Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you always know who your project is for, or where it will go, before you start? >

Do you always know who your project is for, or where it will go, before you start?

Do you always know who your project is for, or where it will go, before you start?

Old 05-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes yes ... sometimes no ... LOL But, that is fine with me.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by CindyBee
So far, yes. I'm still rather new to quilting and that probably explains it. I want to make all my family members a quilt. In the meantime, people keep getting married and having babies and of course they have to have a quilt. Then, there is the quilt guild I just joined and the charity quilts. How about the special friend you just have to honor? Can you believe I have never made a quilt yet for me???? I think I need a time-out for me, LOL.
AH YES, the curse of life. lol

I had an accident with one of my quilts (used MIL hand-me-down fabric and the indigo bled and bled and bled.....) It was no longer the pristine gift I had intended. Only DH got a BIG smile on his face because FINALLY he got a quilt. (As long as it doesn't come in contact with anything white, I think we're safe - lol)
Do you prewash your fabrics now?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:47 PM

I tend to buy fabric because I like it and not because it is for someone specifically. I have 2 quilts in the making that don't have a recipient. They might just be for ME! :lol:
Old 05-26-2009, 08:00 PM

I feel so much better now! It is not just me - LOL

I buy fabric because I like it, and sometimes buy two or three that will be used together, usually do not have a pattern in mind, or who will end up with it. Of course what happens then, is that when I get ready to use it, I either did not buy enough, or don't have exactly the right colors to go with it. Which probably means I should not buy fabric unless I have a definate plan (Yeah, that is gonna happen, NOT)
Old 05-27-2009, 03:58 AM

nine times out of ten i know where mine are going - however, i do have two table runners that i made for the heck of it - i'm now using them but if someone came along and wanted one of them, they could have it! actually that has happened. a friend liked mine so i let her have it right off my table! i just made another one. i have a few quilt tops done, not quilted, because i just wanted to do it. one day someone will need it or want it and then i'll quilt them.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:18 AM

Most times I buy fabrics for a quilt for a specific person. Ex. One grand nephew born this year and 2 more grand neices or nephews arriving in a few months. Patterns are simple and I usually buy extra if the price is right so my stash keeps well supplied for scrappy quilts. Every member of my family and lots of friends already have a quilt I made for them so my Have To List is a bit shorter now.

Other times the fabric just talks to me and I buy it with some future project or person in mind, which by the way never really happens. Don't you just love it when you finally find a use for those pieces of fabrics? That's the fun of adding to your stash, May in Jersey
Old 05-27-2009, 05:40 AM
Banned

sometimes, but mostly no.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:25 AM

You are not truly a quilter if you have all the details worked out before you start a quilt--at least sometimes. Part of the fun is just going with your inner "wild thing". I say go for it.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:15 AM

I'm in major learning mode and have made about 8 quilts since starting in September 2008 along with having purchased 4 different machines. Of course that includes a boat load of fabric.

As for my projects, some of them have been stimulated by use for a person, but, most are about technique. Some have been about wanting see how an idea I have in my head will workout. it just all depends.

Diana
Old 05-27-2009, 09:38 AM

When I start a quilt, I rarely know where and with whom it will go to live when it is completed. I choose a pattern that catches my eye, make the quilt and then give it to the person who admires it the most. I've had no problems with that method so far, nor do I have any homeless quilts .... several unfinished ones though.