Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you dream in 100% cotton? >

Do you dream in 100% cotton?

Do you dream in 100% cotton?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Just do your homework and make sure you know all about taxes of all kinds and figure in all your overhead and hidden expenses. There will be the need to be open when your customers want to shop. We own a business, not to the public and expenses go up all the time, can't always pass them along, we have competitors and have to hold certain prices to keep customers happy and buying. Lots to think about. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:12 AM

When my parents owned a grocery store (different business, same concept) they always kept something that people needed at a lower cost than anyone else. They made very little on this item, but it was a draw. When I shop, it is a rare day that I come out with just the item I went in for. The point is, getting people to your site. Once they are there, they will look around and when they look around, if the quality, prices and service are good, they will buy.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

The online stores that I regularly buy from that always have great prices, only are able to keep these prices low by selling in volume, having fast shipping, low/actual shipping costs, and they happen to have fabrics that are usually very appealing to me. But what is appealing to me, may not be to you :wink: I know that many stores and online shops struggle with ordering what they think the masses will buy...
and then you are also at the mercy of the variable shipping rates to get the stock to you. (remember the last time fuel skyrocketed?) shipping costs went beserk, but consumers did not want to absorb the additional costs and many could barely afford to absorb the rise in groceries and gave up buying luxuries... Times are still pretty lean, many are and have been without full time jobs...don't know if this is the best time to start up a new business :wink: JMHO