Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do you ever wish your machine would measure miles of thread?

Do you ever wish your machine would measure miles of thread?

As I have been doing some marathon sewing these past few days, I have wondered if anyone else wishes our machines would measure miles of thread. I go through spools and spools of thread. Piecing charity quilts, making baby quilts, it is a rare day that I don't sew at least a little. Especially in the winter months. I try to get my thread either on the half price sales or with coupons at Joann's.

I used to keep track of the empty cones of thread as a measurement of how much I really sewed. The "collection" of empty cones got quite large... and took up space I needed for fabric. Some machines do keep track of the number of stitches.

Blog Entries
    yes, i wish it would. i've always been curious about that. and can it measure the bobbin thread, too . the only problem with this is that it is just one more thing that can go wrong with the machine and, i'm sure, would be very expensive to fix
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I feel like I've crossed the united states a few times ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

NE California - no where near the Bay Area!
    I made a king sized quilted duvet cover using jelly rolls a few years ago. I went through 4 spools of thread - first time going through a whole spool on a project. Farm equipment keeps track of hours, why can't a sewing machine keep track of hours and stitches. I always wonder how many hours and stitches my old machine had on it.

I'm afraid mine would have a nervous breakdown as I detail to great length, some of my quilts. I like the way it brings nature scenes alive, but it does use a huge amount of thread!
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

Seems like i saw somewhere on the web that told you how to estimate the length of thread by how many stitches. No idea where. :/

Blog Entries
    I never thought about how much thread I use. I like to see a spool getting empty because it means I'm doing something. I waste a lot of thread though. If a bobbin as a little thread on it, I pull it off and start with an empty bobbin. I pull the fabric away from the needle pretty far most most times.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 02-14-2013 at 09:49 AM.
    Got fabric?

Yes, I would like to know just for the fun of it. I can tell by the number of spools it takes to finish even a lap size quilt, it's a lot.
    jean

Blog Entries
    I would love to know how many "miles" I have put on my Janome since I bought it. That would be a neat feature to have.
    Sherri