My old Singer machine also had a means to latch my foot pedal up under the cabinet so that I could use my knee instead of a foot. Now how hard is that to design?? :hunf:

It is my understanding that at one time in the beginning of electric sewing machines there was a machine that worked with 2 spools of thread and no bobbin. So "who" got rid of that and replaced it with a bobbin? Probably some design engineer who wanted the machine to look more streamlined.

END OF RANT :-)

Quote Originally Posted by donnalynett
    Quote Originally Posted by lab fairy
    I can't wind a bobbin and sew at the same time on my Pfaff 7570 but I do like not having to rethread my machine every time I need a new bobbin (I wind 4 or 5 at a time to make sure I have a back up). I can wind my bobbin from the machine with the needle threaded and use the pressure foot, etc. but I prefer using the second spool holder over that.
    I just bought a new Viking Sapphire and you do not have to unthread the needle to wind a bobbin. Now if it would just learn to talk and tell me I have sewn an entire seam without any bobbin thread!
    My Sapphire 870 stops when the bobbin is empty and refuses to go until I tend to "it's" problem.

I have no idea what a " Tin Lizzie " machine is. I would love to see a pic. I also get so frustrated trying to thread sometimes. Somedays my fingers do just not work.

Quote Originally Posted by karen65ae
    So many having tension issues (including me) and I thought if more men used these machines I am sure the machines would be designed differently so you just flicked a switch to change the tension needs for the weight of the cotton or have 2 different tension disks on the machine... In an ideal world lol
    Think how much differently a mammogram machine would be if a man had to be subjected to it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    So many having tension issues (including me) and I thought if more men used these machines I am sure the machines would be designed differently so you just flicked a switch to change the tension needs for the weight of the cotton or have 2 different tension disks on the machine... In an ideal world lol
    And the bobbin would hold an entire spool not just a small disk. They wouldn't be stopping and changing these things so often.
    And it would have a clock - and it would have a button called 'unsew!'

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boscobd
    Hmm - I have a Babylock and can wind a bobbin without unthreading the machine as it has an extra spool holder. I suppose that means I could wind a bobbin while sewing as well. Just never thought of it! But, on the other hand, it might freak me out while trying to sew!
    I can wind a bobbin with unthreading the needle, but I have to push the holder over and puts it in a different mode and I can't sew while it's spinning. But at least I don't have to stop and unthread and yadda, yadda, yadda.

Blog Entries
    i've only seen men working on them. my dad was a sewing machine mechanic

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyredhawk
    i've only seen men working on them. my dad was a sewing machine mechanic
    When I take my machines to be serviced I take them to my Husqvarna Viking dealer located in "my" Joann store. And the "lady" who repairs them comes to pick them up, repair them, and delivers them back to the store. I have talked to her and she REALLY knows her stuff.

I've often wondered why that isn't the case. It would be so much easier

And the bobbin would hold an entire spool not just a small disk. They wouldn't be stopping and changing these things so often.
    Often wondered why that isn't the case, bobbins are way too small. Sorry doubled up here

I don't know about a pink machine but I fell in love with the purple long arm that gammel made. Just wish I could afford one. kjym Kathy

Dee
    I love my bobbin side winder. That is a great invention.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS
    And it would have a clock - and it would have a button called 'unsew!'
    Nooooooooo, no clock, even my coffeemaker has one. I don't want to keep an eye on the time when I'm having fun sewing :thumbdown: Unsew button would be cool though :thumbup:

My Janome does that, too!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset Val
    My Janome does that, too!
    Mine, too! And it's okay....I don't mind taking a little break from sewing while I rewind the bobbin!! I'd really love to learn the trade of machine repair! As much as I like making quilts, I think I'd like that better!!! Billy...you taking any students??? LOL!!

I think that the reasoning behind the small bobbin is so that when we run out of thread late at night that means that we need to go to bed. hehe or at least that is what my hubby has told me. he doesn't sew or quilt or get anywhere near fabric or needles.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3