Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you dislike traditional quilting >

Do you dislike traditional quilting

Do you dislike traditional quilting

Old 02-11-2011, 06:43 AM

Hey WV, first , let me say I love your Avatar (my fav. flower)
Where in WV. as we spend summers in Clarksburg. Do the hop every June.
Glad to meet you, nunnyJO
Old 02-11-2011, 06:44 AM

My condensed answer - I admire all genres of quilting.
It has helped me in many ways such as:
find the ability to relax with a hobby,
take progressive steps to creativity,
awaken artistic senses,
expand my world of seeing color,
perfect a skill when necessary,
maintain friendships,
have a ready challenge or comfort in each day.

I continue to be eclectic by making traditional quilting crafts to support bazaar tables and contemporary to art type projects for myself.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:53 AM

I like to make a different quilt pattern every time or by a different method. None of my quilts are alike.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:57 AM

I like and prefer traditional quilting. But I like mine to be used by the recipients - not stuffed into a closet or hung on the wall.

OTOH, I am in awe of those who do the artsy quilts. I have seen several at quilts shows that I examine in much the same way that I would study a De Vinci or Monet....
Old 02-11-2011, 07:14 AM

I lean more towards contemporary and fun bright quilts. Some traditional quilts are ok though - I just like to do them in bold bright colors.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:39 AM

I agree with you completely. I tried a couple of art quilts but I prefer something that can be used more than just a wall hanging. It's always more fun to invent your own patterns.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:41 AM

Perhaps it's just your style of quilting. Maybe your friend didn't realize that you are trying to go beyond old fashioned quilting and make it more your own style.
Originally Posted by ckcowl
kind of funny...someone asked me a while ago...what kind of quilter are you? i had no idea how to answer that...and my friend turned around and said...she's a traditional quilter...this surprised me...i responded...really?
i guess i really do not know what makes a person a traditional quilter or not...i design quilts...make lots of different styles types, sizes, shapes and use numerous techniques from paper piecing, applique, stained glass, template piecing...just everything...so...why is what i do considered ... traditional? maybe it's the fabric choice? i don't really use the modern, cottage floral fabrics, i guess i do use more traditional fabrics...but i like batiks and fairy frost's...so i just don't understand the distinction of traditional vs modern quilter??? ;)
Old 02-11-2011, 07:42 AM

I love the old quilting designs, I am from the old era and that is what I love but this is just me. Everybody has their idea of what they like, wouldn't it be boring if everybody liked the same thing?????? Just do what you like and don't worry about what everybody else is doing. I do like all kind of quilts though, I have never seen a quilt that I didn't like no matter how it was made.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:45 AM

I agree with you. I love the look of traditional quilting, just get bored with doing them myself. My husband used to tell me I had a short attention span. It's odd that I like to do hand quilting, go figure. just sewing all those little pieces together drives me batty and I want to be able to truely call it mine.
Originally Posted by k3n
I absolutely do NOT dislike traditional quilting - I love it, I want to own 'traditional quilts' and I drool over them on here, in books, at shows etc. Also making those was how I started and where I 'earned my spurs' so to speak. BUT I don't like to make them anymore. I get bored. I find the modern techniques like OBW, art quilts, landscape quilts, etc give me more scope for creativity and developing my own design skills and this keeps my interest throughout the process. I don't like to get into the state of mind that I read so often about on here that a project just has to get DONE - as if it's a chore. This is for me primarily a hobby (though I am beginning to make a little income from it). So I want to enjoy the process of creating a quilt, quilted art piece etc. Otherwise to me it's pointless. :-D
Old 02-11-2011, 07:46 AM

I love your avatar.My kind of quilt