Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you double check before buying here? >

Do you double check before buying here?

Do you double check before buying here?

Old 11-13-2010, 05:46 AM

I check prices even at various stores, If it is cheaper including postage then I buy if not I dont.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

As usual, the near to the bottom line is:

Let the buyer be AWARE!
Old 11-13-2010, 06:46 AM

I check Amazon for everything I buy, partly because of the price, but also for customer reviews.
Sometimes when I note that an item on here is priced higher than I think it should be I assume the person is just trying to get back what they paid for it, probably without that Amazon discount. As for patterns, I check the price online and figure in the shipping. If it is more than cost of getting the pattern new I track it down locally.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by oatw13
I check the prices on everything I buy - everywhere. You never know when you might find a better deal somewhere else.

When I sell, I try to set reasonable prices that I would be willing to pay.

I don't think anyone here is trying to take advantage, it's just that we all have different perspectives on value.
Good for you. This way you never feel like you have taken advantage of someone or that someone has taken advantage of you. With the Internet at our finger tips, searching and looking is a very easy thing to do. I save bundles this way. I also have found this site one of the most pleasant experiences of my life. I get so much valuable information, get to see what others are doing and enjoy having my "new friends".
Old 11-13-2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I do check when it comes to fabric's. I have seen some try to sell them for more than they paid. When I sell on here I generally sell for less then what I paid sometimes half unless it it is really nice piece.I don't buy books for quilting so I don't know about those.
I guess I am missing a lot of good buys. How does one look for something that is up for sale? I have never seen anything on here for sale and believe me I look for bargains.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Marvlin
Originally Posted by cjomomma
I do check when it comes to fabric's. I have seen some try to sell them for more than they paid. When I sell on here I generally sell for less then what I paid sometimes half unless it it is really nice piece.I don't buy books for quilting so I don't know about those.
I guess I am missing a lot of good buys. How does one look for something that is up for sale? I have never seen anything on here for sale and believe me I look for bargains.
Check the classified section here on the board. TONS of stuff for sale. http://www.quiltingboard.com/s-6-1.htm

OK, here are my two cents about this. The seller has the right to ask any price they wish for what they are offering for sale, as long as they are providing accurate and complete description of the items they are offering. By the same token, the buyer has the right to evaluate the items and decide whether it is something they need/want and whether it is a good deal for them. As far as I can see, no one is obligated to buy anything, we all make the CHOICE to buy or pass. I believe it is my responsibility to research the item I am buying and not the seller's. This is just my opinion, I look at the ads and decide whether it is for me or not, and no matter what the asking price is, I never feel that the seller is taking advantage of me. But this is just me. :)
Old 11-13-2010, 07:50 AM

Good for you Anne. I agree. I got took!
Old 11-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

Oh, Marvlin, you have got to check out the classifieds here. So much fun!
Old 11-13-2010, 09:07 AM

I have sold alot of my quilting books here for $7.00-10.00. I have shipped them all over the US for $2.50 or less. Maybe a little more for extra thick ones. They have all sold except 2 rather specialized ones. So, I guess my prices are in line. I don't research what they are going for elsewhere. I hope its a help to some of my fellow quilters and it thins out my collection. I have more to put up as they make great gifts from one quilter to another. If they don't sell, either its not needed or the price is wrong.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:17 PM

I purchase books, after reviewing them from the library, used from third party sellers on Amazon. I have a Prime account so the shipping is usually free or very reasonable. I have purchased books here and have been very pleased and will continue to do so in the future. The fabric I've purchased here has been awesome and it has been material that I've not seen anywhere else. It was through this board that I found favorite fabrics and charmpacks, both of which have made me very happy. All in all, while I am a big fan of Amazon, the purchases I've made from folks on this board have been fantastic. Also as someone said, the money is going to fellow quilters and so far the folks I've dealt with have been outstanding.