Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you belong to a quilt guild? >

Do you belong to a quilt guild?

Do you belong to a quilt guild?

Old 04-09-2010, 07:36 PM

I would love to find one but I don't want a bad experience sometimes people can make you feel like an outsider thats why I like this board. I tend to be friendly enough but sometimes I think these meetings are what you make it. If you have a friend to go with it would be more fun because you wouldn't feel like an outsider.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:34 PM

I belong to one quilt guild with 500 members (and I also belong to 3 small groups). One way to meet people is to volunteer for a board position or help with a quilt show. I've done both and I've met a lot of great quilters.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:29 AM

One way have a quilt group is to start one yourself. Invite those who quilt, those who always wanted to learn how to quilt, and those who have UFO's (unfinished objects) to finish.Keep up the invites until you have 4-6 members. I started such a group and they have elected to donate quilts to local hospitals and nursing homes.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:57 AM

:-( I wish i could join some guild but there aren't any where I live...It seems like I am a lonely quilter.....Thats why I love this place so much....I met great friends in here and got plenty of help from them...........TY quilting board
Old 04-10-2010, 08:14 AM

I would love to join one but a little nervous since I know so little about quilting. I am sure most of them have been friends in the group a long time. I also do not know any groups in Chattanooga, Tn. Does anyone?
Old 04-10-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by janet bales
I would love to join one but a little nervous since I know so little about quilting. I am sure most of them have been friends in the group a long time. I also do not know any groups in Chattanooga, Tn. Does anyone?
Try this website, Janet: http://www.quiltguilds.com/tennessee.htm
Looks promising!
Old 04-10-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Zoe
Turns out the "clique" seemed to be jealous of this lady (who is in her 80's) whose applique ability and patterns were published in national quilt magazines.

She and I started our own informal group of quilters. We were given free space in our local high school, specifically to encourage older folks to quilt. We decided there would be no by-laws, no election of officers, no minutes, and no dues! If we teach and several of us do, we only charge for the materials. We offer all the new techniques because we have such wonderfully talented women--and a few men! We do have a coordinator who plans the many activities of quilt classes, demonstrations, visits to nearby quilt shops, and other field trips.

:lol: :lol:

I wanna join YOUR group, Zoe!
Old 04-10-2010, 03:39 PM

I used to belong to a guild but I got tired of the arguements about Roberts Rules of order and how to comduct the meeting. What does any of that have to do with quilting? I go to Pfaff club and I love that. It's very informal and relaxed and have any kind of sewing project and even some craft projects.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:17 AM

I'm with you, the arguing really got to me and several of us quit the guild and started our own group. Many of the members joined us and the guild dried up because the workers/teachers quit. We now have a fun group that love to work together and we argue about nothing! I also belong to a Bernina Sewing group and a Bernina Embroidery group they both accept everyone and all types of machines.

Originally Posted by maryb119
I used to belong to a guild but I got tired of the arguements about Roberts Rules of order and how to comduct the meeting. What does any of that have to do with quilting? I go to Pfaff club and I love that. It's very informal and relaxed and have any kind of sewing project and even some craft projects.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119
Roberts Rules of Order? What is that?

I think my favorite small group I belong to is called 'The Finishing School.' If anyone is having problems in any area, they simply bring the problem project and we all jump in with suggestions on ways to solve the problem or how to do a certain technique to help finish a quilt. Everyone is friendly, which is saying something since we're made up of all different religions and political beliefs. No one is ever turned away and everyone is made to feel welcome. I really feel I hit the jackpot with this group of gals!