Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you bend needles when hand quilting? >

Do you bend needles when hand quilting?

Do you bend needles when hand quilting?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:32 PM

I find that I bend needles when I am stitching curves. I must be trying to get too many stitches on the needle - usually only 3 or 4, but the needle bends. I have broken needles this same way. I use a size 9 between.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
I'd forgotten about my bending needles when hand quilting on my frame because I've been doing handquilting in a hoop lately. Do any of you have that problem. Is there something I should be doing that I'm not doing? ? Once the needle gets bent it's harder to stitch the straight lines.

I use short needles (betweens - size 8 or 9) because longer ones bend so badly. Do any of you have any suggestions?
LOL, When I hand sew I bend needles too. I bend beading needles, embrodery needles and just regular sewing needles. That's part of why I can't do much hand sewing anymore... I get that death grip going on and it turns into muscle spasms. Sheesh.... ya know? LOL
Old 01-30-2011, 06:44 AM

I use a size 10 and I still bend some and Friday one broke in half while I was quilting. :-D
Old 01-30-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by grammysharon
I use a size 10 and I still bend some and Friday one broke in half while I was quilting. :-D
Oh Wow, now that's scary. I have never had that happen to me. I hope you didn't hurt yourself!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:54 AM

I started using Richard Hemming size 10 betweens and I seem to bend far fewer needles. I like them not only because I don't bend them but they are very shiny and therefore I can easily see the needle as it comes out of the quilt. This helps me keep the size of the stitches even.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

less tension of top of quilt and try diffrent brands of needles.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:52 PM

I not only bend them I snap the eye right off! I have a huge appreciation for those who hand quilt like Born To Handquilt! I just can't seem to make needles or thimbles last! I put the back of the needle through a thick leather thimble last night! I can only put 2 or 3 stitches at a time without causing a problem.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by lberna
I started using Richard Hemming size 10 betweens and I seem to bend far fewer needles. I like them not only because I don't bend them but they are very shiny and therefore I can easily see the needle as it comes out of the quilt. This helps me keep the size of the stitches even.
Was just going to suggest this needle. This is a great needle! Glad to learn about the others that were suggested though.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:51 PM

Bend the needle and break them. I try not to put as many stitches on the needle when I am going through more than the front, batting, and backing, in other words while quilting over or through the seam areas. It only took me 30 years to figure this out. Good luck. and keep quilting.