Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever look at quilts on here and... >

Do you ever look at quilts on here and...

Do you ever look at quilts on here and...

Old 07-15-2010, 02:31 PM

It is so refreshing to hear each of you say exactly how I am feeling. I am such a "beginner" and a perfectionist that I feel like all of my work looks awful and I will never be a good quilter. The best compliment I rec'd was from a longarmer who completely fixed a huge mistake on one side of my quilt because I didn't quite match up and she thought that for a beginner I had taken on a huge project (It was a Fons & Porter Christmas Sampler quilt) and with all the piecing detail, applique and that she couldn't believe I picked all the materials to match. I wanted to kiss her. My husband told her that no one would even see the "mistake" but that I would surely point it out to everyone because I was such a "perfectionist". Boy does he know me!! So Thank You all for showing me that we all feel alittle insecure about our work when we should be singing with joy that God gave us this talent!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes I feel that way. And then I see the wonderful look on someones face when they get one of my quilts and I feel better.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:32 PM

It's ok to make mistakes, that's how we learn. Keep going and working on your quilts and you will be making beautiful ones too! Everyone starts out a beginner, the trick is to keep trying and learning. And if you have any questions or problems, someone on this site would be more than happy to help you. Some more experienced quilters on this site have partnered with beginners. Maybe if you ask for a mentor, someone near you will help you! All you have to do is ask!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

Yes. I have had that feeling. Also at quilt shows. I entered a show just once. Never again.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:15 PM

Ginnie:
Just believe in yourself. The board is here to answer your questions and if you're not sure, just ask. I've been quilting for 2 years and I still have issues with some of my projects.

Sometimes I want to kick myself, but my husband tells me I am being too critical on myself. He encourages me a lot and loves everything I've made. He claimed one of my lap quilts I made from scraps because he loved it so much. He was even sleeping with it because he said it was so so soft! It was cute to see how he appreciated my work and for that I am grateful.

Now when I want to go shopping for some fabric, I have his blessings!

My husband's lap quilt he claimed hot off the machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]76134[/ATTACH]

the back of it (this is a poly/cotton blend). All made from the scraps of the other quilts I made. Most of this fabric was free.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]76135[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-76129.jpe   attachment-76130.jpe  
Old 07-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Pam

Every time I make a quilt, I wonder if this is the one I will enter. I have not yet, but by golly I will! I do both traditional and art quilts, I am a complicated woman. How can I choose just one place to put my efforts?
Old 07-15-2010, 04:33 PM

I am in awe of the large quilts I see here. (Am a beginner and just happy to finish wall hangings!)
Old 07-15-2010, 04:47 PM

I feel the same way sometimes.

I love looking at the wonderful quilts on here, though. It gives me something to aspire to.

I think, too, a PART (not all) of quilting truly is talent. Some quilts are works of ART, comparable to something hanging in an art gallery somewhere!
Old 07-15-2010, 04:54 PM

I think we all our own worst critic but its just a part of the learning process. My family and friends all think that I do great work - so I am happy that they like it and I will be forever trying to improve my quiltmaking.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

There's always two ways to look at everything. Rather than be intimidated by the work of others change your mindset to inspired. As you can see from the responses, you aren't alone in the way you feel, but if you want to continue your quilt journey and enjoy it...just learn to look at things a different way.

Now take a big breath, go for a walk or pull some weeds and get back to your quilt....and then plan the next....happy stitching (and ripping...that is something we all do!).