Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Block your finished quilt? >

Do You Block your finished quilt?

Do You Block your finished quilt?

Old 02-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
What is blocking
It means to spread out a block or a top and with the help of steam or starch, tugging it gently into the size it should be. The item is then pinned to those dimensions and left to dry.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:33 PM

No, cats, I don't.
Originally Posted by toomanycats
OK so you block your quilt when you are done..then, do you have to reblock it everytime you wash it?
Old 02-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

I'm happy with squaring it up.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

professionals? hmmm. i've done it but not often. i do try to make sure my wall hangings are nice and flat and square though. not larger ones.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:50 PM

I block if entering for judging you never know. What they are looking. For..
Old 02-26-2011, 05:23 PM

Yes. I do block my quilts. By dampening them, squaring them, and pinning them into the carpet with T-pins, you eliminate the "wobblies" on the edges of the quilts. They dry quickly (0vernight) and look great when I take them up.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:16 PM

I blocked my first quilt just a few weeks ago. It is a wall hanging that I really thread painted the center on...made it kind torque weird in the middle. I laid it on the towels on the floor and squared it up with a T-square (lots of pins) then I put heavy, wet towels on top of it to press out the bubble with their weight. I left the wet towels on over night, removed them and left the quilt there to dry for a couple of days. When it was dry, I unpinned it from the floor, cut it round and put the binding on. I would block a quilt before I put the binding on, but I suppose you could do it after the binding was on.

Karen McTavish explains how she blocks her quilts in one of her books...don't remember the name of the book and it's in WA...I'm in FL now, sorry!!! The pictures she shows really helped me understand the process!
Old 02-26-2011, 08:28 PM

Oh sure, and I iron my sheets, clean all the shower grout with a tootbrush every day, wax the car every week, and...oh, who am I kidding. Never. Never ever. lol. Bet it looks great, though.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:20 PM

I learned about quilt blocking after a judge marked down my quilts (and other people's as well) for not having them blocked. It's not that hard to do. I pin mine to the carpet in my front room.. get it all straight and tight, then use a spray bottle to dampen it.. Let it lay there overnight and wa-la.. it stays when I unpin it, and it does look beautiful.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Phoppe
Originally Posted by jzaaboo
Cattywompus-one of my favorite words, my Dad used to say that. No way would I block a quilt every time I washed it. It seems if you prewashed your fabric and cut it on the grain, and your blocks were even, there would be no need. But then, I only dust every two weeks, so I would be the wrong person to make commentary on someone who wanted to Martha Stewart it up.
My dad used to say it all the time too~
Sometimes we used to say "Kittywampus" tomatoe - tomatoe :lol: