Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you design your quilts?  Share your Tips & Tricks with us >

Do you design your quilts? Share your Tips & Tricks with us

Do you design your quilts? Share your Tips & Tricks with us

Old 10-12-2010, 08:13 PM

quote=GrannytoJJA]please I am new to this site and wonder what is EQ?[/quote]
Old 10-12-2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by GrannytoJJA
please I am new to this site and wonder what is EQ?
Hi, I didn't know what it was either and mailmanldy gave me a wonderful explanation on page 5.

:thumbup:
Old 10-12-2010, 10:17 PM

I just downloaded my copy of Quiltpro 6. I haven't used it yet though. I do have Quiltpro 5 (not opened, bought for free upgrade to 6), and I have 123 Quilt. The 123quilt is the most basic program made by quilt pro. You cannot design your own blocks with it, it has preset blocks in it.
I can't vouch for how fast they will be at getting it done. Mine that I have used go pretty fast. The problem is that when I get started on them, they are just like this board, they become very addicting! I spend hours on them sometimes!
I also quite often fall back to using my graph paper and colored pencils....old habits are hard to break!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by slk350
Is there a pattern for the I Spy quilts that you make ? My 4 year old grandson loves "reading" the I Spy books with me. He would love a quilt made by Mema
The fun of I Spy quilts is that you have no rules you have to go by. I just posted a top I finished today in the pictures section. You can have all the squares the same size and sew them side by side, row by row. You can have different sizes and fit them together like a puzzle, adding strips and pieces to make rows come out even. You can add sashing or sew the blocks directly together. If there is a pattern, I haven't seen one. I just get the blocks together, and when I have enough, I lay them out and move them around until I like the way it looks. Then I measure, sew and trim. It's sooooo much fun!!
Hugs and smiles. Just jump right in there!!
Old 10-16-2010, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Do you design your quilts? If so what tips do you have to share with us?

Do you use graph paper to sketch out your quilt?

Do you use EQ computer program to plan your quilt? Is so what # for the version are you using?
I have designed one quilt for my nieces baby posted on this site, and I used EQ7 to lay it out so I can see what it is like. EQ7 has the advantage of being able to print your fabric and add it to the fabric library. It looks better if I can see what I want to use. I also cut my 1/2 square triangles larger then trim the block to the size required. I am some times off so this way I know I will get the right size.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:32 AM

Nice quilts & like the batiks in your DDs quilt.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:56 AM

My only medialion"design" wasn't really....was just luck that I ever got it done.I started with center log cabin blocks, then decided to "wing" it.This was my 4th or 5th quilt,so had no clue what I was doing.It's scrappy,K size & lots of wonkiness going on :-) Being able to figure out how to make a block I've seen helps a lot in making up my "own" pattern.Love looking at pics to choose my next project. So actual design is done by someone else.Don't have any quilt software.

http://news.webshots.com/photo/11479...42468830YlClOd">http://thumb10.webshots.net/s/thumb2...4YlClOd_th.jpg" alt="MEDALLION SCRAP">