Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you enjoy making the Quilt As You Go Quilts (QAYG) >

Do you enjoy making the Quilt As You Go Quilts (QAYG)

Do you enjoy making the Quilt As You Go Quilts (QAYG)

Old 07-05-2011, 07:16 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Zephyr
Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by Zephyr
Originally Posted by craftybear
Do you enjoy making the Quilt As you Go Quilts (QAYG)? Let's Chit Chat!
I have been working on this QAYG for quite a while. I have all squares echo hand quilted. The two groups on the right hand side have to be attached yet. I have used White and Warm for the sandwich, but surely don't know what I will be able to do for a border etc. and do I put W&W in that also?
You make it exactly the same way as you made the blocks. Pieced or one border strip - quilted to the batting and backing. Trim to size and it gets attached with sashing just like the blocks.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was intending to add a picture when tecnology got in the way. One day......
This is a group QAYG quilt my NYC Bee made for one of our members back in 2003. All the 12" blocks had to have a B&W backing.
(It's a running theme in most of our work - B&W and lime green.)

Originally, we had a piano keys QAYG border but it ended up being way too noisy so I replaced it with a B&W fabric instead.

As you can see on the back (pic was taken before all the sashings were sewn down - I prefer to do them by hand), the borders were just treated as big blocks.

Some of the talk on this thread is about making the back sashings disappear. I take the totally opposite tack - making it as lively and as interesting as possible.

Different strokes. ;-)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-221202.jpe   attachment-221203.jpe  
Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 AM

With my arthritis, it's very hard to quilt a large quilt on my machine and paying a LA-er is not in my budget except for very special quilts.

I actually do enjoy QAYG since as each section gets added, you're that much closer to being done. I've done quite a few this way and can handle a queen-size quilt.

The only problem, depending on the method used, is that if the sashing has any design elements (like HST, etc.), that could be a problem. There is a different technique to handle quilts like this.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
I am working on my fifth QAYG quilt. I use the Cotton Theory method. I developed arthritis in my hand about the same time I started quilting, so no hand quilting for me. And because I only have a domestic machine, QAYG is the best solution. I can make king-size quilts, too.

I study quilts I like and select only patterns that I can adapt to the QAYG method. I find myself inventing my own patterns (which is not necessarily a good thing for a newbie).

Like all new methods, you have to get used to QAYG and with each project, I find ways to improve my quilts. Because of my limitations, if I don't do QAYG, I can't quilt. So, that is great incentive to me to keep improving my quilts.

QAYG is a very different approach and I can see why folks might not like it, but for me, it's the only way I can quilt. It takes practice, so if a first project doesn't turn out well, that is not a show-stopper, just a reason to keep practicing.

As I told my DH yesterday, "This quilt has a lot of flaws, but it is going to be the best quilt that my mother receives from me at Christmas!"
Outstanding quilts...this is what I need to see to get me back to trying the Cotton Theory method. I just need to be a lot more precise in my sewing! Thanks for the inspiration.

Anita
Old 07-05-2011, 07:34 AM

I love mixing things up and trying new techniques. The Quilt as you Go technique is a fun one and as others have said - your pretty much all done except for the completion of the binding. I've done strip piecing, log cabin, patchwork in all the ones I've done - sold a few and given a few to charity. I've even quilted a few center panels and added sashing and borders using this technique. Just another fun way to play when I'm putting together quilts.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:48 AM

I've been working on one for my son and his wife (wedding gift - they've been married for 2-1/2 years already...oops!). It's just easier to quilt small sections than to mess with trying to shove a whole quilt under the machine while quilting it. This is only the 2nd one I've made, but I enjoy the process.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by molly oldham
I am working on my fifth QAYG quilt. I use the Cotton Theory method. I developed arthritis in my hand about the same time I started quilting, so no hand quilting for me. And because I only have a domestic machine, QAYG is the best solution. I can make king-size quilts, too.

I study quilts I like and select only patterns that I can adapt to the QAYG method. I find myself inventing my own patterns (which is not necessarily a good thing for a newbie).

Like all new methods, you have to get used to QAYG and with each project, I find ways to improve my quilts. Because of my limitations, if I don't do QAYG, I can't quilt. So, that is great incentive to me to keep improving my quilts.

QAYG is a very different approach and I can see why folks might not like it, but for me, it's the only way I can quilt. It takes practice, so if a first project doesn't turn out well, that is not a show-stopper, just a reason to keep practicing.

As I told my DH yesterday, "This quilt has a lot of flaws, but it is going to be the best quilt that my mother receives from me at Christmas!"
I really like your quilts. Yours have wider sashes than I've seen on other qayg. How are yours done?
Molly, the wider sashing is part of the Cotton Theory Method. The sashings are used to join the quilt blocks together.
I have the 2 Cotton Theory books. Do you use all the aspects of it or just pick and choose what will you for each quilt? Do you do the decorative stitching to attached the pieces?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:04 AM

I really like your quilts. Yours have wider sashes than I've seen on other qayg. How are yours done?
Molly, the wider sashing is part of the Cotton Theory Method. The sashings are used to join the quilt blocks together.
I have the 2 Cotton Theory books. Do you use all the aspects of it or just pick and choose what will you for each quilt? Do you do the decorative stitching to attached the pieces?
Molly O, I have not made any of the quilts in the two Cotton Theory books -- I just use the processes and design my own quilts. On one of my quilts, I used decorative stitches to join the quilt top, batting, and backing together. See the "Florida Gators" embroidery in the blocks of the attached photos, and the decorative stitches in the sashings.

I added Florida Gators to the inside of each block with my Bernina's embroidery feature. The inside block is only about 3 1/2 inches square, so that's all the quilting I needed in this area.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]221242[/ATTACH]

Sometimes I used contrasting thread to do decorative stitches (see right side of the picture), and sometimes I used matching thread in the sashing (on the left of the photo).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]221243[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-221236.jpe   attachment-221237.jpe  
Old 07-05-2011, 08:06 AM

I like the quilt as you go method. I think it is easier to get the blocks quilted and put together than struggling with a big piece in the machine. Georgia Bonesteel's lap quilting books are a great guide to this method and full of great designs. I do still hand quilt both large and small projects occasionally.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Do you enjoy making the Quilt As you Go Quilts (QAYG)? Let's Chit Chat!
Thanks for the post.

A few years ago I purchased some finished 6 inch quilt square samples. I've been hesitant to put them together. Looks like it won't be so difficult.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:56 AM

I like it for smaller quilted projects; the carrot sticks table runner from "all people quilt", hot pads, etc.