Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you consider it "cheating" >

Do you consider it "cheating"

Do you consider it "cheating"

Old 02-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

Cheating or exploring new ways :D:D:D

I wonder what quilters from the past would think about seam rippers, rotary cutters, rulers, stencils and all of the other gadgets that we commonly use now :D:D:D

I have an embroidery machine as I cannot do handwork anymore... I machine quilt for the same reason. I would love a long arm, but not necessarily a computerized one like that quite yet...but maybe in the future when I could no longer use the LA :wink: I will evolve and adapt to be able to keep doing what I love to do :D:D:D

As long as quilting remains popular, does it really matter whether it is all done by hand, or part of it, or none? As long as the interest is still out there, this art form will not die away...and this is a good thing, right? I was drawn into quilting by seeing some of the newer quilts/methods/fabrics...and NOW I have a better appreciation of quilting in it's entirety :D:D:D
Old 02-25-2010, 11:05 AM

Whether you are using a computerized machine that is "doing its own thing" or not, there is still work and knowledge involved in getting it to that point. Same thing with machine embroidery. It's not as simple as hooping fabric, setting the machine to sew a design and walking away, leaving the machine on its own. As a matter of fact, I never leave my embroidery machine unattended while it's doing a design; too many things can go wrong.

I don't think I would like the totally computerized quilting, but I think the word "cheating" may be misplaced. To each his own, I say!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:19 AM

I have an embroidery machine. Is it "Cheating" to use it instead of hand doing it? or instead of guiding the regular sewing machine to do it? NO, it is just another way to do it. Each to their own as to what they like.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:02 PM

Well said, that is exactly how I feel. Just did not know how to put it into words, always afraid I will offend someone. Thank you.
Originally Posted by Ronster
I always hand quilt, but not because I consider machine quilting "cheating"--it's because I really love traditional quilts and patterns and--no offense, y'all--I just don't like the overall auto-quilted look of most machine quilting. I certainly appreciate ALL the work--designing, planning, piecing, and quilting (by whatever method)--that goes into every quilt, and I *do* machine-piece often on my old Kenmore. It's just the look of the stitches: I prefer the look of hand quilting.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

I used a cheater fabric years ago. added borders and hand quilted it all. I still love it. the colors mainly are what got to me. and the cheater cloth wasn't on the grain. the print was off a tiny bit so if you look at that, you could tell it wasn't pieced right away.
i have more but will use those as backings on lap quilts i have planned.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:15 PM

I did my first quilt (in my avatar) totally by hand, piecing and quilting. My second, a wall hanging, I did by machine. I love the hand work but it took me forever to do it and I want to be able to get more done in a shorter time, so I'm learning to use the machine to do them. My goal is to make one every month or six weeks or so to give to a chemo patient.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

Baby, if I had the money and the room I would certainly do large, biggy BIG quilts like that. That way I could do the lap quilts by hand. I do not consider that to be cheating.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:35 PM

I've decided there can be no "cheating" if there are no rules being broken.

For a contest, a person must do whatever is required. All done by hand, all done by machine, or whatever the case may be.

For everything else, a person must do whatever is fun for them. If sewing every stitch by hand is fun for you, do it. If playing with all the fancy gadgets is fun for you, do it.

Once things quit being fun, why bother?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:42 PM

I myself prefer that the quilting not be done by computer. I still like and prefer the idea of quilting it by hand-guided machine, on a frame and all. Especially for quilts being shown, I think it should be specified by hand guided machine or computerized. If it gets too "mechanical", we might as well go out and buy a commercially manufactured quilt. I think most people would not object to a computer quilted quilt. But I wouldn't like to tell someone "I quilted it", since it was not my developed skill. I would feel compelled to say "I programmed the computer that quilted it". Just IMHO.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:08 PM

I think many women are plain jealous of others who own these machines and can use them with the skill they do...including computer guided systems. I know I am!! What I'd do for a long arm!

Splitting hairs can keep going...maybe I'm cheating at being a good wife and mother by using a washer. Maybe I should be at the creek bashing clothes with rocks. Women are full of guilt because of the pressures we put on ourselves. Where do you draw the line? "Quilts aren't quilts that aren't all hand done." "Quilts aren't quilts unless you hand quilt them, but piecing on machines is o.k." "It's cheating if you piece and quilt on a machine." Then it's "cheating if the machine work is computerized but a long-arm is fine..." Everyone has an opinion and a preference I guess. It's a hobby and I'm going to try to collect the best and most expensive toys and have a heck of a time playing with them.