Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Do you double check before buying here?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsongrc
    Quote Originally Posted by VernaL
    Carol, that little cat of yours is sooooooo cute!!!!
    Verna
    Not on-subject
    Quilt police and blog police?

Quote Originally Posted by AnneT
    First things first: I don't want to offend somebody over here as I find this a very friendly community with lots of more than generous people! Thats also the reason for this posting: Do you double check the price before buying something from somebody over here? Or do you trust in the persons who offer their goods without doing a price research in advance?
    IMHO and that is just, what I found out, especially books seem to be quite expensive, to say the least. Before buying them over here, I check Amazon, and most of the times, the books there are way (!!) cheaper, like half of the price here or even less. Just a thought, b/c I dislike the idea of somebody taking advantage of your good hearts and trust. Like PatriceJ says: "You are all free to choose for yourselves. I, for one, do not intend to buy anything from anyone who seems to be trying to take advantage of us or this section."
    Quilting hugs from Germany,
    Anne
    I live in England and have just bought fabric from a lovely lady on this board, I know it is a chance to take, but it was fine and saved me a lot of money as fabric is so much more expensive here as I believe it is in Germany.. sometimes we just have to take a chance and keep the fingers corssed.. it worked for me.. try to use someone who you see frequently on the board itself, less risk that way. Good Luck

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by tuesy
    I always do. Right now there are some books that I'm interested in, but for the price that's listed I won't purchase from here. I've found them elsewhere alot cheaper. Fabric is another story. If I really like it and it's in my budget, I'll get it no matter what. So it just all depends on what it is.
    I agree. I don't buy the books listed here because there is no place I know of that's less pricey than Amazon.com.
    As for the fabric. I have purchased some here, but only if it is a familiar brand and the price is fair. I doubt anyone here would attempt to cheat us, but people everywhere have different ideas of what their sale items are worth. 8-)

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by PegD
    There was a book on here for $10.00 plus shipping and I found it on Amazon for $.10 plus $3.99 shipping. So it does pay to check. I don't usually pay that much for shipping, but the book's price was right.
    Isn't all the shipping on Amazon $3.99??
    No, many times you pay no shipping because it's one of the books that are listed as "Prime." I'm not exactly sure what that means. I used to think it meant brand new. But now I know it doesn't necessarily mean that, because I've bought used books and gotten prime shipping on them, meaning no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bev
    There was a book on here for $10.00 plus shipping and I found it on Amazon for $.10 plus $3.99 shipping. So it does pay to check. I don't usually pay that much for shipping, but the book's price was right.
    No, many times you pay no shipping because it's one of the books that are listed as "Prime." I'm not exactly sure what that means. I used to think it meant brand new. But now I know it doesn't necessarily mean that, because I've bought used books and gotten prime shipping on them, meaning no charge.
    A Prime account costs $79 per year, but everything you purchase from Amazon ships for free. Prime does not apply to the majority of third party sales. The amount of items I purchase from Amazon in a year more than pays for the membership in a Prime account. Even the items, used books for example, that I have purchased through sellers sponsered by Amazon Marketplace have minimal shipping costs. Lke anything else you have to know the cost of items so you don't overpay; however, in the last 13 years I've saved a bundle on items I couldn't find anywhere else. In the past two months I've found some very cool deals on quilting notions and two gently used quilting books for less than ten dollars each. Amazon is terrific in my humble opinion, but so are the folks who offer items for sale on this board.

I'm so glad you brought this up. I too noticed the prices on books and fabric. I was thinking of getting rid of a few books and I thought 2 or 3 dollars would be good plus the exact shipping.

I'm not sure if some of the ladies are really doing business and that would account for the prices. I more or less am thinking of garage sale lol. ...so the prices would be a steal.

I mean it's ok with me what they want to charge.

I guess I will have to start rummaging again and doing a gagrage sale on here.

Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo
    Quote Originally Posted by pookie ookie
    I don't usually pay that much for shipping, but the book's price was right.
    No.
    Well all the books I have bought on Amazon lately, last couple of months, have been $3.99 shipping.
    You pay no shipping in the States if your order is $25 or more
    +
    Here's the deal. I have shopped Amazon a lot...not only for books for anything. If you purchase a new book from Amazon and it says free shipping, that mean you have to spend 25.00 at least and the shipping is free.

you can save you books until you get enough. I can never wait lol.

Now if you buy a used book from an individual, not Amazon...the shipping is usually 3.99 and it doesn't matter how many books you buy...it's 3.99each book. I get good deals on used books.

Power Poster
    So - how many of you buy a book at a LQS and pay the cover price?

(And don't fuss about it?)

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    So - how many of you buy a book at a LQS and pay the cover price?

(And don't fuss about it?)
    I would never, and have never, bought a book at my LQS. I do believe in buying fabrics at my LQS, although I buy fabric on-line also. But books, no. It's foolish economy. I can go to Amazon and get the same book for much less. I can also get a book I want at Joann's for 50% off when I have a coupon. I want my LQS to stay in business, but I also want to be careful with my budget, if I save here and there, there will be enough for me to purchase fabric when I need it. But, I don't buy books very often anymore

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skothing
    Verna
    Not on-subject
    Ditto. ROFL. If you get on any post on here we tend to jump around on subjects because we know each other and like to comment. There are no rules about . SOMe silly people even post funny pictures. *H*U*G*S*

It's like talking in person, you talk about it all. ROFL
    Name:  Attachment-126545.gif
Views: 5
Size:  5.7 KB

Gal
    Amazon Books are half of what I would pay here in New Zealand so that is where I go first!
    Gal

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Verna
    Not on-subject
    Ditto. ROFL. If you get on any post on here we tend to jump around on subjects because we know each other and like to comment. There are no rules about . SOMe silly people even post funny pictures. *H*U*G*S*
    in fact, there are rules against going to far off-topic - especially if the conversation never gets back on track, or if it results in multiple conversations within the same thread. it's called hijacking.

if somebody reminds us that we've drifted off-topic, they aren't being "blog police". they're encouraging us to remember etiquette.

i didn't throw in my two cents before because things got right back on track. i'm posting this only as a reminder ... not to fuss at anybody.

and now ... back to our regularly scheduled program. ;-)

Verna
    Not on-subject
    Would seem so! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Verna
    Not on-subject
    in fact, there are rules against going to far off-topic - especially if the conversation never gets back on track, or if it results in multiple conversations within the same thread. it's called hijacking.

if somebody reminds us that we've drifted off-topic, they aren't being "blog police". they're encouraging us to remember etiquette.

i didn't throw in my two cents before because things got right back on track. i'm posting this only as a reminder ... not to fuss at anybody.

and now ... back to our regularly scheduled program. ;-)
    Are there published rules somewhere? It seems to me that one single comment off subject will be viewed as just that when one is reading a thread that is many pages long. Just a thought. :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patdesign
    Are there published rules somewhere?
    you realize, i'm sure, that the question is off-topic. :lol:

there are policies and tips posted at the top of each section of the board. every member is responsible for reading and abiding by them.

back to the original subject, please. ;-)

Blog Entries
    :oops: :oops: :oops: I have bought books full price at my LQS- but only if I really WANT the book and want it now :lol: LOL But otherwise I shop around :wink:

As with anything, it is buyer beware. Know what you are buying and the best gauge is if you feel it is a fair price for what they are selling, a price YOU are willing to pay. We all have different guages.

I have see some things I'd love to have, but I feel the price is too steep for me. I don't judge them, as there are people who are willing to pay the price.

But there are others I have bought through this forum - especially magazines - that I feel have been very reasonable and I will buy again.

Our classifieds section is awesome. Just keep watching, you will eventually ind something that fits your needs at a price that is within your range.

On topic - believe the idiom "beating a dead horse." It is the responsibility of the purchaser to determine if they wish to purchase an item posted by a member. To be a smart consumer you should always check the competition's prices and determine if you want to pay the asking price. If I pay $10 for a box of caramel popcorn from the Cub Scouts that is my decision regardless of the fact that the product isn't worth $10. If a member posts a book you know you can get cheaper from Amazon then don't buy the posted item. I would prefer to believe that the folks on this board are not deliberately trying to cheat their fellow quilters. Naive? Perhaps, but don't always assume the worst about your fellow human. So that's my nickel's worth.

I haven't bought any books from anyone on this site...but if it would be what I wanted and thought it was a reasonable price(because most of these are used books) I would buy it, but I have lots of books already that I don't use. Fabric....lol....we don't have many places to buy fabric here so if I find something I want...I'll just get it.

I have found great deals on patterns and fabrics here. It's often easier to pay the price than look for an identical item. I feel I've always gotten a fair deal here.

I would check, if I think the fabric is readily available.

If I've been looking for it and it's no longer readily available, I know I might not see it again so I'm paying the asking.

And if it means helping someone out, I'm in.

Right now I look at what's for sale, but my stash is too large so I have to really, really need it, can't live without it, covet it, dream about it, have to have it RIGHT NOW!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4