Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you design your quilts?  Share your Tips & Tricks with us >

Do you design your quilts? Share your Tips & Tricks with us

Do you design your quilts? Share your Tips & Tricks with us

Old 10-11-2010, 04:25 AM

I use Quilt Pro. They just came out with a new version - QP6. I really like it. It is not too hard to learn. I also have EQ7, but I don't like it as much. I am having a hard time learning how to use that one.
What I like about computer programs is you can set up the basic quilt and then easily change the fabric, the settings, anything about the quilt with just a few strokes of the keys. Then you can save the versions you like.
I often draft blocks that I see and save them for future use.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Do you design your quilts? If so what tips do you have to share with us?

Do you use graph paper to sketch out your quilt?

Do you use EQ computer program to plan your quilt? Is so what # for the version are you using?
I bought the EQ7 and I love it, I have made 3 quilt tops already that I am trying to finish up. I have scanned almost all of my stash into the library and Iam using that to design my quilts, what great fun I have been having.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by glenda5253
I am amazed that so many of you design your own quilts. I thought unless you were a designer for fabric company everyone just used patterns they found. What exactly is EQ and how does it work? Do you start with a basic pattern like churn dash, nine patch, etc. and go from there? I know I am showing how green I am about quilting but hope you don't mind. :?: :?: :?:
Electric Quilt is a wonderful program that lets you create your own blocks, quilts, etc. From designing your own blocks... putting in your own fabrics, and even putting your quilting stencil in the color of thread you want to use, so you can get an idea of what your completed quilt will look like, before ever taking a rotary cutter to fabric. It has hundreds of blocks already in the program, with other add on programs from people like Karen Stone (New York beauty type blocks), Judy Martin (Stars) and many others. You can take a block to the worktable, and add or delete lines and alter them in almost any way you can image.. as long as you can still sew the block it can be done in the program.

If you do machine embroidery, you can put a representation of your embrodiery design on your quilt, so you can see what it would look like. You could design your own applique designs. If you do memory quilts, you can put your pictures on your virtual quilt to see how everything will look before you ever print out your pictures on fabric, so you dont' waste fabric trying to get the "right size".

Do you want to see what your blocks would look like on point?? Click..Click and you have an on point layout. Want to see how the quilt will look with multiple borders?? Click Click.. presto.. more borders. What about if you want to add sashing.. how would that look.. click click... cool!!!! Need to create a quilt a specific size??? Just alter the size of the blocks, border, sashing.. and you can control the finished size of the quilt.

The one thing the program DOES NOT DO... and this is important for new quilters... it does NOT tell you how to sew it all together. You won't get step by step instructions on how to cut your fabric, how to sew it all back together, or how to finish your quilt. So you do need some basic understanding of how to construct a quilt. BUT.. you CAN print out foundation papers for paper piecing blocks, Rotary cutting diagrams that show how wide to cut strips and then what size to cut into subsets. Templates for applique, and as long as you colored in your quilt with the correct colors you are going to use, it will even give you estimates on how much of each fabric you will need to make your quilt. As well as print out a picture of your completed quilt, so you have a picture to refer to or keep for your records.

Hope this explains a little bit about what the program can do. If you have any more questions.. don't hesitate to ask.. I'm sure someone here will be able to answer them.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mailmanldy
Originally Posted by glenda5253
I am amazed that so many of you design your own quilts. I thought unless you were a designer for fabric company everyone just used patterns they found. What exactly is EQ and how does it work? Do you start with a basic pattern like churn dash, nine patch, etc. and go from there? I know I am showing how green I am about quilting but hope you don't mind. :?: :?: :?:
Electric Quilt is a wonderful program that lets you create your own blocks, quilts, etc. From designing your own blocks... putting in your own fabrics, and even putting your quilting stencil in the color of thread you want to use, so you can get an idea of what your completed quilt will look like, before ever taking a rotary cutter to fabric. It has hundreds of blocks already in the program, with other add on programs from people like Karen Stone (New York beauty type blocks), Judy Martin (Stars) and many others. You can take a block to the worktable, and add or delete lines and alter them in almost any way you can image.. as long as you can still sew the block it can be done in the program.

If you do machine embroidery, you can put a representation of your embrodiery design on your quilt, so you can see what it would look like. You could design your own applique designs. If you do memory quilts, you can put your pictures on your virtual quilt to see how everything will look before you ever print out your pictures on fabric, so you dont' waste fabric trying to get the "right size".

Do you want to see what your blocks would look like on point?? Click..Click and you have an on point layout. Want to see how the quilt will look with multiple borders?? Click Click.. presto.. more borders. What about if you want to add sashing.. how would that look.. click click... cool!!!! Need to create a quilt a specific size??? Just alter the size of the blocks, border, sashing.. and you can control the finished size of the quilt.

The one thing the program DOES NOT DO... and this is important for new quilters... it does NOT tell you how to sew it all together. You won't get step by step instructions on how to cut your fabric, how to sew it all back together, or how to finish your quilt. So you do need some basic understanding of how to construct a quilt. BUT.. you CAN print out foundation papers for paper piecing blocks, Rotary cutting diagrams that show how wide to cut strips and then what size to cut into subsets. Templates for applique, and as long as you colored in your quilt with the correct colors you are going to use, it will even give you estimates on how much of each fabric you will need to make your quilt. As well as print out a picture of your completed quilt, so you have a picture to refer to or keep for your records.

Hope this explains a little bit about what the program can do. If you have any more questions.. don't hesitate to ask.. I'm sure someone here will be able to answer them.
Thank you mailmanldy for the wonderful explanation...that is surely one thing for my wish list. In the meantime hope to get more comfortable just making quilts from someone else's pattern.

:D :D :D
Old 10-11-2010, 07:06 AM

The 'math' is my husband's job! I just cut and sew! He enjoys putting the quilt on the frame too. Nice guy, isn't he?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 AM

I've been quilting for ten years. I've used 3 store bought patterns: Turning Twenty (had no fat quarters, used yardage), Trip Around the World (before I saw how easy it would be to make), and a quilt called Night Weave, using an X-Block ruler (had to have instructions to know what to do with the ruler.) Other than those 3, I have designed all my blocks/quilts on graph paper and/or EQ5. EQ5 has kept me from constructing a quilt with fabric choices in the wrong spot! I love having my own fabrics show up in the layout, so I see how they play against each other. I've never upgraded from EQ5, since it's expensive and 5 does all I need to do. Love it!! Once it's designed, I use a lined notebook and write down all my cuts and assembly order, plus notes to myself in case I ever want to repeat the design! I doubt I ever will, but now that I've started teaching at my LQS, those notes are valuable!!
Old 10-11-2010, 09:49 AM

I do it in my head and use post it notes. I figure the size pieces I need, a draw a little sketch and off I go.

The post it work great when I go through my stash and bundle some fabrics together, design on post it note and put it all together in a bag for later.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:11 AM

I do design some of my quilts. I have bought the new edition of the electric quilt but haven't used it. What I have used is Bernina's Designer's Plus, their latest version has a quilter's section. Before this, I used graph paper. The software is neat as it will tell you how much fabric you need and also what sizes you need to print with triangles, squares, etc. Looking forward to trying out the Electric Quilt.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:19 AM

I do design most of my quilts; it always starts with ' I want a blue, green, red, purple, etc.. colored quilt' then I decide what block(s) I'll make, next is the size. Then I just keep making blocks until I have a size I'm happy with.
I currently have a 'red white & blue' quilt in the making, it'll use EPP , big stich, and applique with sashing between the blocks.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:44 AM

I do a lot of my own, and I use graph paper and colored pencils, or once in awhile, the Paint program on my computer.

Right now I'm working on a baby quilt with hot air balloons. The balloons are pieced, my own design. Easy to draft on graph paper, the pain is adding seam allowances. The other pain has been the arrangement of the balloons on the background. So I made some "to scale" drawings on post-it notes and have been moving them around the graph paper, trying to figure out the best composition.