Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you cut your yardage down?

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I don't cut my fabrics down to store them but when I'm ready to cut for a quilt I'll cut off shorter amounts. A pattern will generally call for several strips of the same width so I cut that amount plus an inch or so off my yardage and starch and iron before I cut.
    This is what I do also.
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I leave my fabrics all in one piece ... and cut them down as I use them.

This way, you keep the piece as big as possible. As you said, you are kind of designing as you go. What if you take the notion to use that fabric as the backing? (for this or another project) .... the larger the piece the better as if you have cut it up, you may end up with the need to seam it in one or more places to get it back to where you want it.

Blog Entries
    I agree with this
    Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    I never cut it down until I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by nonda View Post
    I bought several yards (7-10) of the same fabric, knowing that I wouldn't use them all for the quilt I am starting, but wanting to keep some for stash; hence, my question~what size pieces do you cut off when starting to cut your block pieces?
    Thanks for your advice! I just have a really hard time with such a large piece of fabric

Tonya
    When I'm buying a large amount of yardage, I usually ask the clerk to cut it in 3 yard increments. I mostly make queen size, and 3 yards is okay for a section of the backing. It's also easier to cut small pieces off a 3 yard piece - working with more than 3 yards is awkward to handle.

Banned
    Yup same here. It remains in one piece (and on the bolt if I have it) until I need it. I always have a bolt of muslin handy.

I cut it as I need it.

when I get large pieces I do not cut off any until I have a quilt planned and then cut a bit more than I think I will need.then I get a crap pile started for scrap quilts without messing up the big piece-so I still have options later
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

I usually guess how many inches I will need, make a tear a few inches more, and rip. I find it too hard to work with such large pieces.

NO, NO, NO! Don't cut it down until you are ready to use it . Have someone help you fold it, but don't chop it into pieces!

Power Poster
    I keep larger pieces of fabric whole. You never know when you might need that fabric for backing or some other use. I've gotten fabric on sale for a backing, only to have it tell me that it wanted top billing for a top, so change of plans. I might cut off 1 -2 yards when making a quilt, but generally I like to keep it whole. Recently I received some very large pieces of fabric, but I cut off only what I needed, I started with cutting off one yard at a time for my quiting projects and it works for me.

I'm with Donnamarie. I do not enjoy handling such large pieces of fabric. I would cut off some so you have enough for lengthwise strips for borders for the largest quilt you might make. (96 - 108 ?) Then the rest can be cut WOF or any way you like as you need it.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I would "questamate" how much fabric I will need for blocks. You should be able to based on size if quilt and how much of fabric you will use in block. If unsure look on another quilt pattern. Reason for cutting down is that this much yardage is hard to handle on table especially after pressing and then refolding. Sometimes the extra yardage will not lay and will pull the area that you are cutting.

Tonya.......I have found that for me the best way to handle large pieces of fabric is to wind it on a cardboard fabric core (free for the asking at any fabric store). Makes it easy to store and easy to work from. If it is fabric that needs to be prewashed, I use a large basting machine stitch and put the ends together for washing. Much easier to handle and keeps the ends from being a major string mess. Make sense?

I don't cut down my yardage either. I store my fabrics in clear plastic bins and I have one dedicated to lengths that are at least 3 yards long. Oh I dip into it for projects but as long as the remaining piece is at least three yards long, it goes back to the bin. If it is smaller, then it goes in another bin according to color. It the remaining piece is less than1/4 yard,I either cut it in 6" or smaller if it is truly a scrap. This all works for me. Develop a process that works for you which is what I think you are doing. Happy Quilting.

I, also, leave my fabric as is until I pull it for a quilt. One of the shelves is dedicated to storing the homongous pieces!

Well I looked at this post to see what everybody else does and found out they do the same as I do. Cut as you need it

I cut as I need it.

Keep it whole....use it as you need it....
    There is no place like home!

I agree with winding it on a bolt - I actually use 'mini bolts' like the comic book boards. I buy the foam board at the dollar store and cut it into 6 smaller boards, fold my fabric in half lengthwise so it's about 11" wide. It's a little wider than the board is high but that isn't a problem with storage. That makes it very easy for me to manage a large yardage, unroll what I need, and 2 turns around the board is very close to a yard so it's easy to estimate what I have left.

I am one who prewashes fabrics, but I don't iron yardage. As a result, my folded fabrics tend to be a bit wrinkled. So... my solution is to cut off one yard at a time and press that before cutting my block parts. Makes all the stages more managable for me.

Isn't it Murphy's Law that if you cut fabric in one yard pieces the next pattern you use will require a piece three inches longer than a yard? I've learned the hard way not to cut until I'm ready to use.

Never cut tip needed. Have decided not to use material on planned quilt and later used it as backing with less piecing than if cut.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Another vote for leaving the fabric in one piece. If I cut it in smaller sections, I might misplace some of it (I'm a bit of a scatterbrain when it comes to remembering where I've stashed my stash)

Never cut it down, keep in one piece.
    Have a Blessed night
    Ellen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2