Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever have a jinxed project?

usually call a sewing gal pal and we muddle through what i'm doing wrong. usually involves a bottle of wine.

Blog Entries
    I have had plenty of those projects. Especially paper pieced. I have never got the hang of that. Even had a teacher stand over me and still couldn't do it!

Quote Originally Posted by annesthreads
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Yep Me too! I've got one right now that I decided enough is enough. Its a 6 year old ufo and it over! It has had bad quilting mojo from the start. Piecing was a nightmare, I choose homespun not understanding its worse than trying to sew two live snakes together. Two sewing machines broke during its construction, broken needles, missed stitches, puckers, if something could go wrong it has. So I decided last week I was gonna finish it and be done. Its not meant to be, Immediately the thread in my machine starts fraying, the bobbin area gets a jam of thread. Throwing in the towel on this one. I'm having a fire tonight outside and this quilt is going in it! The funny thing is I started making this quilt for my ex-husband. The pattern was called Carrie Nation. Well just like my marriage to him, it was more drama than I wanted in my life.
    Oh Lea, thankyou for the laugh! I think that quilt is trying to tell you that that part of your life is definitely over!
    Well I did it! I burned that quilt last night, it took all I had to give up on it. And guess who called at 2 am drunk? He needs Carrie Nation.

Quote Originally Posted by jansquiltn
    usually call a sewing gal pal and we muddle through what i'm doing wrong. usually involves a bottle of wine.
    ..so even if you can't sort it out, you don't care any more?! :-)

Yep Me too! I've got one right now that I decided enough is enough. Its a 6 year old ufo and it over! It has had bad quilting mojo from the start. Piecing was a nightmare, I choose homespun not understanding its worse than trying to sew two live snakes together. Two sewing machines broke during its construction, broken needles, missed stitches, puckers, if something could go wrong it has. So I decided last week I was gonna finish it and be done. Its not meant to be, Immediately the thread in my machine starts fraying, the bobbin area gets a jam of thread. Throwing in the towel on this one. I'm having a fire tonight outside and this quilt is going in it! The funny thing is I started making this quilt for my ex-husband. The pattern was called Carrie Nation. Well just like my marriage to him, it was more drama than I wanted in my life.
    Oh Lea, thankyou for the laugh! I think that quilt is trying to tell you that that part of your life is definitely over!
    Well I did it! I burned that quilt last night, it took all I had to give up on it. And guess who called at 2 am drunk? He needs Carrie Nation.
    Well done Lea! Sounds like that quilt became a great symbol of the cleaning out and moving on that you've obviously been doing in your life. All the best to you.

Quote Originally Posted by mmdquilts
    I have had plenty of those projects. Especially paper pieced. I have never got the hang of that. Even had a teacher stand over me and still couldn't do it!
    I ESPECIALLY can't do something if I have a teacher standing over me!

I'm cross about thinking I had run out of material for a project - only to discover the pattern wasted half of it by cutting down the blocks to a finished size.If I had realised what the finished sizes should have been then I would have had enough...it's languishing under the bed...

Yes, I say take your time. I found out a couple of weeks ago when I joined one fo the bOM clubs that has lots of paper piecing, that it's easier to do it by hand than by machine. I find it relaxing and can take it with me in the living room where my hubby is watching tv. It really goes much faster for me and more accurate.

Blog Entries
    I am working on the Hoopsisters mystery quilt. The week 5 blocks are giving me fits. They are the hardest blocks in the quilt.( Not really that hard) If there is a stupid mistake I can make I have made it. Cutting pieces too short, putting on the wrong fabric. You name it I have done it. I finally got all 8 blocks finished and realized I had reversed 2 fabrics. So now I am remaking all 8 blocks. It was the background fabric so it really shows. GRRRRRR! I have 4 done. I am forcing myself to finish the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by meanmom
    I am working on the Hoopsisters mystery quilt. The week 5 blocks are giving me fits. They are the hardest blocks in the quilt.( Not really that hard) If there is a stupid mistake I can make I have made it. Cutting pieces too short, putting on the wrong fabric. You name it I have done it. I finally got all 8 blocks finished and realized I had reversed 2 fabrics. So now I am remaking all 8 blocks. It was the background fabric so it really shows. GRRRRRR! I have 4 done. I am forcing myself to finish the quilt.
    Not just me then!! I feel much better!

Oh yes! I had so much trouble with it. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong - with the fabric, the machine, the thread, you name it. I even put it away for several months and then tried again. Same thing! When finally finished - and it was just a crib quilt, mind you - I stashed it in a drawer. I am afraid to give it away as I don't want to pass on bad vibes. lol

Really appreciate the laughs this morning! I inherited a UFO, the blocks didn't even lay flat - I finally decided 5 years years of feeling guilty every time I spotted it in with my stash was enough penance (for what I don't know) and out in the trash it went!

I decided that Iíd like to make a lap quilt for my Mum. I chose a paper-pieced block that looked to be well within my capabilities, but Iím really struggling! Do you ever have a project that just seems to be jinxed? Anything I could do wrong I have: sewing the fabric on the wrong way round, getting the fabric doubled over, cutting off the wrong piece of paper..... at one point the needle even fell out of the sewing machine! Each block has 4 sections: I got 2 sections together and they wouldnít line up. Three days and I havenít even completed one block! And there are 30 in the quilt.... If I donít manage to get the first one completed today, itís back to the drawing board.
    At my house they are called " a Jonah" and I throw them overboard. froggyintexas

This tends to happen to me when I pp! Takes me awhile to get back into the grove of doing it. Guess that's why I don't do it much, lol... Just do one block at a time, is my best advice.

Quote Originally Posted by RkayD
    YES! and it always seems that the ones that I want to be a little more perfect than usual always have the most mistakes. I mean..I can sit and whip one up for no reason and it doesn't have a slipped stitch one. But if I'm making one for someone special...grrr... How does it do that??!
    Oh yes -- I have seen this!! I did a QAYG that would not -- I spray basted the backing and batting and the backing (yes it was washed) rippled. I spent 2 weeks making a table runner that I have done in 1 evening. The difference -- this was a gift I wanted just so (should I mention that I had special fabric and had to resize the blocks because I had ripped so much) and the others were slapped together (with no problems at all). I started over, altered it, pieced it and then quilted it -- I was not as happy with it, but it worked and she loved it.

Super Member ChildoftheUniverse's Avatar
    I feel your pain! 30 blocks like this would be a daunting task for me... let us know how it goes for you!

I was given an applique kit for a wall hanging. I decided to make it for my aunt, and I worked on it for two months. From the beginning, the instructions didn't seem quite right, but I diligently followed the instructions. The end result was horrible. The instructions said to bind the quilt before doing the hand quilting, which resulted in puckers throughout the quilt. I thought about taking the binding out, but the instructions said to bind using the birthing method (which I will NEVER do again) so I wasn't able to do that.

Fortunately, I was able to make my aunt another wall hanging, but now I have an ugly puckered up wall hanging. My goal for this year is to repurpose/reuse instead of filling up the trash with more trash, but I am at a complete loss as to how to repurpose this project. Any ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    our local landfill is decorated by my jinxed projects. :lol:
    oh you are braver than I am....I keep my 'jinxed' projects hidden in a drawer. I would die of embarrassment if the garbage man was so stunned by my jinxes that he refused to pick up my trash!! :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops:

You know what....I just remembered that I have several blocks from my husbands' grandmother that don't lay flat....I feel so guilty 'cause every time I look at them all I can think about is taking them apart...or throwing them out...I need to stop that!!

Well, I started the second block this afternoon, and for a while thought I was going to be telling you that I'm winning. I made all 4 sections with "only" 2 mistakes - I thought. Then I came to sew them together and discovered that somehow one of the star points has been lopped off beyond the 1/4in mark. And that's after really taking my time and concentrating. Unbelievable. I'm now going to walk away and have a nice restorative cup of tea and come back to this tomorrow. Think I'd better dig out a ufo to give me something else to do - I'm going to have to take this one VERY slowly. I'm already sick of it and I haven't even finished the 2nd block :thumbdown: But it will look fantastic if I can ever do it, so I'll persevere for now.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieR
    Yep! I'm working on one now .......... so now we're in the 1/8" seam allowance territory. I HOPE.

This thing is about to become a dog blanket. I'll send my college-bound niece a box of microwave popcorn and a check.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    I know how you feel. I am working on a Frank LLoyd Wright wall hanging for my DDIL and I am going crazy since even with my quarter " foot I can't sew a perfect 1/4" seam. This has lots of pieces with 1/4" (cut @ 3/4") black strips between the pieces. I want to scream. Will post my wonky wall hanging when finished but it is definitely not my best work!!! :oops: :oops:

Quote Originally Posted by klutzyquilter
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieR
    Yep! I'm working on one now .......... so now we're in the 1/8" seam allowance territory. I HOPE.

This thing is about to become a dog blanket. I'll send my college-bound niece a box of microwave popcorn and a check.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I may have to buy a dog....

Zoe
    Your reply has made my day :lol: I find that if I am sewing a quilt for someone else, it seems to go wrong. Maybe it's the added pressure I put on myself. I realized some years back when a close friend who has never quilted wanted me to make a quilt for her granddaughter. She wanted twenty-four squares of the Dresden Plate pattern that meant lots of handwork. She also wanted the squares to be twenty inches each. I thought then ohmyGod! When I gently suggested to her that I knew of two young women who sew and quilt for extra money and both of whom are excellent, my friend replied "I'm not paying for this!" That cured me and I need to remember--sew and quilt because I love to not because I have to. :D

Today's block is now finished, with only 1 more small mishap. I've now turned with a sigh of relief to a ufo -at least I might make some more progress with those!

I think I may in the midst of one - 'Nake Quilt for my grandson. I keep trying to work on it but it just isn't "getting it". He'll be three on 9/17 but it sure won't be done by then (probably!) :roll:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast