Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever look at quilts on here and... >

Do you ever look at quilts on here and...

Do you ever look at quilts on here and...

Old 07-15-2010, 11:23 AM

keep trying
Old 07-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ginnie6
just think that you are not really a quilter? Some of them are so beautiful and at times I despair over ever making something that pretty. Especially when I spend a day like yesterday......ripping out seams! I guess i should give myself a break.....I just started quilting last year after all and I have made what I think are some pretty quilts.
NOPE! I am a quilter because I have made and continue to make quilts. I think mine are pretty and I know they are functional. They may not be show-case material but for now, that is not my goal.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:47 PM

I was that at first but I am learning to admire and then think of all the wonderful things I am learning from all these talented quilters. It gives me motivation to try new things that I have been too afraid to try :thumbup:
Old 07-15-2010, 01:13 PM

When I see some of the quilts here I'm envious sometimes and wish I had the talent and desire to create some of the beautiful work others do. But then my own quilt styles are entirely different. I'm content with my old fashioned quilt patterns. I like the scrappy looks. I admire the applique quilts; I have done a bit and hope at some point I will make a quilt for myself. What I do get here is the inspiration to try something outside of my comfort zone. I see pattern designs and fabrics that I never thought of trying and now want to give them a try. So, don't ever feel inadequate. It's all a learning process. My feeling about ripping out (unsewing), although sometimes frustrating, is all part of the process. So shall you sew, so shall you rip!
Old 07-15-2010, 01:19 PM

Oh the negative self talk we diminish ourselfs with. I do too. But, I love the reminder that it is a journey we are all on. Styles and goals for our quilts will change as we travel along the journey. I do swap sometimes and feel like people will be so disappointed with my simple designs. But then someone reminds me that the eye needs a place to rest to balance out a quilt. I really want to try the next row robin, but not sure if I have the guts to try. I am just flabber gasted about the beauty of the quilts on that thread.

in the end, just keep at it and ENJOY.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:25 PM

Remeber all of the little not quite rights make it hand made and unique, and also they probably won't see the oops' if you don't show them!
Old 07-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

Definately! But I make quilts generally to please myself so on I go again. I really enjoy looking at people's finnished product but also know I will never be able to make some of them. As long as you sew/tie layers together you are a quilter in my book. If the quilt is for the dog or if it is for an art show doesn't matter.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:47 PM

As someone who is a beginner to the quilting--and sewing in general--world, I am in awe of so many of the quilts that get posted here. But I look at them as possibilities and inspiration to drive me to keep going in hope that someday I too can make something that beautiful.

And BTW, a Sunbonnet Sue quilt like what you have posted in your avatar is one of my dream quilts :D
Old 07-15-2010, 02:16 PM

hehehe! I *know* I'm not a real quilter, but am sure having fun trying! :lol:
Old 07-15-2010, 02:21 PM

I'm a perfectionist (and am obsessive compulsive, too!!) so quilting was a real challenge for me in the beginning because I wanted everything to be...well..perfect. Needless to say it wasn't and I became so frustrated that I quit for a couple years. I never lost the "desire" to make quilts but I needed to quit punishing myself because my efforts weren't living up to MY standards. It's taken me a while to get back into it but what I've learned is that they don't need to be perfect to be "loved". After all, we're not perfect but we're "lovable", right? I realized I wasn't having any fun in creating. I was too "up tight" about getting everything perfect. I wasn't going to enter any of my work in a juried show, was I? So I retrained my mind to quit obsessing about their imperfections and just enjoy the process. Since I've had a different frame of mind, I've created better projects and enjoyed it so much more.