Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you double check before buying here?

Blog Entries
    I don't think anyone is trying to be unfair, that is why I really debated about saying anything...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I don't think anyone is trying to be unfair, that is why I really debated about saying anything...
    i think it's fine that the question came up. it seems to be one that others have been asking themselves.

i was just throwing in a few cents. not accusing anybody of anthing.

;-)

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    i think it's fine that the question came up. it seems to be one that others have been asking themselves.

i was just throwing in a few cents. not accusing anybody of anthing.

;-)
    Ditto, PatriceJ. I sell on here and buy on here and it is a choice. I buy what I think is a fair price in todays's market and for what it is. I have had to pass up some I would love to have because of price but it's like I say....if it is out of your budget, keep looking. So many items, so many prices.
    I have bought a lot and have been so pleased with prices and items. Most of them come in and they are more than I expected. Always delighted.
    Now if a member is raising money to get medicine or bills, I am glad to pay a little more to help.
    Those who sell for too much usually don't sell mucha nd lower prices eventually.
    Personally, if I can buy the item for the same price here and not pay shipping, then of course, I pass. Easy, PEasy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I just love the beautiful colors on your posts.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Sadie Mae. I wanted to add, you would think in Germany, these prices would look great. My understanding is it is expensive overseas for fabric and such. By the way, I live in Bad Kreuznach for 3 years. I love Germany.

I haven't purchased from here.

My purchasing decisions are researched, and I compare local prices (New Zealand) to US prices (including shipping) and a conservative exchange rate. At the moment it is "cheaper" to buy the same product direct from the US.

I don't tend to purchase very often, and when I do it is "in bulk" (which makes the shipping worthwhile).

Retail costs are pretty high here (approximately $30 per metre) - and that is way out of my price range. Gotta love a budget :)

Thanks to my awesome (retired) Mum, who gives me cash at my birthday to buy enough fabric (from the States) to make 1 quilt a year (which I hand quilt). I think she's absolutely fabulous! Yep - Love my Mum to bits :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I sell my items at what I consider a low price,compared to what I see in shops and on sites like etsy and e bay. I dont charge as much because the kind hearted folks on here have supplied me with a lot of my supplies,so Im mostly charging for labor.Im not trying to take advantage of anyone,and I dont really think anyone else is either. I havent ever bought books,but I give everyone the benefit of the doubt.We are all free to check and compare prices and buy or not. I love this forum,and considering how many members are here,I think its run very smoothly and fairly. Nice people here!!

Quote Originally Posted by PegD
    There was a book on here for $10.00 plus shipping and I found it on Amazon for $.10 plus $3.99 shipping. So it does pay to check. I don't usually pay that much for shipping, but the book's price was right.
    Isn't all the shipping on Amazon $3.99??

Haven't purchased anything off a message board since 2002. Have enough issues with amazon's outsourced customer service. Don't need to throw any old school board problems into the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    There was a book on here for $10.00 plus shipping and I found it on Amazon for $.10 plus $3.99 shipping. So it does pay to check. I don't usually pay that much for shipping, but the book's price was right.
    No.

No.

If you are an international purchaser - there are different pricing structures again.

Quote Originally Posted by pookie ookie
    No.
    Well all the books I have bought on Amazon lately, last couple of months, have been $3.99 shipping.

AnneT I agree with you. Unless you have unlimited funds, it would be foolish not to price check elsewhere before spending your hard earned dollars. That shouldn't offend anyone. Probably some folks post things without doing any research and don't realize they are overpriced. I've never purchased a book off the site because they have always been available elsewhere less expensively.

I have sold books on AMazon and it is very discouraging that the "value" of a book has little to do with the price. In other words, some great books go for 1 cent, no matter what the content. It's all about supply and demand.

Banned
    I don't usually pay that much for shipping, but the book's price was right.
    No.
    Well all the books I have bought on Amazon lately, last couple of months, have been $3.99 shipping.
    You pay no shipping in the States if your order is $25 or more

As a general rule, I check prices and buy from the cheapest place. However, if a friend has something I want, I might pay a little more to help them out. Different circumstances dictate different actions.

Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo
    I don't usually pay that much for shipping, but the book's price was right.
    No.
    You pay no shipping in the States if your order is $25 or more
    I usually don't order that much.

I have sold fabric on here before and I always sell it at a cost that is very reasonable.I have even been told that I am selling it for too little,but It just makes me feel good to help someone else.I have seen some really expensive prices on here also,that is why it pays to shop around.

Yes, I check prices with Amazon, Half.com and ebay before making a decision to purchase.

Anne, I will be visiting your fair country around Christmas. Our daughter lives in Bavaria. Really looking forward to seeing the beautiful countryside.

I don't believe Sadiemae meant any disrespect toward anyone. I believe she was just stating a "thought" that I am sure we all might have had at one time or another, including myself. That is why this is the perfect community for kudos, tuts, help, lessons, support, friendship, paying it forward; I could go on but we all know the benefits here. So I thank each of you for each of the aforementioned benefits. Now let us enjoy our coffee and conversations.

I never buy anything from here. Anything I have wanted was sold before I ever see the post. And I do find the book to be priced to high, so I never even consider buying them.

It would be hard to compete with Amazon and since they have so many places to pull from, it would be next to impossible. I believe when people post books etc, they are only trying to clear out what they don't use anymore and really don't think twice about comparing to Amazon.

Blog Entries
    I'm glad this has come up. Recently I saw some books for sale and I googled looking for a review (never buy a book unseen without a review!) First site that came up on my google search, there they were for half what was being asked here. I assumed the vendor just had no idea what they were worth- people often assume their second hand stuff is more valuable than it really us, but I was not going to take a chance on PMing the poster and saying this, as people are not necessarily going to appreciate that.

If some inexpereinced vendors are reading, they might learn something and hopefully increase their sales by pitching their price right.

And, on a tangent, have we ever had quilting book reviews on here?

I have been happy with the purchases I have made here - I also do Amazon as well - I haven't had the feeling that anyone has taken advantage - Shipping is bazaar and an unfortunate fact of life - I like that I can find things here that I can't find somewhere else sometimes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast