Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you belong to a quilt guild?

Debbie1219 wrote -
    I've been hesitant to try the local guild because I tend to be shy and don't always fit in with big groups (that's why I like the anonymity here, I guess). The positive comments about guilds may make me give it a try.
    If you can find a phone number to call someone at the guild, you may be able to check and see if you already know someone who belongs. Your local quilt shop could probably give you information about local guilds, and which ones might be more welcoming to new members. We have a greeter who takes visitors under wing and makes sure they feel welcome. :-) :-)

Blog Entries
    I belong to the Guild in my city. We have about 145 people on the roster but only about 30 people come to the meetings. We have a business meeting, a short break, drawings (fat quarter, block of the month, ticket drawings (for every three tickets you get one super ticket for a drawing for a large (Ott Light, for example) prize). Then we have show and tell, then a speaker if one is arranged. During the summer we have a ice cream social because a lot of people leave here for cooler climates. We charter a bus to take us to Road 2 California each January. Every other year we have a Quilt Show in March (not this year). They have charity quilts for Wounded Warriers and Women's Shelter. Once a month we have a "quilt in" on a Saturday where you can bring whatever you want to work on or get help with.

We also have a Fall Retreat up in the mountains, but I haven't gone to it yet. I understand some women go just to get away and don't even quilt.

So we are a pretty busy group. There are those that have to RUN everything, but you can avoid them pretty well.

So, it is worth it to me

I'm like Debbie. I do better away from bigger groups. Even tho' my schedule is flexible inevitably as soon as I make plans, then "something" comes up.

There is a LQS that opens their space weekly to just come and sew with others but I talk myself out of that too, even tho' I think it would be fun. Besides, I need all the help I can get. I know where the mistake is but haven't thought it thru enough to not repeat it. I have faith, one day I will. In the meantime, I'm just having fun.

I belong to the same guild as zyxquilts, so you've already read about us. There is a board member that I learned was in our vicinity, and she may be coming as a guest tonight. Yippee.

Yes, we have around 300 members. Large enough to bring in top namess. there are lots of Small Groups that quilt together and we donate over 1200 quilts to charity each year.
    I can only attend occasionally and have never been able to take a class or workshop because of work.

My ASG neighborhood group has several members who belong to a quilting group so we benefit from their knowledge. We do a variety of sewing projects but include a lot of quilting. Most of our group quilting is for Linus, Vets and local nursing homes and hospitals. Not always full sized ones. Lots of times we do table runners, place mats, laprobes for wheelchair patients etc. Not all our members have the need to do anything larger but it keeps their hand in.

Quote Originally Posted by HIBISCUS
    Hi, Flor-heat-a, do you live close to jacksonville??? There are several guilds here, some meet daytime, one I think meets in the evening.
    I live in Orange Park and would love to join a guild but I don't know how to go about it. Which one would you recommend?

tmg
    I joined a guild in January of this year. the ladies and gentleman there don't mind you sharing there knowledge with you. We meet every Tuesday night and have an UFO the last Friday of the month. There is a day group that meets also. They even have workshops and small group sessions. It really feels like one big family. We do a service project every year. I'm still learning the working of the group. I feel good about it though.

Quote Originally Posted by cgroark
    I live in Orange Park and would love to join a guild but I don't know how to go about it. Which one would you recommend?
    Ask the people at your LQS. They would probably be able to give you contact information for the local guilds.

Every guild is different and has its own "flavour". I belong to two guilds and both are very different but unique and interesting. My larger guild of 130 is more affluent and is able to afford more speakers while my smaller guild of 65 spends more time on hands on projects and round robin evenings of sharing tips and techniques. In both guilds, I have been privileged to meet wonderful, talented, caring women who are willing to share their skills, time and wisdom. As our guilds draw members from quite a large area, these are great people whom I would not have met in other places. I respect and appreciate all of them and have made many new friends and associates while learning so much. My advice - go and try out your local guild! We welcome visitors and have members assigned to show newcomers around.

I belong to a quilt guild and have learned so much from the other members. They also have lots of Fun Days and invite teachers in to teach some project. The Show and Tell each meeting is a great inspiration to me. I am a fairly new quilter and need all the help I can get.

Blog Entries
    One thing I know for sure, keeping a guild interesting and current takes a lot of planning and highly motivated people to plan.

I still work full time and the local guild meets on Wed morning so I can't go. But if the good Lord's willing I'll join once I retire if I can still drive then.

I did belong to a guild 45 minutes away, stay with them 5 years and was vice president for 4 years, I got tired of the drive.

I still work full time and the local guild meets on Wed morning so I can't go. But if the good Lord's willing I'll join once I retire if I can still drive then.

I did belong to a guild 45 minutes away, stay with them 5 years and was vice president for 4 years, I got tired of the drive.

I belong to 3 sewing/quilting groups. Many of the same people are in all 3 groups. They are all quite small and we have become pretty good friends that like to work together and chat while quilting. Everyone is willing to share and help out as others need it. Two of the groups give lessons on what the members have discussed. We have gone to quilt shops around the state as part of our meetings. I think belonging to a group is a good learning tool.

Quote Originally Posted by zyxquilts
    Yes, I do belong to a guild ~ I joined at their first meeting (I'm member #29!). We're a bit over 100 members now, and about 15 years old.
    We meet once a month (tonight!) and have a business meeting, show & tell, door prizes & usually a speaker each time. Sometimes we'll do a 'round robin' meeting, where 5 or 6 members will each teach a technique & we move around the room to see them all. The members whose birthday month it is bring goodies that month, along with our usual roll-ups or little sandwiches that the guild provides. We also have BOM, charm squares & swap-a-block. Many months we have workshops, often given by that month's speaker, and they are lots of fun & a great bargain!
    Every other year we have a quilt show - which is the first weekend of May, this year - come on down!!!
    This sounds a lot like my guild. We have about 125 members and meet once a month, have door prizes, BOM drawings, charm square exchange, show & tell, and a yearly challenge. We have monthly speakers (some nationally known and some local), workshops some months, and have put on 3 nice quilt shows in the past few years. The guild sets up 2-3 retreats per year, sometimes we'll have an additional project like an ugly fabric contest, and we have a fun Christmas party every December. I have participated in a number of committees and am actually a past president. This meeting is one of the highlights of my month, if for no other reason than the show & tell and the speakers' programs.

I also belong to an 8-member bee which meets once a month, and we're all members of the guild, so we participate in lots of activities together.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    I belong to two guilds - one is quite large so they usually have a guest speaker and 'show & tell' at the meetings. The other is a much smaller group - they meet every other month and usually do a project or have a speaker. On the alternate months they have a social meeting at someone's home. Everyone is friendly at both groups but I prefer the smaller one - easier to meet people and get to know everyone.

I belong to two guilds. One I started with when there were only 5 or 6 members. It has become to large. There are now over 100 members and there is kind of a herd mentallity. We have a smaller Bee that consists of about 6 members of the bigger guild that meet twice a month and then go to lunch. The second guild I belong to is also more than 100 members. Their attitude is totally differnt. Everyone does their own thing and they have a wonderful retreat that I have gone to every year for the last 10 years. The second guild was started by Mimi Dietrich it is very laid back just like her. While it is almost an hour drive from my home I enjoy it and the members much more than the other guild which is 40 minutes closer. The first guild's members act like quilting is the only interest in their lives. I have been doing this to long to take it that seriously.

Blog Entries
    I just decided to join a guild here in Bar Harbor. I am going to my first meeting April 14th. I hope I won't be disappointed. They also are having a quilt show at a firehouse here on the island in May. The lady told me to bring hand work and some things for show n tell.

I'm so glad that most of the folks here have a good experience with their local quilt guilds. I haven't had a good experience here; the one I went to was for more towards the housewife/retired section with machine quilting (no working folks or okay with handsewing...)

Quote Originally Posted by zyxquilts
    Yes, I do belong to a guild ~ I joined at their first meeting (I'm member #29!). We're a bit over 100 members now, and about 15 years old.
    We meet once a month (tonight!) and have a business meeting, show & tell, door prizes & usually a speaker each time. Sometimes we'll do a 'round robin' meeting, where 5 or 6 members will each teach a technique & we move around the room to see them all. The members whose birthday month it is bring goodies that month, along with our usual roll-ups or little sandwiches that the guild provides. We also have BOM, charm squares & swap-a-block. Many months we have workshops, often given by that month's speaker, and they are lots of fun & a great bargain!
    Every other year we have a quilt show - which is the first weekend of May, this year - come on down!!!
    Hi Sue,
    I noticed that you are in SoCal - what Guild do you belong to? and where? I am interested in joining a guild and there is one right here in Upland, but I don't really know anything about it. I love the enthusiasm you have for your guild!
    Barbara

I belong to a quilt guild and absolutely love it. We're a relatively small group, but we have lots of things going on. We also have a show and tell time. We have an annual challenge quilt. We have a monthly workshop in addition to the monthly meeting. I'm getting ready to join another guild which meets on a different day of the week in the next town over.

Yes, I love my quilt guild, I have learned so much from the guild,

Why not organize a guild for other like yourself? Ibet it would be a hit. I live in a small town and belong to a guild. We have 20-25 members. We have 1 male. The size of our guild is good for working together and sharing.

I joined one about three months ago. I like the monthly speakers and the BOM, but I haven't found the people to be particularly friendly or inclusive. For example, they put together kits for a quilt to raffle at a quilt show. When we first talked about it, people were going to be invited to get involved by taking a kit for a section of the quilt. When the kits were put together, they were handed out only to a certain few, obviously pre-picked. As for the rest of us, we weren't invited.

I wondered if it was just me thinking they weren't very friendly, but at a class yesterday two women were talking about a guild they no longer went to because the people weren't very friendly. I asked them if it was the guild in "X" city. It was!! Glad to know it wasn't just me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast