Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you buy quilt kits?? >

Do you buy quilt kits??

Do you buy quilt kits??

Old 10-30-2012, 12:49 PM

I think kits are great.Especially when first learning to quilt, everything you need is right there for you and theres usually enough left over that if you mess up, you can correct it.I haven't bought a kit in quite some time the last one I bought was for a baby quilt and it turned out great with enough left over to make burping cloths.I think everyone should buy at least one kit throughout their quilt making lives- you might be surprised just how well it will turn out!
Old 10-30-2012, 02:22 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I buy quilt kits all the time and I've quilted for a long time. I buy them from Fat Quarters and Fons and Porters and other online shops and my LQS. Also, at LQS I'll see a quilt on the wall that I love everything about it and they'll have a kit for it and I'll snatch it up. I also buy kits out of quilt magazines.

I don't see anything wrong with it. I take way too long when I try to put together a quilt kit myself. Usually the store owner takes over and by the time I'm done, what I have is what the store owner likes, not what I like.

I have lots of fabric lines that I makes quilts out of, but I have lots of kits in my storage unit and bookcase and drawers still. I'm not great with putting together a quilt, even after sewing for a long time. I have lots of doubt, so I love the kits over the LQS owners opinions.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

I don't buy kits. Not that there is anything wrong with kits, I just prefer to do my own.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:18 PM

I do both, but mostly chose my own fabrics. But when I see one on sale that is discounted enough that I really couldn't buy the fabric for that price and I love it then I buy it. I have always had plenty of fabric in the kits. I only buy them from reputable companies though. I won't buy one unless it is put together by the company and not by a seller making up the kit. That I would not trust. But for the most part, I am shocked by how much some of the quiting catalogs charge for kits. And I won't buy a pattern at regular price either when I have too many magazines and quilting books already. Of course I bought them on sale or at yard sales too!!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:24 PM

I never buy kits. Part of the fun of making a quilt is collecting the fabrics for it. I am going on a Bus Shop Hop on Nov. 10 and have 2 different quilts that I am collecting fabrics for. It is fun to go on the Shop Hops when collecting fabrics for a quilt. I have however, bought kits for table toppers.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:52 PM

I bought one, it was a tumbler block quilt with beautiful Asian fabrics. I tweaked it by adding sashing and double borders and it came out very nice. But I probably will not buy another one because I like to wash my fabrics before I use them and the pre-cuts aren't real conducive to that.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 PM

I was just asking myself this same question the other day. I see that a number of you feel as I do. I don't have enough confidence in myself to know to pick the right colors so for that reason I would be drawn to kits. Also I was wondering if any of you bought kits to build a stash. I was going to do the very same thing the other day. A kit with over 10 yds. of material was something like $59 which with fabric prices being what they are I thought that was a good deal as I don't really have a stash going yet. I did look around a bit more and found yardage for $3 a yard. I am glad I waited, but I can see if the price is right and heaven knows I have been bitten by the fabric bug I would buy, buy, buy if I could. I don't feel so strange knowing I am not the only one with this condition.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:34 AM

Thanks for the question Courtney. I've made a few quilts but no kits so far but the interesting answers to your question made me think and I'm going to have a look at kits as well as all the yummy fabrics when I go to the Duxford (UK) show this Friday.
Annie
Old 10-31-2012, 03:05 AM

I should be purchasing kits because someone else would be taking care of the color selection for me because I'm bad at it, but I'm too much of a rebel and would find myself changing things anyway. I look at pictures of quilts online (Google, Flickr, here) and get ideas about which colors go together well and patterns that I find attractive. Then I change it all up.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:25 AM

Although there are some gorgeous ones out there, I can't afford the price of the quilt kits, so I just find free patterns on the web that looks interesting & go from there with my stash. Occasionally I'll have to fill in with a color or two, but mostly use my stash. I have recently gotten two patterns only which I intend to make & am very excited about. I have the pattern though, so I can take my time collecting the fabrics as I can afford. Have fun!!