Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you always know who your project is for, or where it will go, before you start? >

Do you always know who your project is for, or where it will go, before you start?

Do you always know who your project is for, or where it will go, before you start?

Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 AM

This has been an interesting read.
This wasn't a quilt, but when I was 10 yrs old I bought with baysitting money (yes, at ten), white linen and cut an oval and 2 round circles.
I crocheted pretty edges around all three.
These were for my sister's vanity, the old fashioned kind that had a dropped part in the center with a big round mirror at the back.
A few days later I saw my BIL using the oval one to shine his shoes that he had just polished. I was crushed!
So now I am very particular who I make things for. My children and grand kids love my gifts and take good care of them.
You know some memories hang around forever.
Joyce in MI
Old 05-27-2009, 10:51 AM

No I don,t I just make the quilts I like and tell my children that that is their inheritance LOL I jusy enjoy the entire process from shopping for fabric to putting on the binding Happy Quilting
Old 05-27-2009, 11:05 AM

I thought about it and the only quilts I have kept are the ones I messed up on....my first I made for me because I wanted a certain color...it came out like a real beginner did it. Theres always a birthday in the family..so a lot of them go that way. Sometimes I'll take out a UFO and it turns into a lap size no rhyme or reason to it :D
Old 05-27-2009, 11:24 AM

Im guilty of buying material not knowing what I will do with it and it usually doesnt match what I already have :oops: But when I start a quilt I have a person in mind for it and I will TELL them, that way I have to finish it, otherwise I would never get it finished. I never knew I had a short attention span until I started quilting, I get all excited about starting a new quilt, get going on it, then I see something else I like and next thing you know Im working on that one. But I know Im not the only one that does that :)
Old 05-27-2009, 11:44 AM

Hi There

i am just looking at a quilt magazine you have some awesome quilt shops up there in North carolina....
Old 05-27-2009, 11:47 AM

you can get these sheets to put in your wash apparently they work great to stop the bleeding
Old 05-27-2009, 12:23 PM

I have a tradition of making memory quilts (with pictures) for my nieces and nephews as they graduate from high school. I have made a few special quilts for special birthday's of my siblings. I have made a few for my son and daughter and 3 for my grandaughter. The rest are usually because I have fabic I love or a new pattern I want to try. They stay here until someone claims them. Since we all know how important it is to try new things, I have lots and lots and LOTS of fabric that I love, magazines, patterns and books and did I mention a whole bunch of fabric. :lol:
Old 05-27-2009, 01:22 PM

I do both. Sometimes I just want to make a certain pattern and during the process someone comes to mind but most of the time I have a person I am making it for. I do like to have a couple baby quilts around and I may not have a baby in mind while I'm making them. Right now, I have four quilts going. Two I am making for a certain people, the others not.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:44 PM

I, too, am plagued with the 'waiting fabric syndrome' What I have been doing lately is making 'recliner' quilts (about 50 by 65 inches). They are great for sofa backs but my family likes them because they are just the right size to snuggle under watching TV or for a cat nap. They do not take as much time as a large quilt and give us a chance to get on with another project.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

I usually know who I am making a quilt for, but rarely know how big I want to make it.