Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever look at quilts on here and... >

Do you ever look at quilts on here and...

Do you ever look at quilts on here and...

Old 07-16-2010, 05:44 AM

I look on this board and I see quilts that I admire and think WOW! I also remember that I have only been quilting for a short period of time and what I am able to do is wonderful! I also hear experienced quilters on here talking about seam rippers as if they are their best friends which tells me that even the best seasoned quilter makes mistakes too. I try to remember to give myself a break and keep trying new things. We all start off as beginners.....even experienced quilters who step outside of their boxes to try new things. My advice.....loosen up, relax and remember....this is suppose to be fun!
Old 07-16-2010, 05:50 AM

I haven't been quilting long - in fact I am more of a topper or piecer. I marvel at some of the work on here, but I love to see what others are doing and it promotes so many ideas
Old 07-16-2010, 06:23 AM

Years ago I told my husband I needed to take a sewing class because I needed to be around people that sew. He asked why. I told him that people that sew want to succeed, but they want everyone else to as well. No climbing over someone else's back, but helping each other along so that in the end, we ALL get there. I still feel that's true. So let's all get to where we are going, helping each other along the way! That's what it's about, whether a quilt, dress, or life!
Old 07-16-2010, 06:30 AM

I have to work on a few quilts at a time or I get so boarded. I just have one quilt out at a time the rest are in 2 gallon ziplock bags--fabric and pattern.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:41 AM

I've been looking at all the quilt photos and I think I want to make one of every one I see - LOL. I have yet to make a perfect quilt. There is always a boo-boo somewhere. But I almost never make the same pattern twice so I learn something new with each quilt. The thing that irks me is that we have an HQ-16 but I don't have the time to practice to get good on it. I'm still doing pantos and using groovy boards. When I see the gorgeous long-arm quilting on here I feel so inadequate. I know that until I quit working and can devote more time on the mid-arm that my quilting will be so-so. Darn (and stomping my foot).
Old 07-16-2010, 06:51 AM

Just like everyone I look at so many of the quilts on this site and wonder where in the world they learned to do some of their quilts. They are all so beautiful and imaginative!
Old 07-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ditter43
No.....This is not a competition...it's supposed to be fun!
I strive to improve and dream of making that one quilt that wows everyone that sees it, but mainly I do it because I love fabric and all the different things that can be created with it.
Learn to love the journey :D
I totally agree!
Old 07-16-2010, 07:31 AM

Raptureready,
Thank you for all your encouragement on quilting and life lessons. I appreciate you and your comments.
We all start as neubees, and either progress or stagnate. How wonderful it is though to experiment and say, "WOW, I made that"!
Old 07-16-2010, 07:58 AM

I love looking at the quilts made by all of the members here...however, I often feel that I am only in the "finger-painting" category and those beautiful quilts were made by the "Picassos of the Quilt World"...(sigh) but I will keep trying anyway... :thumbup:
Old 07-16-2010, 08:01 AM

Remember, 1) it is supposed to be fun, 2) no one is perfect, and 3) each of us has skills in special areas of quilting, 4) we are usually way too hard on ourselves, and 5) not everyone can see designs in their heads or come up with them without a pattern. I am best at piecing and machine applique, I can hand and machine quilt, but it is not what I like best. I can duplicate any pattern for a quilt in colors I like, but making one up from scratch drives me crazy. And so far, I am lousy at FMQ. I guess it is the perfectionist in me ---if only I had a switch on my brain.