Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do posts get deleted on this forum? >

Do posts get deleted on this forum?

Do posts get deleted on this forum?

Old 01-29-2011, 10:09 AM

I agree--taking my hand slap with dignity. I apologize if I offended. Promise to stay on the topic--I'll just rant to DH. He's used to it.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:09 AM

Then maybe we need to have a ranting section? I guess I didn't see the harm in the post.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:16 AM

At the risk of getting myself into trouble...

From Merriam-Webster:

Rant - To talk in a noisy, excited, or declamatory manner

Complain - To express grief, pain or DISCONTENT

I see many complaints daily regarding LQS, big box stores, etc. This, to me, is a complaint, not a rant:

I made a special order for some drapery fabric from Joann's and today I got a phone call from them telling me that it was in and that there was an extra 5 inches and would I like to purchase it--no offer of a discount, nothing. After I picked my chin up I politely told her "No". Geez they can't throw in an 1/8 of a yard of fabric.
I guess I just don't understand why, in the midst of daily complaints which people are free to read or not read, this particular one was censored.

lhayes1976, trust me, I did not get a bad impression of you. Everyone has good and bad experiences, and I appreciate being able to read everything and make my own decision on whether or not I will patronize a store.

My response to your original thread was to say that I love my three local Jo-Ann's, and that they always offer 50% discount on anything less than one yard that's left on the bolt.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RitaVil
At the risk of getting myself into trouble...

From Merriam-Webster:

Rant - To talk in a noisy, excited, or declamatory manner

Complain - To express grief, pain or DISCONTENT

I see many complaints daily regarding LQS, big box stores, etc. This, to me, is a complaint, not a rant:

I made a special order for some drapery fabric from Joann's and today I got a phone call from them telling me that it was in and that there was an extra 5 inches and would I like to purchase it--no offer of a discount, nothing. After I picked my chin up I politely told her "No". Geez they can't throw in an 1/8 of a yard of fabric.
I guess I just don't understand why, in the midst of daily complaints which people are free to read or not read, this particular one was censored.

lhayes1976, trust me, I did not get a bad impression of you. Everyone has good and bad experiences, and I appreciate being able to read everything and make my own decision on whether or not I will patronize a store.

My response to your original thread was to say that I love my three local Jo-Ann's, and that they always offer 50% discount on anything less than one yard that's left on the bolt.
The JoAnn's in my area does this also.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:31 AM

I actually love Joann's and have never had a bad experience. What happened today would not keep me from shopping there--it was just for lack of another word -- weird -- that they would call me and ask me.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Administrator

1. most important point first: moderators know that people make mistakes. 99% of the time they don't realize it's a mistake until it's already made. we don't jump to conclusions about the sort of person you are just because you make a mistake now and then. ;-)

2. some errant posts get moved; some get surgically edited; some get locked; and some get deleted. it's all done for the good of the board as a whole.

3. we can bandy semantics all day long. the fact remains that too much negativity poisons the board - particularly if it's the product of anger. we know that 99.999% of our members are sweetie-pies. we hang around here and get to know each other. but we are on display to thousands of others surfing the net. ranting, venting, letting off steam, getting it off our chests, and all other excuses for, and forms of, throwing hissy fits do not reflect well upon us as a community.

if you wouldn't say it through a bullhorn, standing nekkid in the mall, on a saturday afternoon during the christmas shopping season, then you probably shouldn't share it here, either.

but ... if you goof, we'll just fix it and love you still. ;-)
Old 01-29-2011, 11:50 AM

Moderators of any board are always needed!!
Old 01-29-2011, 12:01 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Well put Patrice. :-D
Old 01-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Very cute Patrice. I don't think I will be standing anywhere nekkid except in the shower. We don't want people to get sick and throw up...
Old 01-29-2011, 12:19 PM

Yes, the board is over-policed but it is their right to do so. There is no freedom of speech on the net. It's a series of private properties owned by people who make their own TOS.

No harm is ever intended (although I do wonder if more feelings are hurt by the policing than by the so-called ranting). In any case, mature folks shouldn't get hurt feelings online. We are quite capable of controlling our reactions to the spieling of strangers and the hypervigilance of moderators.

Que sera, sera.