Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much selvage do you cut?

Blog Entries

How much selvage do you cut?

I added to my collection of selvage today as I prepped a quilt back and wondered how on earth would I make a string quilt from them. I cut off a minimum amount, usually no more than .5 inch and save them to use in my garden or at this time tie presents. Do people deliberately cut off more just to make the selvage string quilts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

I cut an inch total

I cut off about 1/2 inch above the top of the Selvedge. I do save these to make quilts. I know some who only cut off the Selvedge, no more. Personal preference....

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I do about an inch but I save it and keep it close in case I need to go looking for more fabric. I don't use it for strip quilt piecing. If it's a very old then I might.

Power Poster
    I cut off just the selvage not any extra fabric. If I want to use them, I sew them with the finished edge covering the cut edge ( kind of like shingles) I use them for pencil cases or similar where it doesn't matter if they are thicker.

I do it like you do, cut the bare minimum. Usually just toss them. I have seem some really creative things made with them, but that just isn't something I find the time to do.

I usually cut 3/4" beyond the selvage on the "pretty" selvage, and the bare minimum on the "plain" selvage. I make string blocks with them and use them for various projects. One of my favorite purses is made from the selvage string blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I cut off just the selvage not any extra fabric. If I want to use them, I sew them with the finished edge covering the cut edge ( kind of like shingles) I use them for pencil cases or similar where it doesn't matter if they are thicker.
    What a good idea! Mahalo!

I cut mine barely .25" extra so there's not much to use for a selvage project.
    If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

Blog Entries
    I cut mine about inch then use for gardening.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I cut off the minimum but only after I've cut my fabric into strips. It would take me ages to have enough salvages to make a project even if I did cut it off before strip cutting. Some of the projects are really cute.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Power Poster
    I cut off the minimum on the "blank" side - and work my way across the fabric. I like to leave the identifying selvage on the buk of the fabric as long as possible. when I get to that selvage, it ends up being the width it ends up

I do not deliberately cut a wide selvage for any of those selvage projects.

I cut mine one inch total. I have been able to use them for enough blocks for a large quilt. Also make coasters.
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Hmmmn, I've seen cute projects using selveges but have never felt so inclined to save them for this purpose. I never thought of using them in the garden though. Good idea! Guess I will start saving them for that. I could have probably made many things out of them if I had saved them throughout my quilting lifetime LoL. You guys are so smart and thrifty.

I save them for the grand-daughter of a friend. I give a smidge extra so she can see what it looked like.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I used to cut just the bare minimum and use it for string, then saw all the beautiful things to make with them!! Now I cut 3/4 to 1 1/2 inch strips. Got some great plans to use them someday!!!!

Ok, so if selvedges are no good for making garments, or curtains, or quilts, they are odd-looking and hard to sew through, and they have no 'give', then tell me again what I am supposed to do with them?
    Thanks
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

I cut mine about an inch, that way I have enough of the fabric to make things pretty...I like the dots and writing on the selvage, but also like the pretty fabric showing in my project, things look so cheerful and bright, and it doesn't take that many when you are piecing for a big project. I make sure before I cut the selvage that I will have plenty of fabric width to get my cuts I need.

Blog Entries
    I cut mine the narrowest I can, then use them as garden ties or snip them up more & compost them.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

about 1/2" above the selvedge. I like a little color thrown in with the prints.

I only cut the selvedge and maybe another 1/8 to a 1/4". I throw them away. I have way too much fabric to use them.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I cut off the bare minimum so I can always find the fabric if I have to buy more.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I ususally cut leaving some of the fabric pattern. Then each year at the local quilt show I donate them at the door to be used by whoever wants them..

Quote Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
    Ok, so if selvedges are no good for making garments, or curtains, or quilts, they are odd-looking and hard to sew through, and they have no 'give', then tell me again what I am supposed to do with them?
    Thanks
    It's one of the biggest ironies in quilt-land. People take those pieces that others say are unuable for your quilts and guess what they do with them? They make quilts and other gorgeous stuff! I've seen an amazing skirt, purses, coin purses, etc.

I leave approx 1/2 inch of the fabric showing & have made some great quilts, tote bags, mug rugs, etc, etc. Anything you can make with a piece of fabric you can make with the selvages & the finished articles are striking. I get many requests for them. I've seen garments that are cute but haven't done that myself.
    There are a couple of books about using the selvages & much information on the Internet if you google Sewing with selvages.
    It is light hearted & fun, getting enough selvages is very fast if you do a lot of sewing, sometimes friends give me their selvages.

For me they just sort of end up whatever size they end up.

I take the really narrow ones (like in the picture) and braid them, then braid the braids, then braid THOSE braids, then tie knots into it and give it to my dogs to fight over. It's so cute, they know when they see me braiding and knotting I'm making them a toy and they get all excited about it (even though they have a half-dozen at a time, at least, the NEW one is the exciting one). I also use them as string to play with the cats, and I have a jar of them set aside that I use as "ribbon" when I'm wrapping hand-made gifts. I like the garden ties idea too but we can't seem to get a garden going at this house!

The wider ones that have a little fabric left on them, in the past have often ended up in crazy quilts, but I've started saving them to the side lately; I have in mind trying those out for those fabric-wrapped rope bowls I've seen people making.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast