Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you cut the selvage off yardage?? >

Do you cut the selvage off yardage??

Do you cut the selvage off yardage??

Old 11-15-2015, 06:08 PM

Default Do you cut the selvage off yardage??

I see so many cute things made from selvage strings on this Board. I have never cut off the selvage edge from my yardage because I often refer back to it to get information for future projects. so I just get short selvage pieces the width of my strips----nothing useable. So if you cut off the selvage edges on yardage to get long strings, how do you maintain the fabric information???
Old 11-15-2015, 06:27 PM

I also just leave the selvage and get the tiny pieces as I cut the fabric. When I find a fabric or collection I really like, I will cut out the information on the selvage and leave the rest. Some people like to keep a fabric notebook with a little 1" square of the fabric by it's name, collection, and designer. I don't have time to keep track of my fabric that way, but it's a great organization idea.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:46 PM
Power Poster

From large pieces, I don't, but smaller ones, yes. I save them for the granddaughter of a lady in my church. I actually do not use them myself, but she loves them.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:50 PM

When I cut off selvages I cut just a tiny bit of the fabric on one side so I can identify it later. When I finish each quilt, I make a quilting journal of the fabrics I used in each quilt with either tiny photos or tiny scraps of each fabric. The only time I keep selvages attached are when they say "non commercial use only" because it's not worth the headache for me to put those in a customer's quilt. I try to check fabrics before I purchase them now so I don't end up with such nonsense, but I have a few of them in my stash that I only use for family quilts.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

I rarely cut off the selvages of my fabric for easy reference but i use almost to the edge of the salvage so there is not meat on the bone per say to save.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:44 AM

I rip them off and throw them out unless I need twine. I sewed more garments than quilts and selvedge got in the way.
When I rip, I've found a bit of fabric that isn't straight on the grain. Gives me a straight edge to work with.

I don't have any brand loyalty. I look for the colors and prints I want. I use the old Pantone system. (It looks like paint chips)
Old 11-16-2015, 07:15 AM

No, the selvedge stays on my fabric until I use the pieces that I cut. I guess I don't worry about using that edge when I have yards and yards of fabric to use up first.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

I am like Maniac and use the fabric right to the edge of the selvage so there isn't anything useful left. I have been known to have a bit of selvage in my seam allowance that is how close I cut. I don't use the selvage so much for identification because I tend to have a fabric stashed away for years before using it so not much chance of getting more if I need it.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:30 AM

I don't do anything with the selvage, but if you are cutting several strips couldn't you cut the selvage of the length that will be cut by all the strips put together and then cut the individual strips. That would give you a longer selvage piece and maintain the info on the unused fabric.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

I take a close up photo of the selvage information and another of the fabric a little further away then file it. That way I have a record if I need it.