Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever get rid of old fabric that is poor quality? >

Do you ever get rid of old fabric that is poor quality?

Do you ever get rid of old fabric that is poor quality?

Old 10-25-2020, 11:14 AM

I use old fabrics of poorer quality with my granddaughter who I started teaching to sew just before the pandemic, now she has to wait.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:41 AM

Oh yes, quickly. I toss without regrets. I don't even pass it on to the free table at Guild or Bee. It's all in the category of, "What was I thinking?"
Old 10-25-2020, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

You could use it as a foundation for a QAYG or paper piecing.

I don't have any fabric that is inferior quality.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:52 AM

I bought a ton of fabric at an estate sale when I first started quilting. There was so much there that they sold a full box for $25.00. I think I bought two or three boxes. After a couple of years, I figured out that I would never use it, so I sent a bunch of the larger pieces to a friend on another quilting forum who makes quilts for kids in Africa. (So she wouldn't have to piece backings.) After another year or so, I donated some to Project Linus. My spouse passed in the spring, so when I packed up his clothes for the Salvation Army, I sent most of the rest of the estate sale fabric with the clothes. I'm not sure if the SA will actually sell it or bundle it up with the old clothes, though. I know I'm not going to use it either way. Someone will use it if you just look around.

bkay
Old 10-26-2020, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

I use the lesser quality fabrics ( as long as they are cotton) for foundations for log cabin blocks, string blocks, etc. I always wash them first to tighten up the weave.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:04 AM

I usually use it for practice pieces. Or scrap to use to make sure the machine is stitching well before I start on my project. Muslins when I'm making clothing or any of the other things I need scraps for.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:49 AM

Had one of my long posts typed out. Decided to shorten it, so this is the short version!

Do not burden yourself with things you don't want, like or use, even if they are useful -- if you haven't used something in 5 years or see yourself using it, you are just storing potential and how useful is it really??

For truly bad fabric, like that which runs, we have fabric recycling which is where things like old pillows also go. Don't pass on problems!

For other stuff, plenty of ways to donate. Small amounts can go to a thrift store. It will do best if you fold it neatly and put it in a clear bag/large ziplock baggie. Large amounts can go in boxes, but make sure the store will take them that way. In my part of the country, pretty much all general thrift stores (as opposed to clothing consignment) have fabric in the linen section.

Pretty much every Tuesday at my weekly small group someone is offering fabric "before it goes away". Is funny the different things people want, couple weeks ago I had a bag of stuff I had gotten at the thrift store and one of the ladies was just thrilled by a piece of vinyl in there for a machine cover she wanted to make for her son or something... People are always giving us bits of fabric and such as well. We support several different charity groups ourselves (either with fabric or projects) and then pack up the non-quilting stuff and donate it back out.

We all have different tastes, different budgets, and not all of us are quilters and some are happy to use poly blends. Even those that are might want to make a project to take to the beach or for a horse or whatever....
Old 10-28-2020, 04:21 AM

True story. I lived near Mexico/So. Texas border when I first learned quilting. My SIL took me to a fabric warehouse that had fabric piled on tons of tables. Very inexpensive. Long story-short--My sis was wearing a simple dress I had made. When she dropped a lit match in her lap, the dress skirt practically engulfed in flames! She wasn't burned, but I never used cheap fabric again!
Old 10-28-2020, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
True story. I lived near Mexico/So. Texas border when I first learned quilting. My SIL took me to a fabric warehouse that had fabric piled on tons of tables. Very inexpensive. Long story-short--My sis was wearing a simple dress I had made. When she dropped a lit match in her lap, the dress skirt practically engulfed in flames! She wasn't burned, but I never used cheap fabric again!
The fiber content was what made the fabric burn so easily easily. Also loosely woven fabrics burn faster than tightly woven ones.

I bave done burn tests with tiny pieces of fabricv- like 1/4 x 2 inches - . It is better to do them outside than in the house. Because some fabrics seem to put out noxious fumes.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:01 AM

You know whats crazy? I went and started to collect the cheap fat quarters I had and I got all panicky and had to put them back, so odd the emotions that overcome us. I will do it again this week and take a picture of them and maybe post it online so I know it goes to a good home, see if that helps me let go