Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you double check before buying here? >

Do you double check before buying here?

Do you double check before buying here?

Old 11-13-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by AnneT
First things first: I don't want to offend somebody over here as I find this a very friendly community with lots of more than generous people! Thats also the reason for this posting: Do you double check the price before buying something from somebody over here? Or do you trust in the persons who offer their goods without doing a price research in advance?
IMHO and that is just, what I found out, especially books seem to be quite expensive, to say the least. Before buying them over here, I check Amazon, and most of the times, the books there are way (!!) cheaper, like half of the price here or even less. Just a thought, b/c I dislike the idea of somebody taking advantage of your good hearts and trust. Like PatriceJ says: "You are all free to choose for yourselves. I, for one, do not intend to buy anything from anyone who seems to be trying to take advantage of us or this section."
Quilting hugs from Germany,
Anne
SOMETIMES IT IS HARD to tell who is taking advantage here. I guess always check things against E bay and amazon before you buy.

Thanks for the topic. I've notice this too. :thumbup:
Old 11-13-2010, 12:57 PM

Another source for books is Connecting Threads. Between CT and Amazon,I have a nice library. I also found that some Quilt Guilds have a "sale" shop when they have their annual Quilt Guild Shows.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:41 PM

Gee, been a member since March, first time I realized thre was a classified section. Thanks:)
Old 11-13-2010, 03:48 PM

Ladies, Always good to check, I purchased a quilt calculator for $19. at joann's on line, the webinar I just sat in on had it for $39.99. Used copies are less than new ones. However, generally if you purchase a book from someone here you also have someone to ask about the quilts they made out of the book. So, I always am glad to help someone out here when I can and the advice is always wonderful that comes with it. So think about it, check it out and then make your purchase. Amazon doesn't give advise on how to make quilts, only buy the books to make them. God bless everyone here for their advise, I am honored to be a member. DianneRAb
Old 11-13-2010, 05:15 PM

yep ! i am a price checker i have found some books and material cheaper else where
Old 11-13-2010, 06:05 PM

As with any purchase - I always check prices and determine for myself what I am willing to pay. If something is worth $20 to me. I buy and will always be disappointed if I find it cheaper somewhere else but it is worth $x to me regardless of if I can get it cheaper or got a super deal. Every site and seller and buyer has the same advantage or not - I just don't buy from those whom I think are greedy.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:13 PM

I would not try to sell something because of price differences here. A book that cost $45 here, was listed as $13 in the "States", and the same goes for software and tools. May as well double the price ( and then some) and you get the idea of our situation. I would expect second hand to be cheaper, but other than that it is always the case of 'buyer beware', regardless of where you shop.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:17 PM

Carol, that little cat of yours is sooooooo cute!!!!
Verna
Old 11-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

If you feel you were taken, did you contact the seller? I always try to keep the line of communication open with everyone I deal with. Just asking because I have sold some items here and don't want to ever think I have taken anyone. I would rather give something away than think I took anyone. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
Good for you Anne. I agree. I got took!
Old 11-13-2010, 09:08 PM

Haven't bought from this forum, but did stop in a LQS in Heidelberg. WOW! It's certainly a reason to shop on line if the shipping doesn't eat you up. Compared to the prices in the US, Germany was out-of sight, and had mostly fabrics that come from over on this side of the big pond. However, the shop owner of Naehzentrum Heidelberg was wonderful, spoke fluent English, and carried a fairly reasonable line. The shop displays were breath taking. Many of the patchwork things are on her website. www.naehzentrum-hd.de If I lived in the area, for immediate gratification, I'd go back to her shop.